From PhD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bengisu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I am an international student in Europe. I have a B.S in Molecular Biology and Genetics and PhD in Cellular Biochemistry. I would like to apply for M.D in United States. I am considering 3 yera MD programs. Once I heard that there is a special Md program in Miami, Florida where PhDs can get MD in 2 years. Are thre such programs around? With this CV I have, do I have to take MCAT exams?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion and information.

Thank you very much.

Bengisu

Members don't see this ad.

I have a PhD and have not heard about any accelerated MD programs in the US for those who hold advanced degrees in biomedical science. Every school I applied to required me to take the MCAT.

Bengisu said:
Hi to all,

I am an international student in Europe. I have a B.S in Molecular Biology and Genetics and PhD in Cellular Biochemistry. I would like to apply for M.D in United States. I am considering 3 yera MD programs. Once I heard that there is a special Md program in Miami, Florida where PhDs can get MD in 2 years. Are thre such programs around? With this CV I have, do I have to take MCAT exams?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion and information.

Thank you very much.

Bengisu
Miami used to have a special PhD-to-MD program that lasted 2 years. The graduates were highly successful and practiced in all areas of medicine (see articles in the New England Journal of Medicine). This program was discontinued at the request of the LCME (they accredit North American Medical schools). Some say it was all political.

There are no three-year M.D. programs in the U.S. that I am aware of for those entering with a four-year degree (though I personally know a graduate of the Medical College of Ohio who did this when this school had such a program). Washington University in St. Louis used to have a three-year M.D. for Ph.D.’s but I don’t think they do any longer. I heard a rumor that Duke has a three-year M.D. for Ph.D.’s but I cannot confirm the integrity of that.

Two Canadian universities have a thee-year M.D. (McMaster and University of British Columbia; Canadians – please correct me if I’m wrong), but neither will accept internationals.

Most Americans will tell you that it’s best if you obtain medical training in the country that you intend to practice in. This is usually the country that you hold citizenship in. This will circumvent one having issues with funding medical school training and making sure you can become licensed and use the degree if it’s from another country. However, like many things in life, what seems insurmountable at first glance may be overcome if you have enough persistence.
Bengisu said:
With this CV I have, do I have to take MCAT exams?
Yes, as I found out, ALL American schools will make you take the MCAT - internationals with B.S./B.A. degrees owe them this exam too. It's their system, so we have to play by their rules. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Scottish Chap said:
Two Canadian universities have a thee-year M.D. (McMaster and University of British Columbia; Canadians – please correct me if I’m wrong), but neither will accept internationals.

McMaster and University of Calgary are 3 year programs but I think UBC is 4 years. I am not sure what their policy is for international applicants.

RunMimi said:
Duke only requires 3 years for PhDs.

That is so true. Love Duke for that.

mdsadler said:
McMaster and University of Calgary are 3 year programs but I think UBC is 4 years. I am not sure what their policy is for international applicants.

Calgary - that's right. Thanks for the clarification....and they don't accept internationals either.

there are several people on here who already have or are pursuing a PhD.
i) Yes, you do need to take the MCAT.
ii) As far as I know, there are very few accelerated programs.
iii) moreover, if you really want to go to medical school in the US, most schools like to see either premed requirements or an advanced degree from a US/Canadian school. This is particularly true if you are an international student.

If this sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through, that's because it is. I know because I have been there :p

mdsadler said:

McMaster is right. Unsure about internationals though.

Thank you very much to all of you.

I am just thinking if I need to do this pre-med thing, it will a little long then even if I am accepted to an accelerated MD program. I am 26 years old and sometimes think it is a little late. How does it work when you graduate? If you want to specilaize like to become an ophtalmologist etc., does it take long? Is it possible to get financial aid or scholarship while studying in med school? Is it possible for an international student?

Thank you very much.

Bengisu

When I entered the website for med school of Duke I could not find this 3 year accelerated Md program. Is there special link for that? Or how can I reach to that and get some information? Thanks.

bengisu

RunMimi said:
Duke only requires 3 years for PhDs.

Well, because third year medical students at Duke spend the entire year either doing research or taking classes at some other schools. This is why students with PHD spend three years at Duke which are MS1,2 and 4

Thanks again. Well, I now know that I have to take MCATs. And I have a slight chance to get financial aid. But is there a chance that I can skip this one year pre-med study of which courses I covered during my B.S and PhD? Have you heard of anybody who had doen this or any ideas?

RunMimi said:
Well, med school is 3/4 years for PhDs once you matriculate. So assuming you enter next fall (2006), and you don't get into an accelerated program, you will graduate when you are 31. Then you have to do a residency. This website has info about residency lengths, lifestyles, pay, etc. http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/byspec.html The info relevant to your question is ophthalmology takes 4 years of residency. So full up doc by 35 years old.

In regards to your other wuestions about financial aid and scholarships for international students. Well, you aren't eligible for federal loans, which a lot of school depend on. Some schools with lots of money can supplement this with their own funds for you. It varies from school to school, check with each one, but it is possible at some schools. Scholarships for med school students are rare because you will make a lot when you graduate. There are some but you have to be *stellar* . Good luck.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bengisu said:
Thanks again. Well, I now know that I have to take MCATs. And I have a slight chance to get financial aid. But is there a chance that I can skip this one year pre-med study of which courses I covered during my B.S and PhD? Have you heard of anybody who had doen this or any ideas?

These courses, the ones Runmimi listed have to be taken in the US otherwise, they do not count and you'll have to take them in the US.

GuyLaroche said:
These courses, the ones Runmimi listed have to be taken in the US otherwise, they do not count and you'll have to take them in the US.
My pre-req's were completed in the U.K. and were acceptable to a few American medical schools. However, all of those schools asked for either a higher degree from the U.S. (M.S. or Ph.D.) OR 90 credits of education in the sciences from the U.S. Most of the schools that took me seriously were bigger, research-oriented schools. Small state schools don't care because they won't appreciate research accomplishments as much so you may have a tougher time there. So, as you can see, it is uncommon but not unheard of. Good luck!

Thanks again. How about the situation in England? I know there are 4 year accelerated programs. Do you need to take MCAt kind of exam? Does one nedd to do one year pre-study? And what is the cahnce of being accepted as a foreign student and receiving financial aid?

Bengisu

Bengisu said:
Thanks again. How about the situation in England? I know there are 4 year accelerated programs. Do you need to take MCAt kind of exam? Does one nedd to do one year pre-study? And what is the cahnce of being accepted as a foreign student and receiving financial aid?

Bengisu
Some, but not all, of the English and Welsh schools with the 4-year MBBS/MBChB (equivalent to the U.S. M.D.) ask for the GAMSAT, which is kind of like the MCAT, but not as lengthy and not as hard. Other schools like Oxford, Cambridge, and a couple of London medical schools have their own exam (MSAT, BMAT) - again, not quite as bad as the MCAT. So, to have the best chance of acceptance, there’s an excellent chance you’ll have to face one of them. You should find this forum useful for other questions: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/

I think it's always difficult for foreign folks to gain medical training in a country where they are not a citizen...and, academics aside, the major difficulty upfront is the financial aspect. If you are accepted, finding money for tuition, that is. It's best to contact the schools you are interested in; there is no better testimony. Good luck!

CanuckRazorback said:
McMaster is right. Unsure about internationals though.

Internationals beware. McMaster willl tell you they accept internationals to get your money....then they'll send you a letter saying the "international pool is on hold". I have no respect for a school that does that. They need to be more honest and organized. Of course I was rejected.....yet Toronto invited me for an interview (I'd be an international there).....so McMaster makes even less sense.