From the women who have gone before me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... what are the most comfortable interview shoes?

'Cause they sure as HELL aren't the naturalizers :)scared: ) I bought. Yes, I've got big, wide feet. Yes, I've got no arch. But am I really relegated to orthopedic granny shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

From a fellow small-yacht sized shoe wearer, try Eccos. I bought a pair recently and they felt great right out of the box. Go to a store that specializes in Dansko, Ecco, Birkenstock, etc. They tend to be more customer-oriented and will actually measure your feet with one of those old-timey foot measurers.

These aren't the hippest shoes out there (no pointy toes or crocodile), but they look sharp and go with anything.

Best of luck!

Munro shoes are really comfortable, too. They are, however, not the most fashion forward. But they aren't all granny shoes. And they are excellent at fitting wider feet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got really wide feet too. The interview shoes I got are Lifestrides - seem to be pretty comfortable so far, but my first interview isn't until next Sat, so I'll know more then. I wore a pair of theirs to a wedding and have never kept a pair of shoes on through an entire wedding until this pair.
Softwalks are also comfortable - I love them for clinic, but I didn't find any I liked for interviews. I've got a pair of naturalizers too - they slip on me throughout the day.

I Love Danskos! I have two pairs. A warning, once you start wearing them, it seems like a huge sacrifice to put on another pair of shoes. They are expensive ($115 or so), but you can get "seconds" online at their website. I found out about this option after I had bought mine, but I have a friend with two pairs of "seconds" and she says she can't figure out what was wrong with them. Also, if you are still a medical student "The walking company" does a 10% off discount.

Okay - after interviewing last weekend in my Lifestrides, I honestly couldn't tell I'd been wearing heels all day. My feet felt fine.
Good luck.

This is a somewhat late reply, but Cole Haan makes some incredibly comfortable dress shoes. They even have ones with "Nike Air" technology built in, so it's like running shoes disguised as dress shoes. They're a tad expensive, however (usually 150$ +), but you can sometimes find them at outlet stores for much cheaper. Also, Born makes some very comfortable shoes that I can occasionally pull off as dress shoes with the right outfit.

Hey ladies! I'm a bit past the interview stage - I'm guessing by this point you most likely have received your acceptance letter:luck: :luck: :luck:

Anyways, I just bought a pair of Cole Haan flats with the Nike Air and am anxiously awaiting for them to come in the mail. Pricey - but worth it I hope!

I've heard that Linea Paolo's are super comfy, but haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I did buy some Dansko Mary Janes and ended up with blisters the first day, I think they need some breaking in first but I hear they are the way to go on rotations.

I've got some Dansko's and love them. I've got funny problems with my feet and knees and these are a god-send so far. We'll see how they hold up when clinical rotations come around...

My cole haans came in the mail today - so far so good, nothing amazing as of yet. We shall see. And i broke down and bought two ugly pairs of dansko clogs - YUCK! Some days you gotta go for the comfort.

Since I carried a briefcase to my interviews I had room for a pair of sneakers (all black, Diesel) and when it was time for the school tour I took off my heels and put them on. It felt SO DAMN GOOD and I could keep up with the tour guide. All the other girls were jealous :laugh: