Full Rides to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalschooley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which medical schools offer full rides based on merit/being an African American minority and what kind of GPA/MCAT score you have to attain to get them

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering which medical schools offer full rides based on merit/being an African American minority and what kind of GPA/MCAT score you have to attain to get them

Sorry, the ride to medical school is already full!

50073047.JPG

Hmm this thread has the potential to be quite interesting... :corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Stewart University!!

Haha on a serious note, there are medschools that do give full scholarships for those that are extremely high achieving, however there are peripheral programs, that offer scholarships as well, ( especially for being AA) out side of the actual medical school. Thus attending anymedical school could give the same chances of receiving this kind of aid.

Get what im saying?

full rides at MAYO, Washu, Michigan, and UChicago if you have SICK numbers...i'm assuming 3.9/39+ combo?

UMichigan is pretty big on full rides, for people with crazy high numbers as someone posted earlier - it's usually to lure people away from Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, etc. - I would say GPA has to be at least 3.8 and MCAT at least 36

Hm, I think you guys are putting a little too much weight on the hard stats. I had a 39R/3.9 and I didn't get a single cent from any school I was accepted at (UCSD and Dartmouth). AND I'd say that these schools are both institutions that have trouble drawing kids away from the UCSFs and Harvards.

In my opinion you need really solid unique ECs that demonstrate huge potential to contribute to the field of medicine IN ADDITION to somewhat competitive hard stats.

Actually.. scratch that. I had pretty ****ing amazing ECs (provisional patent on a medical device, 3 second-author publications, tons of volunteering and shadowing), but still didn't recieve a cent.

I guess it just comes down to your race. I am asian and way over-repped in medicine so no school really wants me.

Bottomline: "merit" doesn't really mean merit to medical schools and it really is all about race.

MSTP: Full Ride + 25 K stiped. Can't get better than that.

-

Last edited:
They can give it to whoever the **** they want, not just the sick stats people. Sometimes its a person who has demonstrated the qualities they are looking for and really really want them. Often times though they are given to the 3.9 GPA and 37+ MCAT people of the world but not always. Race can play a role and others also. A great example that comes to mind is a member her named nanon. She has a very low GPA and an average at best MCAT but she got a large scholarship to her MD school. Why would they do that with such low stats? Becuase they obviously want her there. Also need based aid can play a large role. If you are super poor and can prove it, some schools have large amounts of need based aid to dole out. which id assume may play a role in the person im talking about as she has 2 kids.

You're losing 4 years of salary for 1-2 years worth of salary;)

Never go into an MSTP program for the money...

Uh, I disagree. I'll be graduating with 250k of debt and an MSTP will be graduating with 0 debt. Including interest, you're telling me that 2 years of salary will make that up?

Most schools have atleast a couple of full rides or full tuition scholarships....they are hard to come by...im just happy with my 4k/yr lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I think you guys are putting a little too much weight on the hard stats. I had a 39R/3.9 and I didn't get a single cent from any school I was accepted at (UCSD and Dartmouth). AND I'd say that these schools are both institutions that have trouble drawing kids away from the UCSFs and Harvards.

In my opinion you need really solid unique ECs that demonstrate huge potential to contribute to the field of medicine IN ADDITION to somewhat competitive hard stats.

Actually.. scratch that. I had pretty ****ing amazing ECs (provisional patent on a medical device, 3 second-author publications, tons of volunteering and shadowing), but still didn't recieve a cent.

I guess it just comes down to your race. I am asian and way over-repped in medicine so no school really wants me.

Bottomline: "merit" doesn't really mean merit to medical schools and it really is all about race.

So when do you think Harvard and UCSF will start admitting asians again?

hahaha...I really hate ppl that bitch over this.....Just beat out the other asians, and theres no way they cant accept you.

probably never too many of us overachieving bastards;). Serious though i dont think he was saying that the top schools dont want him becuase hes azn. He was just noting the obvious point that schools want diversity and wont fill up the class with too many of anything. So sometimes that can work against us.

Uh, I disagree. I'll be graduating with 250k of debt and an MSTP will be graduating with 0 debt. Including interest, you're telling me that 2 years of salary will make that up?

That and we get 3 extra letters after our name; :D

----
My comment was obviously not a serious comment. Since we were all talking money, I just wanted to put it out there. I will say 250 K debt is still worth it. The 3 yrs of Ph.D will be hell if you donot like basic research and a complete waste of valueable resources if you donot continue research in ur career

That and we get 3 extra letters after our name; :D

----
My comment was obviously not a serious comment. Since we were all talking money, I just wanted to put it out there. I will say 250 K debt is still worth it. The 3 yrs of Ph.D will be hell if you donot like basic research and a complete waste of valueable resources if you donot continue research in ur career
yeah...and good luck finishing in 3 years too.

probably never too many of us overachieving bastards;). Serious though i dont think he was saying that the top schools dont want him becuase hes azn. He was just noting the obvious point that schools want diversity and wont fill up the class with too many of anything. So sometimes that can work against us.

