Frustrated/need feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dozitgetchahi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've gone on three DO interviews at this point (CCOM, OUCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM). I've been waitlisted @ CCOM, and if OUCOM accepts you, it's supposed to notify you by email the Monday morning after your Friday interview. I interviewed last Friday and I've recieved nothing in the way of email from them....thus, I'm assuming waitlist/rejection. I haven't heard back from UMDNJ yet.

I'm starting to get extremely worried about this whole situation. My stats (3.63/31P) are certainly competitive at the DO schools I've interviewed at. I think I'm interviewing pretty well - in fact, my interview @ OUCOM was far better than the one I had at CCOM, I felt, and I was definately getting better at it. I have an interview @ LECOM-E next week Thursday, and ones at KCUMB, KCOM, Touro-New York, and Nova in December.

What could I be doing wrong?

- I shadowed two DOs; the first wrote a lousy letter that apparently wasn't even on letterhead (learned this from an interviewer @ the OUCOM interview) and the second isn't returning calls about writing one. Could it be because I don't have a "real" DO letter? (BTW, I do have an MD letter.)

- If so, could somebody who lives in the Cleveland area who shadowed a DO that actually was willing to write a rec letter please PM me with that doc's contact info (if, of course, said doc is open to having more students shadow)?

- Does anyone else know about things I could unintentionally be doing that are destroying my chances? I really liked OUCOM and thought I stood a great chance...

Members don't see this ad.

just a suggestion- would it hurt to call or e-mail and stress how much you are dedicated to going to their (OUCOM) school if they accept you.

??

that is of course, if you are and would --but why not tell them if you are that interested. Maybe it was not clear enough in your interview.

However that is just my two sense :)

So take it or leave it.

anyway
good luck to you.

You have to convince them that DO is not your backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stated at the OUCOM interviews that OU was my top choice (it was) and that I really enjoyed the campus, liked the opportunities the school provided, etc. I read several books on osteopathic medicine and was able to talk at length with the DO interviewer about my knowledge of the profession and so on...

How else should I go about making it obvious that I really want to become a DO?

With those stats and having been offered interviews, I'd say your application is not the problem, and something must be happening at your interviews. You need to make it clear why you're interested in osteopathic medicine. For me, I talked a lot about wellness, prevention, research into OMM...You also need to show that you are confident in your decision to pursue medicine, but also humble and ready to learn. And be sincere!

I actually spoke less about the specific schools during my interviews. Both the schools I interviewed at were excellent and I made note of my reasons in my secondary, so I really focused more on why I was interested in medicine.

you said OUCOM was supposed to notify you today? the day is barely over
give it some time before starting to worry too much
give them a call and ask them whats going on if you want to

Yeah, I guess maybe I'm jumping the gun here. I'm trying to keep the faith but it's hard...they said at the interviews that the emails were going to be going out 8:30 Monday morning, but there has been a lot of snow here in Ohio today...maybe the admissions staff came late because of it or something.

sounds like people's nerves are already getting frayed and it is not even December. People are going to be completely neurotic come Feb and March! To the OP, you have a ton of interview chances left. These schools see something positive in your app and I am sure you will be getting an offer. KCUMB for example doesn't interview a ton of ppl and has a relatively high acceptance rate for interviewees (is that a word?). Good luck!

I think you're probably worried for nothing, although that DO that wrote the letter on regular paper and not letterhead surely didn't help your app at all. You have interviews at a lot of other places I wouldn't worry too much, not every school is going to like you. Just keep your head up and don't let the other schools affect how you interview in December and you'll do fine. Good luck.

sounds like people's nerves are already getting frayed and it is not even December. People are going to be completely neurotic come Feb and March! To the OP, you have a ton of interview chances left. These schools see something positive in your app and I am sure you will be getting an offer. KCUMB for example doesn't interview a ton of ppl and has a relatively high acceptance rate for interviewees (is that a word?). Good luck!

