Frustated with Writing Projects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melanoma4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am currently doing basic science research for a year (in a derm-related field), but common wisdom on this forum seems to be that quantity>>quality of publications for Derm Applications.

With that in mind, I have been trying to find writing projects with any sort of "derm" relation or twist--not only to strengthen my derm application but I feel writing will help my knowledge base!

Most of my many, many, many attempts have led nowhere. I have been unable to find small projects (e.g. case reports/reviews/book chapters/anything!). There is also a fine line between being aggressive and being annoying--I do not want to be the latter.

I am worried because my research is basic science (so who knows how the project will go). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to find projects besides just emailing and re-emailing attendings?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most research fellows I've encountered usually also spend part of their time in clinic, which I have found to be the best way to get involved in those little CV filler projects. See an interesting patient, look up their issue, then ask an attending if they think it would be a good topic to write up.

I don't really see anyone stating that quantity > quality as far as research goes. It's just a LOT easier to do 10 case reports than 1 first author research article.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I couldn't sympathize with you more. I don't go to a very research-oriented school. It's a great school in my opinion, but our strength is in clinical experience......hands-on taking care of sick people. All I can say is try to ask around and ask which prof's at your school publish a lot, and tell them your situation. Case reports are really, really easy to write. Anyone from your place match derm last year? Ask their advice. That's what I did (but then only March will tell if I match or not). Best wishes!

Hey Everyone, I am currently doing basic science research for a year (in a derm-related field), but common wisdom on this forum seems to be that quantity>>quality of publications for Derm Applications.

With that in mind, I have been trying to find writing projects with any sort of "derm" relation or twist--not only to strengthen my derm application but I feel writing will help my knowledge base!

Most of my many, many, many attempts have led nowhere. I have been unable to find small projects (e.g. case reports/reviews/book chapters/anything!). There is also a fine line between being aggressive and being annoying--I do not want to be the latter.

I am worried because my research is basic science (so who knows how the project will go). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to find projects besides just emailing and re-emailing attendings?

Thanks!

Dude I'm pretty sure that everyone has unfortunately been there. I've been relatively lucky with attendings and PI's but probably should have double the pubs if everything went my way and I'm sure this is the same for most. I think just keep at it is the best advice...I've had one attending sit on a review that I spent 2 months on during 3rd year. He was definitely motiviated to get it out...then he left our school. 2 months wasted...but I still email him about it, lol.