Full License in Texas for IGM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCMFM2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any particulars for this subject

I am an US IMG PGY 2 resident and just started my application for Texas full unrestricted license.

I have completed 2 years of residency which is required for IMG's and I sent a quick blurb to someone at the Texas Medical Board regarding whether I could apply and they said everything seemed well.

However, I paid for and then starting the application and there are some forms which makes it unclear if I qualify until I am board certified. I am still applying and I think it should be fine but I wanted to know if anyone had information about getting a license in another state and using that to apply for licensure in Texas? So specifically, is it possible to apply and obtain a full unrestricted license in another state with less stringent requirements for IMG's and then use that to obtain a Texas license in order to bypass at the red tape?

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find any particulars for this subject

I am an US IMG PGY 2 resident and just started my application for Texas full unrestricted license.

I have completed 2 years of residency which is required for IMG's and I sent a quick blurb to someone at the Texas Medical Board regarding whether I could apply and they said everything seemed well.

However, I paid for and then starting the application and there are some forms which makes it unclear if I qualify until I am board certified. I am still applying and I think it should be fine but I wanted to know if anyone had information about getting a license in another state and using that to apply for licensure in Texas? So specifically, is it possible to apply and obtain a full unrestricted license in another state with less stringent requirements for IMG's and then use that to obtain a Texas license in order to bypass at the red tape?
no.

texas is very picky about the rotations that an IMG can do in the US during medical school...all and I mean ALL rotations have to be done at places where there is an ACGME residency/fellowship...meaning if you do a cards rotation where there is no cards fellowship, it doesn't count...they require a FM rotation and do not recognize an FM umbrella.

the loophole texas has is that if you are BC in your specialty then the rotation thing doesn't apply.

however there is no reciprocity when it comes to medical licenses across state boards.

Reactions: 1 user
no.

texas is very picky about the rotations that an IMG can do in the US during medical school...all and I mean ALL rotations have to be done at places where there is an ACGME residency/fellowship...meaning if you do a cards rotation where there is no cards fellowship, it doesn't count...they require a FM rotation and do not recognize an FM umbrella.

the loophole texas has is that if you are BC in your specialty then the rotation thing doesn't apply.

however there is no reciprocity when it comes to medical licenses across state boards.
The other kicker is that to be board certified you have to have an unrestricted state license as well. I know of others who have received another state license (LA, OK, NM), became board certified, THEN got their Texas license. Of course this is all moot if all the rotations are greenbook, as rokshana mentioned above.

Question about the Texas Medical License. Is a Clerkship in a US Medical School mandatory for IMG's? I'm board certified in internal medicine so shouldn't make a difference but I'm curious. The form they make you fill out makes it sound like you need to provide proof for a US medical school IF you did the clerkship..