"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not even talking about the EtOH aspect. I have friends who likened their pledging experience to basic training in the military (these are people who completed both pledging and served in the military). Again, pledging can be very physically demanding and represent a true, though voluntary, hardship. It is also very stupid to use this in your medical school app, and the only greek related things I wrote about were my positions on Greek Council (community service chair) as the rest was completely irrelevant to showing was deserving of a seat.

Did you just call Alcohol “EtOH” in a conversation? Ok wow tacky. We aren’t in ochem lab dude

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just call Alcohol “EtOH” in a conversation? Ok wow tacky. We aren’t in ochem lab dude

EtOH is a very commonly used term in a medical setting and many people get in the habit of using it as a primary word for alcohol. When you're in the ER reporting a patient to the attending you're not going to say the guy is plastered af in front of the pt's family

Reactions: 11 users

I use “ETOH” more often in writing than “alcohol.” It’s quite common among medical professionals.
And you are showing ignorance.

Reactions: 8 users
You’re right that was pretty rude I apologize.
I still think it’s a bit pretentious to say EtOH in a regular conversation. I don’t know why premeds do that, just talk normal when you’re not in a hospital.

The person you responded to is a resident physician, not a pre-med. Pretty common parlance among people who work in healthcare as we use the abbreviation more frequently than the word, particularly in writing.

Ohh that makes sense. This forum is titled “premed quoted” so i assumed most people posting here are premeds. SDN mobile doesn’t show occupation.

Reactions: 1 users
Ohh that makes sense. This forum is titled “premed quoted” so i assumed most people posting here are premeds. SDN mobile doesn’t show occupation.

Some of us premeds have years of paid clinical employment. Don’t be so judgmental.

Reactions: 2 users
100% just happened to me right now while talking to my mom on the phone.

Me: Mom, I just dropped $315 on MCAT registration...
Mom: You should have looked for a registration fee deal, like a buy-1-get-1 free coupon!

Unfortunately, my mom was dead serious.

Reactions: 21 users

Mom: You should have looked for a registration fee deal, like a buy-1-get-1 free coupon!

Moms are always looking for deals so I'd let the first part about finding a deal slip but the buy one get one free part had me dead.

Reactions: 3 users
Some of us premeds have years of paid clinical employment. Don’t be so judgmental.

I wouldn’t say “judgmental”, I’ve just had enough of the annoying/pretentious premeds I’ve encountered in my 4 years of undergrad. I’m sure med school will have its fair share of pretentious people as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a new one for the "less informed premeds" thread:

In all seriousness though, it's been addressed but I'm a psych resident, which means I type "EtOH" about 20-30 times a day at a minimum. It's one of those abbreviations that's just commonly used by almost all physicians, like 2/2, h/o, c/o, etc.

As an aside, there's also reason we do this beyond just laziness and abbreviations. If you put "alcohol" in the chart when a patient comes in intoxicated it's not completely accurate. While pretty everyone will assume you're referring to ethanol if you say 'alcohol', it doesn't explicitly specify that and does not exclude ingestion of methanol or ethylene glycol. It's relevant because the treatment for ethanol ingestion is very different from methanol which is different from ethylene glycol, the latter two typically being far more emergent situations. So "EtOH" in charting is useful because it's both more concise and accurate than just saying "alcohol".

Reactions: 9 users

Even if this existed, wouldn't take it because there's no chance I'm taking it twice.

One of my friends is applying next cycle with me, I'm a junior while he's a senior planning to take a gap year. I had to show him the portal for the committee letter, remind him about the committee letter, and remind him about our premed advising. The portal also shows you your BCPM and AO GPAs, so you don't have to calculate it yourself. His BCPM is <3.0, and he's missed over half our physics lectures since he found that out. He's a nice guy, but I'm thinking this is classic self-sabotage.
Update one of the classes he has to take next semester is being taught by an unpopular teacher. He wants to email the teacher and ask the teacher to not suck? I think? I'm a little unclear on his plan but it involves emailing a teacher he won't have til spring about his ratemyprofessor reviews.

Update one of the classes he has to take next semester is being taught by an unpopular teacher. He wants to email the teacher and ask the teacher to not suck? I think? I'm a little unclear on his plan but it involves emailing a teacher he won't have til spring about his ratemyprofessor reviews.
Please investigate further and report back. I'm curious as to how this goes for the poor guy

Dear Sir or Madam,

Were you aware that you suck? According to ratemyprofessor.com, 'tis so.

I would greatly appreciate if you could suck less next semester. I would like to expend the least amount of energy possible in your class.

Thank you for your consideration.

Professionally yours,
Student

Reactions: 17 users
Dear Sir or Madam,

I would greatly appreciate if you could suck less next semester. I would like to expend the least amount of energy possible in your class.

Professionally yours,
Student
Oh my god, I'm at work I let out the weirdest laugh just now.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Professionally yours,
Student
Imagine the professor's reply if he has tenure.

Reactions: 5 users
My girlfriends premed advisor scoffed at her 3.69 cGPA and told her she she should look into her backup plan because you need a 3.9 to get into any medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
My girlfriends premed advisor scoffed at her 3.69 cGPA and told her she she should look into her backup plan because you need a 3.9 to get into any medical school.
The smart thing is not to listen to your advisor. The road to medical school is littered with the festering corpses of students who did and found out that the information they'd been given was lousy. The wise LizzyM

I've given up on counting how many data points there are that prove the most pre-med advisors are *****s.

The smart thing is not to listen to your advisor. The road to medical school is littered with the festering corpses of students who did and found out that the information they'd been given was lousy. The wise LizzyM

I've given up on counting how many data points there are that prove the most pre-med advisors are *****s.

It seems like there is an absurd number of advisors who think you need a 3.9+ to get into med school. I've seen that so many times on this thread/site.

It seems like there is an absurd number of advisors who think you need a 3.9+ to get into med school. I've seen that so many times on this thread/site.
I wonder if a lot of these are from schools with committees with strict cut-offs--like, if your school requires a 3.9 for the committee letter, it's kind of true you need a 3.9 from that school to get in, because you usually also need a committee letter.

Anti-Hanlon's Razor--maybe for once it is malice, not stupidity.

I wonder if a lot of these are from schools with committees with strict cut-offs--like, if your school requires a 3.9 for the committee letter, it's kind of true you need a 3.9 from that school to get in, because you usually also need a committee letter.

Anti-Hanlon's Razor--maybe for once it is malice, not stupidity.

That would be a ridiculous minimum for a committee letter. And there have been a couple threads on here about how if you don't meet the cutoff for a committee letter you can still apply without it and explain why you don't have one. I'm sure if your reason is "I have a 3.6 and my school requires a 3.9 for a committee letter" that you'd still get in if everything else is good.

That’s what I always tell her. Stop listening to people who have no experience lol

Where did she get the shoe covers and surgical cap? Also, as a former OR tech, I sincerely hope she wasn’t walking out of an OR and to class like that. Ew.

When I read stories like this that feature pretentious premeds, I scratch my head and wonder why they’re not called out. As you mention, if she truly was coming from a medical activity that req’d shoe covers and surg cap, she’d be spreading infectious germs like Charley Brown’s PigPen. :barf:

#ParentWorksInACleanRoomDaughterSwipedSupplies

A relative’s daughter had good stats, but had two failed app cycles. Learned later that she had been submitting around the final deadlines.

Since that’s ok for undergrad, she assumed it was ok for med schools, too.

Out of morbid curiosity, what undergrad did your relative's daughter attend? The premed advisors there should be ashamed of themselves.

DePauw U.....(not to be confused with DePaul)

As for their premed advisors should be ashamed....lol....they’re just one of many. Never could figure out how people can take a job and do such a crappy job. It’s not that hard.

"You should think about going to the Caribbean medical schools." ~ My "Premed" Adviser. She was dead serious.

Not funny, but.....I think we can all agree that premed advising across the nation is sorely inadequate.

Has anyone here ever later contacted their premed advising office and offered corrections? I would think that they would welcome new, updated, and CORRECT information.

I once sent a polite, but necessary, email to the head of a prehealth advising office because they weren’t mentioning the necessity of “applying early.” They were sending the confusing message of “don’t submit until you know the app is perfect,” which is certainly sound advice, but it unfortunately gave some applicants the idea that they had all the time in the world to “perfect their app,” as long as they met deadlines. I gently suggested that they modify their advice to something like, “Start filling out your application as soon as it opens, spend a few weeks making sure everything is perfect, have a trusted person review it for errors and clarity, then submit in early-to-mid summer. “

When I read stories like this that feature pretentious premeds, I scratch my head and wonder why they’re not called out. As you mention, if she truly was coming from a medical activity that req’d shoe covers and surg cap, she’d be spreading infectious germs like Charley Brown’s PigPen. :barf:

#ParentWorksInACleanRoomDaughterSwipedSupplies
Oh, I definitely would have called her out. That's gross as ****.

Reactions: 4 users
So (based on my advice) he emailed like the receptionist of the department about his concerns, she responded that said professor is the only one teaching this next semester. Friend has decided to take another semester to graduate, and he's putting off the class til next fall. Which is good, because he's also dropping the physics class we share.

"A 3.0 and below GPA is not needed for any medical school. In fact, it shows that you struggled and are ready to take on the next struggle that is medical school!"
I do not think a low gpa should throw anyone off at all, but the way he said this...

DePauw U.....(not to be confused with DePaul)

As for their premed advisors should be ashamed....lol....they’re just one of many. Never could figure out how people can take a job and do such a crappy job. It’s not that hard.
It wasn't the advisor. Know plenty of DePauw med students and pre-meds. They are all told to apply early. It is even on their website. Guess she didn't bother to use her resources. School is only 2000 or so people. I can't believe she didn't talk to other pre-meds.

That’s what I always tell her. Stop listening to people who have no experience lol
“You should apply to SGU in the Caribbean, it’s a great school (poster outside their office)”

“You don’t need a committee letter if you have good individual letters!”

Still salty I found SDN too late. Thank god it was stumbled on in the research of this advice and ended up at a good DO school but still...

Still salty I found SDN too late.

Right there with you. Although, because I didn’t have this resource, I ended up meeting my best friend, and I’m in exactly the kind of residency I wanted living in the place I wanted to be. I kind of stumbled and screwed up into success and happiness, so that’s pretty nice.

Right there with you. Although, because I didn’t have this resource, I ended up meeting my best friend, and I’m in exactly the kind of residency I wanted living in the place I wanted to be. I kind of stumbled and screwed up into success and happiness, so that’s pretty nice.
Haha I actually feel the same way there... It's funny how life turns out & how it ends up putting you exactly where you need to be. This post made my day, thanks doc!

It wasn't the advisor. Know plenty of DePauw med students and pre-meds. They are all told to apply early. It is even on their website. Guess she didn't bother to use her resources. School is only 2000 or so people. I can't believe she didn't talk to other pre-meds.

This was many years ago. Who knows what was on the website then and who knows who the advisers were then.

While we are on the "bad advisor" topic, I had a premed advisor actually laugh at me when I told her I was applying MD-PhD with a 3.87 cGPA because "surely I know thats too low to be taken seriously for MD-PhD". She was a perfect example of people with zero experience (English Lit PhD, maybe 2 years of pre-med advising after being liberal arts faculty for years) acting like an authority. I laughed right back at her. Thankfully I wasn't an impressionable freshman at that point.

While we are on the "bad advisor" topic, I had a premed advisor actually laugh at me when I told her I was applying MD-PhD with a 3.87 cGPA because "surely I know thats too low to be taken seriously for MD-PhD". She was a perfect example of people with zero experience (English Lit PhD, maybe 2 years of pre-med advising after being liberal arts faculty for years) acting like an authority. I laughed right back at her. Thankfully I wasn't an impressionable freshman at that point.

Geez. Where do these people get their information?

My experience wasn’t with a pre-med, but I still think it’s a good story. My roommate in college was a huge Alabama football fan, so one day I asked why. He told me his uncle went to medical school at Alabama, and therefore his whole family were Alabama fans for as long as he could remember. Little did he know that the University of Alabama Tuscalosa doesn’t have a medical school, and his uncle went to UAB- University of Alabama Birmingham. This dudes fandom for his whole life was a lie!