fun game to try your hand at being a doc!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cimorene

Lurker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i came across this free flash game based on medicine that's actually really fun. usually i find games based on medical simulation kind of lame, but this one is really addictive.

http://www.bacteriatd.com/
bacteria tower defense

it's based on the tower-defense games, where you build towers and shoot down enemies, but this game uses bacteria as enemies and antibiotics as towers! anyway, coming from an intern, just wanted to share with you guys a tool that can help with your pharmacology classes in med school and even for residency. because dealing with infections and choosing antibiotics is going to be something most of you will be dealing with.

if only the rest of studying for medicine could be as fun as this... :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. If I enjoyed playing video games, I'd probably get a kick out that one. I'm sure lots of others will enjoy it, though. Thanks for posting. (That was sincere & not sarcastic.)

I just learned that getting hit with a francisella tularensis is bad if you've already had to deal with chlamydia and staphylococcus aureus.

I also learned that Moxifloxacin is amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just learned that imma be a terrible doctor...I lost on normal in the third round:(

Ah, that is addicting!

I got 4424 points before being overrun.

Haha! This game is awesome! Yet another reason to avoid studying...;)

That patient really needs to learn to take better care of himself. Tularemia + gonorrhea not fun

i got 7705 on normal! can you guys beat that?

lol, some of the "chief complaints" are hilarious.

Interesting. I think I might eventually give it a shot.

I just learned that getting hit with a francisella tularensis is bad if you've already had to deal with chlamydia and staphylococcus aureus.

I also learned that Moxifloxacin is amazing.
Moxifloxacin works good in the beginning! once the rabit bite level comes (F. tularensis) you have to have some doxycycline 'cos the moxifloxacin won't hurt it.

10,096 I don't know whether I should be happy or sad that I just spent the last hour playing this game when I should be studying. Does it not let you continue past 10,000? I didn't die, but it stopped the game...and I had a great setup with $1000 left :(

10,096 I don't know whether I should be happy or sad that I just spent the last hour playing this game when I should be studying. Does it not let you continue past 10,000? I didn't die, but it stopped the game...and I had a great setup with $1000 left :(
I'm not sure.. I'm on wave 46 at the moment, don't know what'll happen at 50. There's only 50 waves to my understanding, you could have just beat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You beat me by 5 points.. I got 10091 :p. And yeah, there are only 50 levels - after that, game is over.

haha! well that sucks...it wasn't that hard to beat. how is the highest score 12,000? What did that person do?
I have no idea! Maybe didn't lose any lives, or had a crap-ton of money when he/she ended the game?

How come some bacteria won't freaking die to moxifloxacin??? It has full bars on all kinds of bacteria! Do they not use DNA as genetic material or something? I think I am looking at this game as a video game, not a medical lesson haha

.... wow, tower d, sweet....

damn cheap flying units!

I hate whoever posted this link.... wasted my afternoon away

That said....

High score 16,418

Bring it on!

I hate whoever posted this link.... wasted my afternoon away

That said....

High score 16,418

Bring it on!

Wow! How'd you get that high score? Looks like your map is different from other peoples' maps - maybe thats the key? Time for me to go waste more time...:laugh:

Wish this game was out when I was in medschool. Those ID pimping sessions wouldn't have been as painful...

Wow! How'd you get that high score? Looks like your map is different from other peoples' maps - maybe thats the key? Time for me to go waste more time...:laugh:

Wish this game was out when I was in medschool. Those ID pimping sessions wouldn't have been as painful...

go go Warcraft III

anyone able to get past wave 15 on hard?

i cant make it past that point

You beat me by 5 points.. I got 10091 :p. And yeah, there are only 50 levels - after that, game is over.

Just tried the other difficulty levels - looks like Easy mode has 50 levels, Normal has 60, Hard has 70, and Random has 100.

anyone able to get past wave 15 on hard?

i cant make it past that point

Took me a few tries but I got to like level 30 something on hard. I'm going to try and "customize" my pharmacy and give some of the other antibiotics a shot.

So I can barely crack 1,000....what is the secret?

Picking some good antibiotics, building a good maze at the right speed, and juggling the bacteria if/when you need to.

Oh, and practice. It only gets easier.

