full coarse load

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsb_

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in second year of my undergrad studies in canada. I am currently taking 5 coarses this term however, I want to drop one of my classes due to its affect on my gpa. Is this wise or should I just stick with this class and try to get a better mark - its not a prereq for optometry

also im taking a full year summer school coarse (biochem) - will this be included to my second year hours?

Members don't see this ad.

hsb_ said:
I am in second year of my undergrad studies in canada. I am currently taking 5 coarses this term however, I want to drop one of my classes due to its affect on my gpa. Is this wise or should I just stick with this class and try to get a better mark - its not a prereq for optometry

also im taking a full year summer school coarse (biochem) - will this be included to my second year hours?

I was in a serious car accident in my Grade 12 year which led me to start University not keen on taking a full course load, so I didn't. I took 4 classes a semester for the first two years and caught up over the summers. I also dropped a class in fourth year giving me a "W". None of these things affected my application in the least.

hsb_ said:

I was a full time student for the four years of my degree and then my 5th year I am just taking two classes a semester (pre-reqs that I didn't finish with my degree) and it has not been a problem for me. I am also Canadian :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hsb_ said:

I've dropped courses so that my GPA wouldn't be affected. They never asked me why I dropped the courses I did!

I've also taken summer courses and when you apply they'll look at the total credit hours you've taken and how you did in the particular courses....

At my university, if you take a summer course it is listed under "SUMMER SESSION 2005," for example.

I dropped a course my junior year of undergrad (it wasn't a pre-req) and when I interviewed at ICO I was asked the reason why I dropped it. In a way it was nice, because I got to explain myself, but then again it was kind of odd, because it seems people drop courses pretty often. I think as long as your grades are fine for the rest of your courses and seeing that it's not a pre-req, I wouldn't worry. Just be ready to explain it to some schools.

if you're planning on applying to a US school you'll be fine, Waterloo would most likely frown upon a W though, i was told failing a class is better than a W because overall the one class does not affect your GPA that much ("apparently" but we all know that a D would be devasting to your overall GPA). but anyway "W" shows you're a quitter in UW's eyes, and i can't really blame them, though i still think it's unfair.