From PT to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dubDPT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to find out from those who have made the transition from PT or other allied health professions to med school; how was the transition and why did you decide to attend med school.

I am seriously considering going to med school after I finish up the requirements for admission, while I work for 1-2 years as a newly graduated PT. I just came to the realization while in PT school that I wanted to have the capacity to fully care for a patient, whether it be as an ortho doc performing surgery or a PM&R doc providing comprehensive musculoskeletal medical care. I would not limit myself to these specialties, and would be open to others while in med school.

Any insightful info would be appreciated.

Warren

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would certainly encourage you to do it. My experience was that only about half my class was satisfied with their career choice after graduation from PT school.

I worked for 3 years in spinal cord injury rehab at the VA hospital in Richmond, Virginia (one of the larger SCI hubs for the east coast). I worked with some great people but found myself rather limited in my options. I didn't want to go administration, I don't particularly like outpatient ortho, and to be honest, I got a little tired of prescribing wheelchairs (although it is a rather complicated process) and wrenching my back during transfers and the ever-present getting the patient OOB.

I was only missing two semesters of organic chemistry, so I decided to take it at night while working full time and I really lucked out because the VA compensated me $500 per semester for my expense, even though they knew full well I was going to med school. I had an obligation to work for them for a year or I would have to pay the money back but I was going to have a whole year of applying after orgo anyway.

I have to say that taking orgo by itself wasn't too bad and I did well. I wouldn't have liked it with a full semesters worth of credits but I suppose that's why you adjust your schedule accordingly in undergrad :)

I took the MCAT in April 2003 and began the application process. The transition has been great. The study habits I developed in PT school have REALLY paid off this quarter while some of my classmates are struggling to shrug off the undergrad mentality of cramming for tests. I knew to start studying early in the quarter and to stay on top of things even when it is overwhelming.

There is another PT in my class, a COTA, an NP, an RN, and a PA. None of us regret taking the long road to medicine - I think you'll have a good transition!!! Study hard for the MCAT.

Gotta concur with the above, my story is a carbon copy (except for the reimbursement)...now I am out and it is fantastic.
I loved PT and always will, but it wasn't challenging in the EBM or science arena for me. I loved the manual medicine aspect (hence the DO), but I really needed MORE.
Many of my close friends left PT also, I don't think that is uncommon.
I can tell you the earlier you go back to school, the easier the transition will be.

delicatefade & DocWagner

thanks for the quick personable responses. When I read both of your post my wife and I both believe that I share the same positive feelings about the field of PT, but believe that medicine is the correct path for long-term career satisfaction. I appreciate your comments.

warren