Funding for UK surgical fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen that is contemplating surgical fellowship training at a UK university. Per the fellowship director, it will be quite difficult for the UK fellowship to fund me since I'm an American citizen. As a point of reference, my medical degree is from a US medical school. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get the fellowship funded? Who typically funds the UK surgical fellowships? Any help is appreciated- thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US citizen that is contemplating surgical fellowship training at a UK university. Per the fellowship director, it will be quite difficult for the UK fellowship to fund me since I'm an American citizen. As a point of reference, my medical degree is from a US medical school. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get the fellowship funded? Who typically funds the UK surgical fellowships? Any help is appreciated- thanks.

Fellowships are not common in the UK. In general, being a fellow means something very different in the UK compared to the US.

There are a few fellowships that are the sort of thing you are looking for but there is no central application service. Your best bet would be to contact specific consultants (attendings). You will be helping to fill the rota so the hospital would pay for you in the same way they would for their trainees.