Ok, so I hit 2,000

What kills me is when those things fly across my walls and don't follow my maze. I loose like 6 points on each of those runs. Any ideas please!

Anybody get close to beating hard yet? I can get to level 63 but I keep getting overrun by the pseudomonas.

Hahaha.. yuuuup. *hangs head in shame*

This game is nothing compared to elemental TD on very hard ;)

if you understand what I'm talking about then I'm ashamed of you too!! :D

AARGH! Died on level 70 on hard mode! So close...

BTW, turns out switching to imipenem makes short work of the pseudomonas.

Booyah! Beat hard mode with a score of 19588! Bring it on!

Looks like there's a new feature in the newest version with antibiotic allergies and neutropenia timers. Makes it much more challenging...grrr... must... get... some... sleep...:sleep:

While this is a fun little game, Grand Theft Auto IV is sooooooo much more entertaining and addictive :hardy:

This game is nothing compared to elemental TD on very hard ;)

if you understand what I'm talking about then I'm ashamed of you too!! :D

haha, god TDs in wc3 were so fun!!

haha this game is so addicting :)

Another quiet night on call with nothing to do...playing some BacteriaTD and found some cool changes!

Now it's got Basic mode and Advanced mode. Seems like Basic mode is the original game. Advanced mode looks like its got some new tricks such as fog of war. It also appears that your towers can get damaged by the bacteria as they pass through!

Much more challenging...hehe, with the towers getting damaged and having to repair them, sort of feels like I'm playing starcraft :cool:

Another quiet night on call with nothing to do...playing some BacteriaTD and found some cool changes!

Now it's got Basic mode and Advanced mode. Seems like Basic mode is the original game. Advanced mode looks like its got some new tricks such as fog of war. It also appears that your towers can get damaged by the bacteria as they pass through!

Much more challenging...hehe, with the towers getting damaged and having to repair them, sort of feels like I'm playing starcraft :cool:

Don't worry, in a few months you WILL BE playing starcraft :D

Bumping this, I guess.

On Basic/Random, I cannot get much past 40 or so.

I ALWAYS get my *** handed to me by c.diff or s.diversus or some such (horrible scientific name formatting, I know). Every time. For the latter, it's weakly sensitive to cephalosporins only - apparently, I'm leaving out the great s.diversus killer.

AHHHH. So frustrating.

Wow really lame of SDN. I had sent the author of this Bacteria Tower Defense game (he's an IM resident, actually!) a little note before telling him I thought his game was really cool and that I posted about it on SDN. We've messaged a few times cuz he's been wanting feedback how to make the game better. He told me that he tried to post on SDN recently as the creator asking for more feedback about his game, and they BANNED him! Can you believe that? An overworked resident takes the time to create something pretty cool to help people learn medicine and SDN goes and BANS him! They said he was soliciting! It's a FREE game, jeez, and he was asking for help, not money. If you can't come to SDN to ask for help in making stuff that improves medical education, then these forums are bunk. My $0.02.

Wow really lame of SDN. I had sent the author of this Bacteria Tower Defense game (he's an IM resident, actually!) a little note before telling him I thought his game was really cool and that I posted about it on SDN. We've messaged a few times cuz he's been wanting feedback how to make the game better. He told me that he tried to post on SDN recently as the creator asking for more feedback about his game, and they BANNED him! Can you believe that? An overworked resident takes the time to create something pretty cool to help people learn medicine and SDN goes and BANS him! They said he was soliciting! It's a FREE game, jeez, and he was asking for help, not money. If you can't come to SDN to ask for help in making stuff that improves medical education, then these forums are bunk. My $0.02.

You should post in that forum for complaints or suggestions or whatever, maybe they'll unban

Hey, does anyone know of other addicting games that are exceptionally educational, medicine or otherwise?

vancomycin will save us all.

Oh i saw the guys post and played the game. I don't know why he got banned though..

Registering with the forums for the specific purpose of promoting a product or website (even if it is free) is against the user terms of service. That is why the account was banned.

People are always welcome to PM site admin (All4MyDaughter) prior to posting their ads if they think the product is worthwhile and useful as a partner site.

As an aside, that site contains numerous pop up ads as well, it is not really "free."