At least somebody got the point of my post. Funny that you're asian too. I guess nobody will understand anybody elses' plight until they walk a mile in their shoes.

At least somebody got the point of my post. Funny that you're asian too. I guess nobody will understand anybody elses' plight until they walk a mile in their shoes.

*sigh*

nevermind.

Wow way to miss the point.

Whether you like it or not, race is the by far the BIGGEST factor when it comes to medical school admissions, and sadly just about everything else in this world.

The point is, they didn't need to draw you away from UCSF or Harvard so they felt no need to throw $ at you to acheive that goal.

Whether you like it or not, race is the by far the BIGGEST factor when it comes to medical school admissions, and sadly just about everything else in this world.

uh huh, maybe in your mind it is...

That is a huge statement to be making w/o any supporting argument or proof. Yes it is important, but not as huge as you make it seem.
Yes, they are trying to increase diversity; but by admitting you into your school, they are also assuming that you will successfully complete the training; pass the standardized exams etc and actually practice medicine some day. You will be able to treat human lives; now, that is privilege that they really donot want to give you just becuase your are AA.

That is a huge statement to be making w/o any supporting argument or proof. Yes it is important, but not as huge as you make it seem.
Yes, they are trying to increase diversity; but by admitting you into your school, they are also assuming that you will successfully complete the training; pass the standardized exams etc and actually practice medicine some day. You will be able to treat human lives; now, that is privilege that they really donot want to give you just becuase your are AA.

resist the bait...

:laugh:

Ah yes, let's look at some of the schools that actually TRY to increase diversity.

HMS: class size = 165
Black = 16
Hispanic = 14
Asian = 57

Wash U: class size = 122
Black = 8
Hispanic = 7
Asian = 31

Hopkins: class size = 118
Black = 7
Hispanic = 5
Asian = 31

Yale: class size = 100
Black = 10
Hispanic = 8
Asian = 29

God, you're totally right! When ARE they going to start accepting Asians?!?!

Reactions: 1 users
Ah yes, let's look at some of the schools that actually TRY to increase diversity.

Black = 16
Hispanic = 14
Asian = 57

Black = 8
Hispanic = 7
Asian = 31

Black = 7
Hispanic = 5
Asian = 31

Black = 10
Hispanic = 8
Asian = 29

:bow: next, please?

Black = 16
Hispanic = 14
Asian = 57

Black = 8
Hispanic = 7
Asian = 31

Black = 7
Hispanic = 5
Asian = 31

Black = 10
Hispanic = 8
Asian = 29

That's not how you consider statistics. Of course they're going to admit more asians when way more asians applied. Come back with how many asians were accepted relative to how many applied and then do the same for blacks and hispanics and then you can make your case. If only 20 hispanics applied and 19 were accepted, that's hardly a case.

:bow: next, please?

well those dont speak the entire story as someone said above. If you think race plays no role then go look at the AMCAS stats of those accepted who are minorities and compare them. Furthermore you are just kidding yourself if you think an azn with a 3.4 gpa and 28 mcat is going to have just as easy a time as a black applicant with the same stats. The azn applicant will have to give his soul to probably end up at NYMC or some other low end school. Or worse they may end up like kokoeats here and not even get in. While the black one would easily get accepted somewhere and still could even get into places like mt sinai. But this topic is too touchy and theres no real middle ground...just thought id debate a little....hopefully no one flips out like they always do...

also im not saying diversity or giving URMs a free pass with low stats is bad, after all if someone lets me in med school they are obviously looking past my sad mcat score. I also think its a joke to say that those who dont dominate the mcat or have a 4.0 arent good docs as that doesnt matter in the end. Just saying that race does play a large role...and probably the biggest role outside of GPA and MCAT for some.

That's not how you consider statistics. Of course they're going to admit more asians when way more asians applied. Come back with how many asians were accepted relative to how many applied and then do the same for blacks and hispanics and then you can make your case. If only 20 hispanics applied and 19 were accepted, that's hardly a case.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

pour over the tables. You'll find that far, far fewer than 95% of hispanics (or other URMs) are getting admitted.

well those dont speak the entire story as someone said above. If you think race plays no role then go look at the AMCAS stats of those accepted who are minorities and compare them. Furthermore you are just kidding yourself if you think an azn with a 3.4 gpa and 28 mcat is going to have just as easy a time as a black applicant with the same stats. The azn applicant will have to give his soul to probably end up at NYMC or some other low end school. Or worse they may end up like kokoeats here and not even get in. While the black one would easily get accepted somewhere and still could even get into places like mt sinai. But this topic is too touchy and theres no real middle ground...just thought id debate a little....hopefully no one flips out like they always do...

also im not saying diversity or giving URMs a free pass with low stats is bad, after all if someone lets me in med school they are obviously looking past my sad mcat score. I also think its a joke to say that those who dont dominate the mcat or have a 4.0 arent good docs as that doesnt matter in the end. Just saying that race does play a large role...and probably the biggest role outside of GPA and MCAT for some.

lol ok so race is one of the biggest issues... outside of GPA & MCAT... so you are saying race is a bigger issue than ECs or the interview? because I don't see what's left outside of your GPA & MCAT? Isn't that what everyone swears by on this site?

