Full-Time Work and an MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bouddha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it practical to work full-time and do an MPH, for example, work during the day and take evening classes/online classes. Just trying to figure out how to accomplish goals and provide for my family at the same time.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of programs taking on part-time students. Online MPH programs are also an option, though I dont know as much about them. Brown is one school with a really supportive part-time program. Many schools offer this as there are lots of medical professionals looking to complete their MPH while working. Just look around at large programs, and you should find a few you like!

There are a lot of programs taking on part-time students. Online MPH programs are also an option, though I dont know as much about them. Brown is one school with a really supportive part-time program. Many schools offer this as there are lots of medical professionals looking to complete their MPH while working. Just look around at large programs, and you should find a few you like!

Thanks a bunch. I checked my state school, and over half their students are part time, so that is encouraging.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are working in a non public health related position you can go part time but at some point you will likely be asked to complete a practicum. During the semester of the practicum going part time will likely be impossible in most programs. The rest of the time it should be very possible.

As a health care professional who is currently attending full time to get an MPH, if at all possible go part time and keep your job.

I moved and quit my job to start my current program. I'm doing well in the program and all that, but I have had a quite a hard time getting hired (even part time). I'm sure it's the recession and the local job market (dismal), but it was quite a shocker for me. I ended up taking out way more in loans this semester just to get by, and I barely have anything left for this month (in fact I'm borrowing from family). I was recently hired for a part time job here that will allow me to continue full time with my program, however this was after months of job hunting (I started before I quit my last full time job) and months of unemployment. Fortunately I have no kids. Unfortunately I have no spouse (because I could have used some financial help!).

I also cannot emphasize finding the right program enough. I'm fine with the program I'm in (because I'm in it now, and I intend to finish), but in retrospect, I would have chosen the more prestigious universtiy in an area with the better job prospects and higher cost of living. Also, my program is not really focused on the health care professional coming back to school....they're more focused on people straight out of undergrad who are gunning for med school, dental school, etc. So there's very little support for people like me.:thumbdown: Oh, and I would have applied much earlier and to more schools to increase my chances of getting better financial aid.

As for practicum/internships, most schools will try to work with you and so will those sponsoring the internship. Even if they don't, maybe you can get a leave of absence for that one sem/term and take out loans. I thought it would be sooo easy for me to get a job, and unfortunately I was wrong. :( Now I look at the part timers who have lives, aren't all obssessed on getting straight As for med school, and don't have the personal bank of mommy and daddy to rely on, and I envy them. I miss the social connection with other professionals.

Good luck!:luck:

Last edited:
i just graduated last week, and I can honestly tell you working full time in a healthcare position and getting an MPH is the best way to go, It is alot more fufilling and you get alot more out of work and the program you most likely will be ahead of your peers as well. I was working full time in healthcare administration and my MPH was in mgmt. Everything I learned in class, I applied to my job and vice versa. The practicum is the hardest part, my school requires 2 semesters and 6 credits. I had to find a place that i could work on weekends and evenings to fulfill my practicum because my program doesn't let you use your job, Now that part was tough, but im glad it was that way because my practicum was essentially a phenomenal resume builder and i learned alot from it.

Yes, there is no problem. I work full time, i have 3 kids and i am a full time student at the MPH program. You are just going to be very very busy :) good luck