FSU

Started by smokinjoe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed there. Pretty laid back atmosphere. No, scratch that. Very laid back atmosphere. 😀 Very helpful and friendly med students they have there. They're in the process of building new facilities. Unfortunately their class size is pretty small, only 40 or so, hence they only interview a little over 100 students. If you get an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Their focus is on producing primary care physicians.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL. Depends on who you ask. Florida State University for most people. Non-AMCAS med school that was recently approved by the State Legislature of Florida. (Great year to be non-AMCAS might I add!)
 
non-AMCAS, huh? So how do you apply? Like Columbia through a third party web application? Help me with some info here, will ya.
 
mongoose: You can apply to their medschool via <a href="http://www.fsu.edu," target="_blank">www.fsu.edu,</a> they should have a link to the med school app on the main page.

Snuffleuffagus: Any new med school has to go through the LCME accredidation process. It's nothing new. The first year is already accredited through PIMS (Program in Medical Sciences). The PIMS program was there for over 25 years I believe, before the state of Florida decided to give FSU its own med school due to current and projected physician shortages. The PIMS students used to do their first year at FSU, then come to UF and do years 2, 3 , and 4. Provisional accredidation of the second year should be given by the LCME next month I believe. All 4 years will be accredited by the time the inaugural class graduates. Honestly, there's too much money and power involved for it not to happen. Just my $.02.
 
md2be06 did you get in? what were your interviews like specifically, panel or one on one, how many also? How soon until the school will get accredited?
 
smokinjoe: Haven't heard anything yet. Even though they're rolling, most acceptances aren't granted until they have a better feel for the applicant pool. When I interviewed, I was told that they start accepting the vast majority of people in December. I had 2 one on one interviews, both were 50 minutes long. No stress at all. They just want to get to know you, and see if you fit in with the type of class they're striving for. Anyways, like I said, the first year is already accredited. I don't think all 4 years can be fully accredited until their inaugural class graduates, which will be 2005.
 
thanks for the info md2beo6, good luck with your application-were there alot of questions in your interview concerning your interest in primary care and why.