from the moment you sumbit the application to receiveing a spot. How much time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am a Canadian planning to attend a dental school in US right after finishing my 4 year undergraduate degree. Should I aim to send my application at the end of my 3rd year or near end of 4th year to stay on schedule? How long does it usually take from the moment you sumbit the application to receiveing a spot? Thanks guys as always! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Hey guys! I am a Canadian planning to attend a dental school in US right after finishing my 4 year undergraduate degree. Should I aim to send my application at the end of my 3rd year or near end of 4th year to stay on schedule? How long does it usually take from the moment you sumbit the application to receiveing a spot? Thanks guys as always! :thumbup:

If you want to stay on course and jump directly from your undergraduate career into dental school then apply at the end of your third year (May or June is ideal). US dental schools have an agreement amongst themselves that they do not notify applicants of an acceptance until after December 1st - so that is the soonest that any applicant can find out. I submitted my application on June 1st and had a couple of acceptance in my mailbox on December 1st. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Sprgrover gave an excellent answer.
yes he did, he/she always gives good answers

ItsGavinC said:
Sprgrover gave an excellent answer.

I concur. I think Sprgrover should become moderator.

3 cheers for Sprgrover!!!

Hoorah! Hoorah! Hooorah! :)

Thank Sprgrover for the reply and the support of others !! :D

I guess if I apply at the end of my 3rd year , the chance of me getting in will be pretty slim since my GPA is not that stellar. So should I aim to apply after I finished my 4th year? would my chance increases if I apply after I finished my 4th year as oppose 3rd year? Thanks!!

Smooth Operater said:

I got lucky...my app was complete end of October thru TMDSAS, and I interviewed and received my first letter on Dec 1.

But I think my case was extremely rare and oh so fortunate....but my advise...apply early!

Smooth Operater said:
Thank Sprgrover for the reply and the support of others !! :D

I guess if I apply at the end of my 3rd year , the chance of me getting in will be pretty slim since my GPA is not that stellar. So should I aim to apply after I finished my 4th year? would my chance increases if I apply after I finished my 4th year as oppose 3rd year? Thanks!!

Having a degree - in anything - is a tremendous advantage. Finishing your undergrad would increase your chances, especially if your gpa isn't white hot. I understand your desire to move on with your life asap, but taking a year off might not be such a bad idea. I took one myself (I'm still on it, as a matter of fact) and others have to. You can fill your time by working, traveling, taking it easy, and so on - things that you won't have time nor money for while in dental school. Best of luck!

egpndoc said:
yes he did, he/she always gives good answers

He. ;)

airvent said:
3 cheers for Sprgrover!!!

Hoorah! Hoorah! Hooorah! :)

delicious said:
I concur. I think Sprgrover should become moderator.

Ah, thanks guys! I haven't been posting as much lately because I have been working way too much lately. It's nice to know that I haven't been forgotten! :)