Fun and Medicine at same time?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauravvv

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can the two coexist?
I understand that a career in medicine requires lots of studying and focus. it is also necessary to give up alot of things which can be taken for granted?
my question is, even with the tough curriculum and cram sessions, do any students find time to just "chill"?
especially students in combined undergrad/grad programs, like NYIT's BS/DO program, which i start in the fall?

oh yah, about all this Indian stuff on the site, for all the desis out there, doesnt this sorta sound like the plot from American Desi?...hahah...Ajay is the man..haha...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Gaurav Masala:
•Can the two coexist?•

Someone else posted that they took pilot lessons during MS2 year, but had to drop out of the lessons to focus more on class. I think we'll have time for some fun, but will also have to manage time very wisely to do both. :)

I sure hope so! We are going to have to work hard in med school, so hopefully there will be some time to play hard too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes... They can both coexist.... At least I hope they do :D

I heard the opposite.... I heard medical school is a lot better than undergraduate... Just a thought :cool:

Ofcourse. The only people who do not have fun while in medical school, are the people who wouldn't be having fun outside of medical school. Your life, career and education are what you make of it. Make time to enjoy yourself, or else, you won't enjoy your career.
Russ

NYCOM's block testing schedule does provide you with enough time for fun. We have exams every 4 to 5 weeks. So, after the week of exams I don't really study for an entire week....most of my classmates also take that week after the exam week easy. We catch up on sleep, go out , party, watch movies, baseball, basketball etc. The second week after the exams is when I start studying and the studying goes on for three-4 weeks upto the exam week. Then we go through a week filled with exams everyday ( last week we had nine exams !!). Don't get scared...this really works out well because you have the remaining 4 weeks to plan out your schedule. However, don't expect to find a relationship with somebody in your class because most of the students want to stay strictly in the friendship zone. I had hoped to find my significant other at med school but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. But most of the people in class are really very nice and friendly. Just enjoy your time. There is always time to have fun. Don't worry. And always remember that Life is what you make out of it.