Ok then, no prob.

I can't find a place with a breakdown of school vs. applicant races vs. matriculant races, so I did what I could.

According to AMCAS, of the applicants in 2008, 9101 were "Asian", 3342 were Hispanic, and 3086 were AA. Meaning, 6428 URM (notice I'm not counting Asian URMs, and those definitely exist).

From MSAR, 3950 matriculants were Asian, and 2707 matriculants were the URMs I'm considering here (Hispanic and AA).

Percentage-wise, 42% of URMs and 43.5% of Asians were accepted, if we assume this data is true.

Incidentally, I couldn't separate out HBCU's and Puerto Rican schools, which HEAVILY skew the numbers by adding more URM matriculants because AMCAS counts them in its applicant data.

So yeah. It seems you can't whine about either Asians being underrepresented at top schools, or about Asians being underaccepted in general. What else?

lol ok so race is one of the biggest issues... outside of GPA & MCAT... so you are saying race is a bigger issue than ECs or the interview? because I don't see what's left outside of your GPA & MCAT? Isn't that what everyone swears by on this site?

im saying race can play a large role and overcome a poor gpa and mcat and many other factors. I always see you defending this heavily though like its a bad thing...Its a well know fact that this happens. Do you honestly think an azn applicant with a 26 mcat has any chance in the world? hell no, but does a URM yes he does.

im saying race can play a large role and overcome a poor gpa and mcat and many other factors. I always see you defending this heavily though like its a bad thing...Its a well know fact that this happens. Do you honestly think an azn applicant with a 26 mcat has any chance in the world? hell no, but does a URM yes he does.

I don't 100% disagree with you... I disagree with the bolded in your previous post and this silly attitude on this website that med schools are knocking down URMs doors letting anyone with prereqs in & taking the seats of other "qualified" applicants... it just isn't true. I know plenty of URM applicants that have not been accepted... and I don't know about anyone else but I know I worked damn hard to get where I am now so I didn't get a "free pass" because I happen to be Hispanic :D

I don't 100% disagree with you... I disagree with the bolded in your previous post and this silly attitude on this website that med schools are knocking down URMs doors letting anyone with prereqs in & taking the seats of other "qualified" applicants... it just isn't true. I know plenty of URM applicants that have not been accepted... and I don't know about anyone else but I know I worked damn hard to get where I am now so I didn't get a "free pass" because I happen to be Hispanic :D

I know what you mean now. I wasnt trying to bash URMs in any way hopefully it didnt sound like I was. You also had very good stats anyways so probably didnt matter :D. Anyways good luck!

I hate all races equally.
I hate my own the most. Well... second-most.

But seriously, what's this about UCSF? Of the three people I know at UCSF, all of them are Asian. And have y'all seen the party photos? I don't think being Asian is a massive barrier.

Carolina is paying my tuition and I'm an URM. I'm also in-state. I have no idea if being an URM influenced me getting the scholarship, it is just called merit scholarship and nothing about it says it was intended for URMs. At the moment I don't know of anyone esle who recieved it, but I probably wasn't the only person. I had a 3.96 GPA when I applied and LOTS of community service, not really medically related though. I also interned at a cocaine clinic, which was always interesting to talk about during interviews. My whole resume was pretty well-rounded bc I just can't bring myself to be one of those obsessed premeds. Maybe that's a bad thing because my MCAT didn't even break 30 (don't ask).

uhh, I think ANY school will give you money if you're black and have anywhere near marginal scores. Not to beat a dead horse or start a flame war, being an URM equals not only $$$ but also a free admission ticket to disney land.

and by disney land I mean med school.

I hate my own the most. Well... second-most.

But seriously, what's this about UCSF? Of the three people I know at UCSF, all of them are Asian. And have y'all seen the party photos? I don't think being Asian is a massive barrier.
Yeah people who b*tch about affirmative action at UCSF are just not paying attention.

I thought you only had a max of 6 to finish a pHD?? regardless..a long as stime.
Sorry, nine years total. And you're done with your PhD when your PI/committee says so. :p But yeah, if students take 9+ years to graduate the federal government starts to get all menacing.