From the recruiter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inez2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-6-15_11-21-32.png

Members don't see this ad.

There are only like 500 residents every year- I don't buy that 4/5 are going into those subspecialties. Also, only 145 jobs? Maybe only in those subspecialties, that this recruiter knows about.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only like 500 residents every year- I don't buy that 4/5 are going into those subspecialties. Also, only 145 jobs? Maybe only in those subspecialties, that this recruiter knows about.
Majority of the graduating residents do more than fellowship, so nothing is wrong with these numbers. Also, hem and cyto are very popular subspecialties. I guess hem+cyto+surgpath subspecialties roughly equals 90% of all fellows. For me 145 sounds like a very high number.

In 2015 there were a total of 446 test takers for heme, derm, molecular, and cyto boards. I was one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure who controls the number of ACGME residency slots in the US, but we have really been hurt as a profession over the years by the maintenance of a high number of spots in the face of a tepid job market.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this correct? If so, it was certainly not true for the sample of 8-10 people I finished residency with recently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry, I was wrong. It is probably a little bit less than half: http://s3.amazonaws.com/ascpcdn/sta...ts/Fellowship+and+Job+Market+Surveys+2015.pdf

Anyway, it is a significant number. Also, that graph shows intention and final result can be different, i.e. if one planning to do two fellowships he likely will do that. But if somebody planning do one he might change his mind later and do more - that happened with one of our residents. Her intention was do derm but she ended up doing GU and derm. I think in our program half of the graduates do more than one.