UHMM yea!! I don't blame him. My nerves are getting frayed and I'm not even applying until next year.:scared:

Yeah, I'm expecting a call today and haven't heard yet, so I'm a mess. I'm teaching a class at this very moment and a couple of my students commented on how wasted I look. It's all emotional...yikes

This process really is a mind-F. But you'll get in somewhere and the cloud will lift and the tables will turn.

It feels great drafting YOUR first rejection letter to a school. :smuggrin:

With ten interviews, you are golden. You are in a better position than people like me with five interviews. Just relax, because you will get in for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey halive, I'd like to think so...that's essentially what everybody said when I told them I was applying DO. "Oh, you're all set, with your stats you should be able to take your pick of osteopathic schools, you'll get accepted no problem, you should be aiming for MD schools, etc." I took most of this with a grain of salt but still figured that I'd have multiple acceptances to choose from. At rate things are going here, I may not have any to choose from. It's inordinately frustrating to spill your soul out in front of these interviewers and still, somehow, come up short over and over again.

Hey halive, I'd like to think so...that's essentially what everybody said when I told them I was applying DO. "Oh, you're all set, with your stats you should be able to take your pick of osteopathic schools, you'll get accepted no problem, you should be aiming for MD schools, etc." I took most of this with a grain of salt but still figured that I'd have multiple acceptances to choose from. At rate things are going here, I may not have any to choose from. It's inordinately frustrating to spill your soul out in front of these interviewers and still, somehow, come up short over and over again.

My take away was that getting into a DO school isn't easier, it's just different. And it sure as hell isn't easy - it's not purely a numbers game. Everyone's ******* friend is an expert, but the truth is, there's much to this process that only those brave enough to go through it themselves will ever understand.

You're in the final stretch of the admissions process. It's easy to get overwhelmed, but don't stop running just yet. Pump yourself up before your upcoming interviews, and don't dwell on past results.

I like to stand nude in front of the hotel mirror and beat my chest before I put on my suit. And you think I'm kidding.

Don't panic yet. If OUSCOM hasn't sent out an e-mail its likely they did not get around to discussing the files of Friday's applicants. There would be no reason for them to notify only those who were accepted and not those who were waitlisted/rejected today. Its more likely they didn't notify anyone. You still have plenty of interviews ahead of you and only one waitlist to date...you're doing great!

(As a side note, I was also waitlisted at CCOM two years ago with above average stats and a very weak DO LOR. Because they are capable of attracting top candidates, I think they may be sensitive to those using them as a back up plan. The good news is that not all the other schools are that particular as long as you show interest in them and Osteopathic Medicine.)

Don't panic yet. If OUSCOM hasn't sent out an e-mail its likely they did not get around to discussing the files of Friday's applicants.

Dude, that's what I was thinking earlier today - it was keeping me hopeful. Unfortunately, I later talked to some other people who interviewed last Friday and found out they had gotten email acceptances this morning :confused:...so barring some sort of screw-up on their part (which may be possible given that they had to send my interview letter twice), it's bad news here too.

But I agree - isn't it kind of mean to reserve speedy notification only for the acceptees? Even the denied applicants have a right to know, for they could be holding other acceptances that need a final decision, etc...

If you feel like it's something to do with your interviews and not your application. Have you considered the type of person you portray yourself as in your application in comparison to your interviews? Maybe you are coming across differently in your interviews than they perceived you were?

Just a thought but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Your probability to get in with that many interviews is tremendous!

Hang in there and best of luck!

But I agree - isn't it kind of mean to reserve speedy notification only for the acceptees? Even the denied applicants have a right to know, for they could be holding other acceptances that need a final decision, etc...

Honestly, that doesn't sound like them at all. You should call and find out what the deal is. It may just be an oversight.

Dude, that's what I was thinking earlier today - it was keeping me hopeful. Unfortunately, I later talked to some other people who interviewed last Friday and found out they had gotten email acceptances this morning :confused:...so barring some sort of screw-up on their part (which may be possible given that they had to send my interview letter twice), it's bad news here too.

It could be an oversight. Although, it also could be that they ran out of time and didn't get to discuss all the files or they're holding your file for another meeting. If you don't hear from them in a day or two, a polite phone call would be appropriate.

