Quantcast

MD From Silicon Valley to Post Bacc- Mapping Path, Resources?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gordonswhore

Reaction score
Good afternoon, All! I realized this afternoon that the time had finally come to transition from the role of serial lurker to active participant in the many glorious conversations that are had here on the site. :laugh:

Given the many months that I've spent going around and around in my head on the best route to get from point A to point B, I came to the conclusion that it would be brilliant to benefit from the insight and experience of the many honorable souls that have tread this path before.

My Background:

--Supply Chain Management (B.S.) - 2015
--Computer Information Systems & Design (B.S.) - 2015

[Both degrees "with honors". The school in question has a magnet honors college that requires you to produce a research deliverable 150-200 pages in length over the course of the final four semesters of schooling. Mine focused on the supply chain disparities that exist between the coastal and inland regions of China {scintillating!} Business school well regarded, supply chain program consistently outranks Carnegie Melon, university honestly nothing special.]

-- 3.62 cGPA [noted I enjoyed myself in college a great deal]
-- Successful internship/employment upon graduation at prominent Silicon Valley semiconductor firm (celebrated 1st anniversary in June); application developer, strategic analyst, etc.
-- No tangible volunteer experience beyond seasonal corporate initiatives in last ~year.
-- No tangible clinical experience.

At the ripe old age of 23, I am in the process of developing a two year road map to transition into a post-bacc program with the intent of pursuing a career in allopathic medicine. My current role, while livable/comfortable, is intellectually and philosophically loathsome. Will spare the life story. :laugh: I'm just grateful that this resource exists to connect with and learn from those that may have had to facilitate a transition of this magnitude in the past.

I've been kicking over ideas in my head as far as next steps in this space:

-- Potentially pursuing Red Cross CNA Certification program in the interests of pursuing more meaningful clinical volunteer opportunities (four month evening program, $1500, medium-sized investment overall).
-- Obviously, leaping into a sustained volunteer opportunity as soon as an appropriate fit is located. I am thinking women/girls in STEM/tech, given my background. It's meaningful to me and opportunities abound.
-- Truthfully, I would have to dredge up my SAT scores, but I know that I got a 2050 overall (noted I enjoyed myself a great deal in high school as well, chuckle chuckle). Does one retake the SAT for schools that only take SAT scores? I am already planning on taking the GRE/GMAT (whichever is deemed more relevant by the group).

Forged in the fires of manufacturing fortitude, I have learned a great deal about myself, my abilities and where my true passions lie. However, I feel like I don't even know where to start; is what I've done up to this point relevant enough to warrant an application in the next six months (which I hardly can believe), or, what do I need to be doing in the here and now to continue to progress towards this goal?

Total novel, I know. In truth, you guys are absolutely awesome. To anyone that made it through this post, I salute you. :laugh:

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

>>gratuitous SPAM because SPAM

Thanks, All!!!

Reactions: 1 user

brochacho123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first step is getting some clinical exposure/shadowing to determine whether this is the right path for you. This is especially important for career changers. After committing to this path, you can complete your pre-reqs at a CC or local state school. A formal program is not necessary. Your cGPA is good enough where you do not need serious GPA repair. Completing the pre-reqs with a solid GPA would be enough.

The SAT/GRE/GMAT is not required by any MD school that I am aware of. After completing the above, you can start preparing for the MCAT.

SDN is a great resource. Read as much as you can (particularly the nontrad forum). There are many others who have done this. Best of luck

Last edited:

gordonswhore

Reaction score
Brochacho, thanks so much for your feedback!! :spam:

Honestly wasn't anticipating a response that quickly! Would you see value in pursuing the CNA certification in the clinical experience space? And would community college credits be meaningful to a JHU/BM/Columbia?

brochacho123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brochacho, thanks so much for your feedback!! :spam:

Honestly wasn't anticipating a response that quickly! Would you see value in pursuing the CNA certification in the clinical experience space? And would community college credits be meaningful to a JHU/BM/Columbia?

If it is something you are truly interested in then go for it. Anything that will improve your understanding of the career path you are about to pursue is valuable. You can do this in many ways and being a CNA is certainly one of them.

Are you referring to post-bacc programs or medical schools? As I previously mentioned, while formal programs are helpful they are by no means necessary and most are very expensive. Some MD schools do not accept CC credits. To be safe do your research beforehand. MSAR indicates JHU does accept CC credits and there is no info on Columbia about CC courses

gordonswhore

Reaction score
Are you referring to post-bacc programs or medical schools? As I previously mentioned, while formal programs are helpful they are by no means necessary and most are very expensive. Some MD schools do not accept CC credits. To be safe do your research beforehand. MSAR indicates JHU does accept CC credits and there is no info on Columbia about CC courses

This is actually really great feedback to have. I'll admit that my pathos was swayed by the placement figures of most post-bacc programs, especially in light of my non-science undergrad. However, it sounds like looking into a non-degree seeking program at UC Davis (I'm Sacramento based) might be worthwhile after all...