Fully matched for 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So that is before the scramble right?

Yep, I just saw that. Crazy, man. It really is getting more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this year there were some unbelievable candidates; I think it is getting more competitive, but it's just a part of the story. I'm guessing applicants are also ranking more programs, and applicants in PM&R tend to choose programs based off more than rankings compared to other specialties (from what I've seen).

I'd like to point out from this data that there were 5 major specialties that filled all their spots:
1. Plastic Surgery
2. Thoracic Surgery
3. ENT
4. Neurosurgery
5. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, this makes me feel so happy and proud of our field :bow: and very grateful that I have been "booked" into this field for the next 4 years :soexcited:!!! Congratulations to everyone who matched :clap:!!! I am excited to meet all my future colleagues and mentors in the upcoming years! GO PM&R!!! :highfive:

Sign of the changes in healthcare.

Lifestyle is becoming increasingly important.

Versatility of a specialty and ability to "do what you want, when you want" is also key.

Reactions: 1 user
Sign of the changes in healthcare.

Lifestyle is becoming increasingly important.

Versatility of a specialty and ability to "do what you want, when you want" is also key.

Is PMR one of those 'do you what you want when you want' specialties?. don't you still need pts to be referred to you even if you have your own practice? [i'm not sure how it works, but need referrals just seem like a big drawback to patient base]

Is PMR one of those 'do you what you want when you want' specialties?. don't you still need pts to be referred to you even if you have your own practice? [i'm not sure how it works, but need referrals just seem like a big drawback to patient base]
I'm not sure your question is clear " 'do you what you want when you want specialties'"... umm? Rotate with a general PM&R physician before you make any conclusion about the field. There are so many options for PM&R and with the baby boomer population there will be more opportunities in the future. I've worked with doctors who take new patients and specifically treat young athletes to geriatrics (falls) needing more specialized care (gait, biomechanics, etc) that few other fields can treat. I've also seen physicians who base their practice more off "inpatient consults" and then follow the patient in an outpatient setting (TBI, CVAs, Multi-trauma, and SCI injuries). A lot of the reimbursements vary based on the insurance the patient has but the scope of PM&R is huge ranging from pediatrics to geriatrics. With patients living longer, through medical advances, PM&R is able to help people return home and function...whether they have MS, Parkinson’s, Cancer, Cardiac Rehab, Pulmonary Rehab, Wounded Veterans, Low Back Pain, Diabetic wounds, etc. Needless to say we are not worried about our "patient base."

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure your question is clear " 'do you what you want when you want specialties'"... umm? Rotate with a general PM&R physician before you make any conclusion about the field. There are so many options for PM&R and with the baby boomer population there will be more opportunities in the future. I've worked with doctors who take new patients and specifically treat young athletes to geriatrics (falls) needing more specialized care (gait, biomechanics, etc) that few other fields can treat. I've also seen physicians who base their practice more off "inpatient consults" and then follow the patient in an outpatient setting (TBI, CVAs, Multi-trauma, and SCI injuries). A lot of the reimbursements vary based on the insurance the patient has but the scope of PM&R is huge ranging from pediatrics to geriatrics. With patients living longer, through medical advances, PM&R is able to help people return home and function...whether they have MS, Parkinson’s, Cancer, Cardiac Rehab, Pulmonary Rehab, Wounded Veterans, Low Back Pain, Diabetic wounds, etc. Needless to say we are not worried about our "patient base."
Is it possible to work exclusively with wounded warriors?

Is it possible to work exclusively with wounded warriors?

you can join the military and work at a army/naval base.

the DOD is funding a lot of research now on TBI, amputation, etc

you can join the military and work at a army/naval base.

the DOD is funding a lot of research now on TBI, amputation, etc
I've already been in. I didn't have much exposure to PMR, and it's my understanding there's only one mil residency. I didn't have a Physiatrist for my rehabilitative care.

Currently there's no other incentive than working with Veterans than working with combat related trauma/PTSD PTs stateside for me to join the military. But will the VA be adequate for this?

I'm guessing that TBI/Amputation research is being done at a lot of academic institutions that the DOD/VA is paying for correct? Sorry for these basic questions.

I've already been in. I didn't have much exposure to PMR, and it's my understanding there's only one mil residency. I didn't have a Physiatrist for my rehabilitative care.

Currently there's no other incentive than working with Veterans than working with combat related trauma/PTSD PTs stateside for me to join the military. But will the VA be adequate for this?

I'm guessing that TBI/Amputation research is being done at a lot of academic institutions that the DOD/VA is paying for correct? Sorry for these basic questions.

I believe you're correct--Walter Reed is the only military PM&R residency. I think it has three positions. I believe it's quite competitive, but I don't know if it's considered a strong/average/weak program.

However, Stanford, U Minnesota, VCU, and the programs in Tampa (South Florida?) and I believe San Antonio all have VAs with polytrauma units, where you'll treat active-duty soldiers through an agreement with the DOD. The polytrauma units were the main thing that appealed to me about Stanford, Minnesota, and VCU (I didn't apply or interview in Tampa, and I would've applied to San Antonio had I known they had a program). These VA's also all offer the highest level of care with regards to amputee services, so if your interest is working with active duty soldiers, they're the places to go. With ORF/OEF wound down/mostly wound down, these units are going to be seeing and doing rehab of a lot more stateside injuries vs overseas injuries.

I believe you're correct--Walter Reed is the only military PM&R residency. I think it has three positions. I believe it's quite competitive, but I don't know if it's considered a strong/average/weak program.

However, Stanford, U Minnesota, VCU, and the programs in Tampa (South Florida?) and I believe San Antonio all have VAs with polytrauma units, where you'll treat active-duty soldiers through an agreement with the DOD. The polytrauma units were the main thing that appealed to me about Stanford, Minnesota, and VCU (I didn't apply or interview in Tampa, and I would've applied to San Antonio had I known they had a program). These VA's also all offer the highest level of care with regards to amputee services, so if your interest is working with active duty soldiers, they're the places to go. With ORF/OEF wound down/mostly wound down, these units are going to be seeing and doing rehab of a lot more stateside injuries vs overseas injuries.
Thank you. I wouldn't mind if they were stateside injuries I suppose. But wouldn't there still be some carryover from OEF/ORF in say 2018? (I'm starting school in July).