So I emailed one of my interviewers to figure out what was going on...and the response was interesting. I've been waitlisted - and it seems to be because they felt my physician letter was weak.

Reading this information literally made my heart sink. Getting the @#%& physician letter was quite literally the most exasperating aspect of the application process for me - it took months of cold-calling DOs, writing letters to DOs, using the "mentor" search function on the AOA website only to have none of the "mentors" reply, etc. to merely find a handful of DOs who were actually willing to let me shadow them. Then, after shadowing said DOs for hours and hours I had to deal with the nonsense of them "getting busy" and ignoring phone calls, emails, etc to keep from having to write the letter in the end.

This happened over and over and over again - at least 3 times in all.

And the sole DO letter that emerged from that process is apparently so "weak" that it won't get me into medical school.

To hear that this aspect of the process has reared its ugly head again frankly makes me want to scream. I've shadowed docs for at least 100 hours and the adcoms don't seem to care because there's not a "strong letter" from a physician to back it up.

I hear all the time on here about people "scrambling" DO/MD letters that apparently pass muster with the adcoms and I'm frankly amazed that people can pull this off - because no docs around here seem to want to help me like that.

God, if anyone has some sort of tips and tricks as to how to get a decent letter, or perhaps contact info of a DO who will actually write the %$#@ letter after I invest my time in shadowing him or her, I would be eternally grateful to them. Heck, I'd come clean out your garage or something...or maybe mow your lawn ;)

God, I can't believe this.

Last edited:
That must be so aggravating!

I wish I had something to tell you in regard to finding a DO letter but I dont ---at least they did not reject you.

Did you ask if there was something you could do to fix that problem?

Anyway
still more interviews to go right?---so I assume that you can find a way of clarifying the problem to the interveiwer in the future.

stressing the fact that you tried to find DOs to do so might help...

but maybe you already did do this.

Alright --best of luck.

Last edited:
So I emailed one of my interviewers to figure out what was going on...and the response was interesting. I've been waitlisted - and it seems to be because they felt my physician letter was weak.

Reading this information literally made my heart sink. Getting the @#%& physician letter was quite literally the most exasperating aspect of the application process for me - it took months of cold-calling DOs, writing letters to DOs, using the "mentor" search function on the AOA website only to have none of the "mentors" reply, etc. to merely find a handful of DOs who were actually willing to let me shadow them. Then, after shadowing said DOs for hours and hours I had to deal with the nonsense of them "getting busy" and ignoring phone calls, emails, etc to keep from having to write the letter in the end.

And the sole DO letter that emerged from that process is apparently so "weak" that it won't get me into medical school.

To hear that this aspect of the process has reared its ugly head again frankly makes me want to scream. I've shadowed docs for at least 100 hours and the adcoms don't seem to care because there's not a "strong letter" from a physician to back it up.

I hear all the time on here about people "scrambling" DO/MD letters that apparently pass muster with the adcoms and I'm frankly amazed that people can pull this off - because no docs around here seem to want to help me like that.

God, if anyone has some sort of tips and tricks as to how to get a decent letter, or perhaps contact info of a DO who will actually write the %$#@ letter after I invest my time in shadowing him or her, I would be eternally grateful to them. Heck, I'd come clean out your garage or something...or maybe mow your lawn ;)

That's terrible. I have a feeling you're from the East Coast (judging by your pick of schools), but if by the slim chance you are in AZ (or Phoenix, to be more specific), I can forward you contact info for 2 DO's I managed to find that were able to help me out with the same situation last minute because they understand how difficult it can be to get that letter. Are you thinking of forwarding the new letter to the schools where you were waitlisted, or still applying/interviewing at? Good luck :(

*edit* NVM I just read from the first post that you're from Cleveland. Well, good luck anyway and I can only hope that my "last-minute" letters don't keep me out of medschool either :/

Wow. I can't believe that.

