From PhD to PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldWiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on starting my PhD next year, and I'm considering Pharmacology in part because I've read articles online that rate a Pharmacology PhD as having the best career prospects. However, to better solidify my career prospects, I'm considering pursuing a PharmD after completing my PhD, so my question is, does a PhD in Pharmacology facilitate my pursuit of a PharmD degree (such as having many classes overlapping, and thus not needing to be repeated for a PharmD), or are the two degrees different enough that my workload and years of study are not reduced at all compared to a postbacclaureate entering Pharmacy school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on starting my PhD next year, and I'm considering Pharmacology in part because I've read articles online that rate a Pharmacology PhD as having the best career prospects. However, to better solidify my career prospects, I'm considering pursuing a PharmD after completing my PhD, so my question is, does a PhD in Pharmacology facilitate my pursuit of a PharmD degree (such as having many classes overlapping, and thus not needing to be repeated for a PharmD), or are the two degrees different enough that my workload and years of study are not reduced at all compared to a postbacclaureate entering Pharmacy school? Thanks.

I don't think it'll be reduced much, unless you do a combined PharmD/PhD program.

Combined phd/PharmD program would be optimal in your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that your best bet is to do a combined program.

As a PhD student, I have to ask, why are you getting a PhD in the first place? Both qualifications are incredibly different. The one prepares you to do research, the other prepares you primarily for professional practice (although you could still do research if you so choose). What kind of career are you hoping for that will be strengthened by a PharmD? Because if your primary intention is to carry out research, you will not need the professional degree to do so. And if it is professional practice as a pharmacist, you won't need the PhD, either.

To answer your question, no, your workload and years of study will not be reduced at all compared to a postbaccalaureate entering pharmacy school. Compare the curricula of a pharmacology graduate program and a PharmD to verify this for yourself.