From someone living in cali

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerbomb18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into ANY dental school given the fact that i'm from California... I know California schools are competitive and out of state students are not very favored... Thanks!

Science GPA: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.4
Undergrad: University of Southern California- B.S. Neuroscience
DAT: 20 AA, 21 TS, 21 PAT, 23 Ochem
Volunteer: UCLA School of Dentistry.
Research: Nationwide dental project with UCI Pediatrics, Healthy Smiles for Kids, Nationwide Children's Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of getting into ANY dental school given the fact that i'm from California... I know California schools are competitive and out of state students are not very favored... Thanks!

Research: Nationwide dental project with UCI Pediatrics, Healthy Smiles for Kids, Nationwide Children's Hospital
Not all the California schools are competitive. WesternU, for example, is relatively less competitive.

Reactions: 1 user

Consider yourself lucky. There are six schools in cali, many of which heavily favor cali residents. This makes getting accepted in California much less difficult than you think. Apply to at least 5 of these schools. And if you choose your out of state schools wisely, you have a good chance of getting into those schools, too. Based on your numbers and experience, I would say you have a good chance of being accepted. Make sure you crush your interviews. I'm a firm believer that your resume (application) gets you the interview, but your interview determines whether or not you are accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have relatively similar stats like you. I applied to 5/6 of the California schools and received interviews at Western and USC. Will be attending USC this fall.

I also applied to several schools outside of California and received a few interviews and an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I have relatively similar stats like you. I applied to 5/6 of the California schools and received interviews at Western and USC. Will be attending USC this fall.

I also applied to several schools outside of California and received a few interviews and an acceptance.

Congrats:)!! If you don't mind me asking, what out of state schools did you apply to and get interviews/acceptances?

Congrats:)!! If you don't mind me asking, what out of state schools did you apply to and get interviews/acceptances?

I applied to NYU, ASDOH, UNLV, Tufts and Midwestern AZ to name a few. Got interviews for NYU and ASDOH. Got acceptance for ASDOH and waitlist for NYU.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile