Fundraising Ideas for Pharmacy students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello- Lets share profitable fundraising ideas!! At my pharmacy school, clubbing is always a good fundraising event. We usually make up to 1,000$ for this event. Another good idea was pins with usc pharmacy logo on them. Pharmacy students can wear them with their white coat and show their "usc pride". Lets hear what you guys have to say! Any great ideas!?

Members don't see this ad.

baby-tees.

All of our pharmacy school apparel is man-style t-shirts and hoodies. I bought one and I only use it to go to the gym. Can we get some cute things to wear for school pride? The majority of pharm students are female, so where are our tank tops, bikinis, pajama pants, hair clips, jewelry (I would pay out for a cute pair of Rx vial dangly earrings), lingerie and handbags? Many of us would use a cute pharmacy school tote for our school bag, but the free ones the school gave us are fugly. There is a big market to tap.

BMBiology said:
At my pharmacy school, clubbing is always a good fundraising event. We usually make up to 1,000$ for this event.

You kill baby seals?
:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be great to make a pinata in the likeness of your least favorite professor, and charge each student to beat the hell out of it (I definitely know we'd rake in the cash at my school; everyone wants to get a swing at a certain person). :smuggrin:

well....I agree with the baby tees... but I also think you have to get alittle more creative with the t-shirts.

just having: "so-and-so school of pharmacy" is boring. Do something clever and funny.

things like "I sell drugs" and in the back can be the school logo. (LOL...i was talking to people about the different types of sayings things like "Drugs are my life" "I love drugs")

this can also apply to car decals, driver license boarders, keychains.

Let's see, I know we've had good ones over the years...

FOr Kappa Psi - best seller was a tie-dyed bright color t-shirt with I (heart) drugs on the front. (yeah, our regent at the time was a bit of a hippie at heart, but it went over very well, people loved them).

Personalized hoodies went over very well too, one class sold them 3 years in a row! You can get kids sizes for people who want them smaller.

ICHP just sold a baby tee that went over very well...man I wish I could remember the exact saying, but it was kelly green with yellow writing (similar to the john deere logo).

Other great ideas, for rho chi - selling leather binders that are good for interviews/rotations (the slender ones with a pocket for pda, cards, and a legal pad. ) The zip holders for IDs, really wish I had one of those on roatioan. And as the OP has said, clubbing, what they do in chicago is the place sets a cover charge ($10-20) and you get a portion of that. Very easy wya to make money (esp if you hold it right after the finals are done :) )

Hope these help :)

Some things my school has done:

*sweatshirts, T-shirts, windbreakers
*Business card sale prior to the MCM, so students can leave their contact info with residency programs
*Food: Grilled cheese luncheons, candy sale, ice cream sundaes
*Nalgene water bottles (w/pharm school logo)
*College of Pharmacy window clings for cars
*Dinner fundraiser: Our class had an event at don pablo's and they donated 15% of the proceeds to our class (We made a nice chunk of change)
*Lab coat sale
*Sale of test packets of old exams

(At OSU, we take the moral high ground and refuse to kill seals, even if it is profitable.)

pharmagirl said:
Those pill earrings are funny! I think I might have to get some to wear to class once in a while. LOL
Yikes! I just looked and they are $50. Does anyone know how they are attaching the earring to the pill? I think this would be a neat fundraiser idea if we could make them for cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
apparently scrubs sell really well with like the pharmacy logo or something on them

bbmuffin said:
apparently scrubs sell really well with like the pharmacy logo or something on them

That is a very good idea. We had that idea a while ago but because usc really protects its logo, it is very difficult to get it approved.

BMBiology said:
That is a very good idea. We had that idea a while ago but because usc really protects its logo, it is very difficult to get it approved.
what about a mortar and pestle and the name of the school?

i don't think we ever actually use our official logo b/c its stupid looking

bbmuffin said:
what about a mortar and pestle and the name of the school?

i don't think we ever actually use our official logo b/c its stupid looking

We don't use the official UF Gator, either. It's not worth the hassle of trying to get approval.

dgroulx said:
We don't use the official UF Gator, either. It's not worth the hassle of trying to get approval.
oh i bet you're right!

and considering the fact that i have a set of orange scrubs with a T on them..... (did undergrad at ut)
i bet UF already has "officially licensed" scrubs

oh another thing we do are "parkas"
they are light weight material that you pull over with a hood.... water proof too.. some of them have a pocket in the front (just so everyone knows what i'm talking about) we embroider a mortar and pestle along with the school name on them

we also did cookbooks this year

and we have tried to do mortar and pestles with the school name on them
we did golf umbrellas with the school name and mortar and pestle (i love mine)
sweatshirts with school name and grad year on them (emboridered on left pocket area)

every year we have a school wide picnic and i have some fantastic ideas that no one will take the time to do (and i'm already stretched too thin)...

for example...
dunking booth (professors getting wet)
pie throwing at professors....

one thing that we did in undergrad that i think would be a great idea....
a penny drop...
put willing professors pictures on jars in each classroom.... change is positive bills are negative...
who ever has the most money (positive value) is the one that gets a pie thrown or in the dunking booth etc. you can alter that with regards to silver change and such

the professors would probably get involved too and try to buy their way out of it while others fill up their jars.

if you had an organization that was really on top of this you could do a "change out" and provide quarters for people who want to get involved but don't go to the bank... I.e. give you $10 get a roll of quarters.

and at the end you have the money that people donated to see a particular prof having pies thrown at and the money that people would have to pay to throw a pie. and you could just get the pie tins and fill them up with rediwhip and it wouldn't cost that much.

on the safety side.... make sure they have to stand so far back so no one gets hurt.

Next week I'm heading a silent auction for a Relay For Life fundraiser (with suggested donation prices, of course :)). I've sent emails out to the faculty asking for anything they're willing to donate, and we've had team members get donations from companies in the community. We've gotten donations from restaurant gift certificates to candles to cases of synthetic motor oil. I'm going to make packages of auction items this weekend. Hopefully it'll go over well. :)

Another thing we did for Relay is have paper suns from the American Cancer Society, where people donate a dollar and write their names on the suns. Then we've created a huge bulletin in a frequently visited lobby of the school and decorated it with the suns, so people can see who's donated.

So far my team (consisting of pharmacy students) is the highest fundraising team in the whole university. :)

Caverject said:
I think very few will understand your comment, but it is hilarious if you get it! :laugh:

Hey I watch Animal Planet!
Do not undersetimate the Nerdiness around here.

now we are doing a fundraiser that involves the profs again...

whichever prof's cup has the most money from the class has to sing karoke (the class chooses from a list of preselected songs)

we are also charging for snacks and such at this event.

should be entertaining to say the least

We had a faculty auction and raised over $3500. Some of things offered was dinner at a prof's house and "entertainment" and a day at the races with another professor. Also, we got local companies to donate things. Since we are the only pharmacy school in the state, people just throw free things at us.

The best fundraisers are the kind where you can get people from outside your organization to contribute. It isn't much good just to circulate pharmacy money around from one pocket to another.

That being said: at the holidays, run a gift-wrapping service. During warmer weather, do car washes (a bit overdone, but they can be great). Get local restaurants and merchants to do Casholas (where a certain amount of the night's profits go to your organization).

Auctioning students is pretty lucrative, but you have to be specific about what they can/can't, will/won't do. Yyou can make up a flyer describing the sort of things people might want, or list some of the skills your 'ired help' has to offer. Heck, I once 'bought' a college student to help out at a kid's birthday party, I hired a high school brass section to turn up my garden, I hired two college-age girls to do hair and make-up for prom....... these are things I'd gladly pay for, and essentially the hired help is donating their time, effort and skills. Keep in mind that this does take a bit of forward planning, and lots of publicity. It's a riot when you have someone who's really skilled-- I got majorly outbid for the Korean kid who was going to cater a lunch (mmmm, kalbi), and the auction itself was fun to watch.

The idea is to get OTHER people to put money into your pockets. ;-)