I got really lucky with my DO. She was the first one I contacted, I shadowed her, and she wrote a letter. But she didn't know me that well so I can't imaging it was amazing, probably just a nice letter. I also sent one from and MD that I knew very well, and that was much more personal. The point is to show that other physicians can see that you are well suited for medicine and that you have a sincere interest in the field. Do you know any MDs that can write you a more personal letter to send along with you other letters? It might help for the other interviews.

Hang in there, and good luck with the rest of them.

@dozithgetchahi

Was the DO letter your only physician letter of recommendation? That said perhaps you can shadow another DO and get a better letter? I would talk directly to Dr. Schriner to see what can be done, especially if this is your top choice.

IamAriDO

Last edited:
Sorry to hear what you are going through. I know this is a tough process, just try and minimize the amount of info you give on this board. Trust me, admissions read this kind of stuff. I believe you are drawing attention to a weak area in your application when you might be okay in some schools that might not really care about your letter. You have a very strong applicant profile and a school that will admit you will admit you. Good luck and be strong.

You now I have to reply to this as a mentor...

I can plead guilty to being very very busy and unable to reply to students emails/requests for shadowing.....but I think that prospective students need to understand we have limited time...we are donating our time to help them out...I have mentored many students while I was UMDNJ and now that I have relocated to the PNW i will continue to mentor students....feel free to post me a note/email me if you need a reference....especially if you are interested in Pathology....:love:
My former students will recognize my moniker.....and i hope to mentor many more
:)
I am now located in Seattle Tacoma area..so yakima and western located students are invited to us me as mentor

You now I have to reply to this as a mentor...

I can plead guilty to being very very busy and unable to reply to students emails/requests for shadowing.....but I think that prospective students need to understand we have limited time...we are donating our time to help them out...I have mentored many students while I was UMDNJ and now that I have relocated to the PNW i will continue to mentor students....feel free to post me a note/email me if you need a reference....especially if you are interested in Pathology....:love:
My former students will recognize my moniker.....and i hope to mentor many more
:)
I am now located in Seattle Tacoma area..so yakima and western located students are invited to us me as mentor
We do understand your time is limited, but it doesn't take that much more time to right a letter on letterhead and make it strong, with all due respect. Physicians are already established but should recognize that we need a lot to get ahead until we're practicing like you. If someone can't or doesn't want to write a strong letter they should be upfront rather than screwing over what appears to be a good applicant.

I haven't heard back from UMDNJ yet.

If you interviewed anything in the last month (End of october through now), then you will not hear from UMDNJ until just before thanksgiving. The adcoms meet only once a month, the 3rd Friday of the month. Tomorrow. This is why you have not heard from UMDNJ.

Try to relax. I know that this is hard but stay focused if you have other interviews. Remember, you only need 1 acceptance.

Good luck

Simply based on the numbers and the amount of time you have, I would actually seek out an M.D. letter of reference and then also submit a letter of intent to the school. In the letter of intent, tell them that you will be shadowing a physician during your winter break (I assume you are still a student), and that you are entirely committed to osteopathic medicine, but due to the overwhelming burden put on osteopaths in your area due to supply/demand for their services you have been unable to establish an enduring mentor-pre-med relationship at a time that was able to yield a letter. Accordingly you will offer them an allopathic letter to speak to your compassion, professionalism, conscientiousness, maturity, etc. And you will offer them further details in your letter of intent regarding your specific pull toward osteopathy rather than allopathic medicine.

My guess is that the D.O. you shadowed didn't feel like he/she knew you very well. I find shadowing to be a cruel requirement. I hold two D.O. acceptances and I have never shadowed a D.O., rather I have worked with M.D.'s...so it is possible to get around that "strong suggestion" to shadow a D.O. as long as you build a compelling application otherwise.

I think the OP has already been accepted somewhere, but for others still in agonizing process of finding a DO to shadow, I actually never shadowed the one who wrote me my LOR, and when specifically asked about that particular "shadowing experience" during an interview, I was honest and told them the guy basically did me a favor so I could get that requirement done on time and move on with the application process. I then steered the conversation to another shadowing experience I had (with no LOR) and my other volunteer experiences. Accepted. :thumbup: