"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how did he think drug tests were done on women? :rolleyes:

The reply I really want to make, I’m 99.9% sure would get me at least put on probation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Poor student, probably could never look at the nurse in the eye again....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know, just was expecting the meme.

Last edited:
RIgBkYr5aI0R_s9r4b2_h9NbSwhamvJPDX0Uq0974B96acrRIeuQ-NCcY5tf9cFnbaKzDhLNtqaMpz_0mjY5JEvwGOy5ym4fO6NH5kAnFt_o8fy5nD9RKw=w317-h463-nc

Reactions: 4 users
Premed: "... I mean, if you get pregnant during med school or residency you're basically just setting yourself up."

He said he heard the nurse say urine, but it didn't really register. For his entire life he had been under the impression drug tests were done on semen, so he just assumed she needed a semen sample.

This is dang hilarious.

My wife is an RN. She got a pamphlet in the mail yesterday that said, “Become a Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia!” It’s getting ridiculous. Why are nurses so obsessed with being called doctor without going to medical school?

The parents of these students seem to be worse. I can’t tell you how many times my FB newsfeed has some parent announcing that their Pharm or PT student will soon be Dr. (Fill in the blank). Do these people realize that when pharmacists and PTs are working, the public doesn’t call them doctor? And over a period of a few months, a mom has posted several pics of her child who’s applying to PA school announcing that the child will soon be Dr. (Name). The first time this happened, I thought her child would quietly correct her, but no.

To add to the confusion, one parent recently posted her child’s White Coat Ceremony pic. Her child is starting a PhD program but the white coat says a med school’s name. (And I do understand that there are such programs, but all of this just adds to the confusion.)

And one parent recently asked which major is best for her incoming freshman, music or ob/gyn. :confused:

Anyway, many colleges have started so we should soon be seeing some funny posts from students cringing over all the brain surgeon/pediatric heart surgeon pronouncements from their fellow classmates who’ve yet to take a bio or chem exam....

Reactions: 3 users
The parents of these students seem to be worse. I can’t tell you how many times my FB newsfeed has some parent announcing that their Pharm or PT student will soon be Dr. (Fill in the blank). Do these people realize that when pharmacists and PTs are working, the public doesn’t call them doctor? And over a period of a few months, a mom has posted several pics of her child who’s applying to PA school announcing that the child will soon be Dr. (Name). The first time this happened, I thought her child would quietly correct her, but no.

To add to the confusion, one parent recently posted her child’s White Coat Ceremony pic. Her child is starting a PhD program but the white coat says a med school’s name. (And I do understand that there are such programs, but all of this just adds to the confusion.)

And one parent recently asked which major is best for her incoming freshman, music or ob/gyn. :confused:

Anyway, many colleges have started so we should soon be seeing some funny posts from students cringing over all the brain surgeon/pediatric heart surgeon pronouncements from their fellow classmates who’ve yet to take a bio or chem exam....
it has to be a parent thing. When I went to grad school, my mom kept telling the relatives that I was going to study "nuclear medicine".
My field of study was about as related to nuclear medicine as is botany. This was right around the time of the catastrophe at Chernobyl, so I guess the latter stuck in her head, despite my constant attempts at correcting her.

Reactions: 5 users

Haha. Don’t forget the pediatric neuro-cardiothoracic surgeon. With a minor in ortho.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer at my old high school and field tons of questions every year. There was one 14 year old who wanted to know how much money I made. She would not give up on her question even when I told her money should not be on her mind at this stage. She must have asked me four times, lol.

Another 14 year old girl was trying to get me to take her on as a “researcher” and her parents were phDs and she knew a lot and she was going to be a doctor and go to this ivy and this medical school...I was trying so hard not to laugh. Gunner mentality is there at a very young age!! I told her to keep her options open but I think it went in one ear and out the other.

Reactions: 12 users
I saw a "describe yourself" poster made by a certain elementary school student. Under the "When I grow up, I want to be a...", she had written "dermatologist" and underneath was a stick figure with a bunch of jewelry and bling.
This kiddo is definitely headed in the right direction

Reactions: 23 users
I volunteer at my old high school and field tons of questions every year. There was one 14 year old who wanted to know how much money I made. She would not give up on her question even when I told her money should not be on her mind at this stage. She must have asked me four times, lol.

Another 14 year old girl was trying to get me to take her on as a “researcher” and her parents were phDs and she knew a lot and she was going to be a doctor and go to this ivy and this medical school...I was trying so hard not to laugh. Gunner mentality is there at a very young age!! I told her to keep her options open but I think it went in one ear and out the other.

You could have told her, quite truthfully, something like this: "Let me give you a hint: When I was in residency, I was making less than minimum wage."

Reactions: 6 users
I had a high school senior message me on Instagram asking if I still had my mcat prep book and if he could buy it from me because his sister said he should start studying now.

Reactions: 5 users
Not a pre-med but...I was looking for class profile for Seton Hall and came across their undergrad pre-med advising:
"An overall GPA and BCPM GPA of 3.8 or greater is usually required for allopathic medical school."

Highlighting this point made in May because there was a guest speaker in my bio class, a 2nd year med student, who pretty much kept insisting you need to maintain a 3.8 or else you can't get in.

The worst part is that the teacher agreed.

Someone in one of my classes said they were thinking about going to a Caribbean med school because quote, "If I'm gonna be torturing myself in med school, I might as well do it in paradise." The teacher did try to warn them that people tended to have a difficult time matching and finding residencies when they went to med school in the Caribbean but it just went in one ear and out the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone in one of my classes said they were thinking about going to a Caribbean med school because quote, "If I'm gonna be torturing myself in med school, I might as well do it in paradise." The teacher did try to warn them that people tended to have a difficult time matching and finding residencies when they went to med school in the Caribbean but it just went in one ear and out the other.

I just listened to an episode of the pre-med podcast where they spoke with a dude who graduated from AUA, didn't match his first time, and then matched his second time. This guy did pretty poorly his first two years of college, then did well his last two years, but he studied for the MCAT for like 3 weeks and got < 20 on the old MCAT. He didn't say his score, but he said teens. Rather than retake it, he just went down to the Carib where he proceeded to fail a bunch of his exams the first year. I don't remember how he did on his step exams, but I don't think that great. Can't remember if he failed or not. Failed to match or scramble first time up, took a job with one of the MCAT prep companies making content and did some research, matched the second time into EM.

The dude had like no concept of statistics or the realities of the match from the Carib. He thought the fact that there was 1 neurosurgery match and a couple ortho matches out of hundreds of students was evidence that it's a decent option, and the guy who runs the podcast made no effort to correct him or imply that going to the Carib is a terrible choice for almost everyone.

They should just apply to Miami

Reactions: 1 user
girl at work: i just graduated college and i want to go to pa school
Me: oh cool did you already apply this cycle? (Apparently the pa cycle is even earlier than med and many schools stop reviewing in the summer before their deadlines)
Her: yeah i dont have any clinical experience but since i started this medical assistant job in july i am going to apply in october
Me: Ohhhhkayyy......

A very short story - I asked someone I know (with a 503 mcat for reference) if they were applying DO along with MD this cycle and they said "lol nah I don't really like bones"

Reactions: 15 users
A very short story - I asked someone I know (with a 503 mcat for reference) if they were applying DO along with MD this cycle and they said "lol nah I don't really like bones"

This happens a lot. People either think I deal with teeth or feet.

Reactions: 9 users
I was dropping my dogs off at a pet hotel and the girl checking them in said she was studying pediatric medicine. I dug a little deeper and she said she is a college freshman studying pediatrics :thinking:

She’s probably studying Early Childhood Education to be a preschool teacher.

Not a clueless pre-med, but amusing none-the-less:

As some background, no one on my mom's side of the family has gone to college beyond the community college level except but me.

We were at a family party and some relatives were asking about my future goals.

Relative: So, you're going to med school?
Me: I'd like to, but I still have a year until I apply.
Relative: So what do you want to specialize in? Proctology?
(mini rant: my career is not a joke. med school is a serious commitment and I'd appreciate it if you don't trivialize it. rant over)
Me: Well, I'm enjoying research right now, so I'd like a specialty that allows me to do lab research.
Relative: You know, your cousin works for [insert generic laboratory services company]!!!
Me: Oh really? I didn't know! What does he do?
Relative: He drives specimens from the hospitals to the lab!
Me: *internal facepalm* wow, that's cool

It's like no one outside of the pre-med/STEM world knows how research works. They either think its a research paper for English class where you look up sources online or they don't know what it is. I have had to educate my family on just what a laborious process doing original laboratory research is, because they just don't get it lol

One thing that always rubbed me the wrong way is how my pre-med cohorts would describe their research activities.

It’s was always a broad description without ever telling you much...

“I did clinical research”
“I spent a year doing ortho trauma research”
“My lab worked on model organisms for Alzheimer's”

To me that’s code for “idrk what I did I just did it for the CV”

I much prefer hearing student researchers say things like “I used to take care of the mice for my PIs trial” or “I worked on a gene database” or “I helped my PI design a flourescent probe to find out the localization pattern of some protein he discovered”

I understand research is part of the grand dance to career-ship and all, but it makes me more hopful to hear future medical scientists who have passion for their work.

One thing that always rubbed me the wrong way is how my pre-med cohorts would describe their research activities.

It’s was always a broad description without ever telling you much...

“I did clinical research”
“I spent a year doing ortho trauma research”
“My lab worked on model organisms for Alzheimer's”

To me that’s code for “idrk what I did I just did it for the CV”

I much prefer hearing student researchers say things like “I used to take care of the mice for my PIs trial” or “I worked on a gene database” or “I helped my PI design a flourescent probe to find out the localization pattern of some protein he discovered”

I understand research is part of the grand dance to career-ship and all, but it makes me more hopful to hear future medical scientists who have passion for their work.

Can they not go further into detail when prompted? I often start vague with such descriptions because it orients the person that I'm talking to to the context of the research - "a fluorescent probe to find out the localization pattern of some protein" might mean absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't work in the field, but "cancer research" is pretty understandable to the general public. Keeping it vague = keeping it understandable. Then, based on the person I'm talking to and their interest/background, I may or may not go deeper into my actual role. Also, sometimes people are involved in multiple projects that can be summed up into one vague topic, but would take longer to explain each task in detail. In a med school interview I would definitely go into detail, but to a random person I just met asking me what I do for work? probably not

Reactions: 17 users
Not a clueless pre-med, but amusing none-the-less:

As some background, no one on my mom's side of the family has gone to college beyond the community college level except but me.

We were at a family party and some relatives were asking about my future goals.

Relative: So, you're going to med school?
Me: I'd like to, but I still have a year until I apply.
Relative: So what do you want to specialize in? Proctology?
(mini rant: my career is not a joke. med school is a serious commitment and I'd appreciate it if you don't trivialize it. rant over)
Me: Well, I'm enjoying research right now, so I'd like a specialty that allows me to do lab research.
Relative: You know, your cousin works for [insert generic laboratory services company]!!!
Me: Oh really? I didn't know! What does he do?
Relative: He drives specimens from the hospitals to the lab!
Me: *internal facepalm* wow, that's cool

It's like no one outside of the pre-med/STEM world knows how research works. They either think its a research paper for English class where you look up sources online or they don't know what it is. I have had to educate my family on just what a laborious process doing original laboratory research is, because they just don't get it lol

It’s not just research, those outside of the premed/med world really have no idea. They think premed courses are teaching medical concepts, they think the people who do their sonograms are radiologists, they think students major in specialties in med school, and they think nurses can be “promoted” to become doctors.

When family and friends compare what you’re doing to someone who delivers specimens to labs, all you can do is smile and nod.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Not a quote but saw someone in my class applying to MD schools just yesterday, RIP

Reactions: 11 users
Dude, I know these girls, 2, that are applying to less than 10 schools apiece and haven't even finished half of their secondaries. Or did you mean applying as in working on his primary?

Dude, I know these girls, 2, that are applying to less than 10 schools apiece and haven't even finished half of their secondaries. Or did you mean applying as in working on his primary?
Haha, i'm not exactly sure but I believe it was primaries:laugh:

Not a quote but saw someone in my class applying to MD schools just yesterday, RIP
Someone on Reddit made a post that they submitted their primary yesterday and was asking in the comments why people think he made a mistake.

Reactions: 4 users
One of my friends is applying next cycle with me, I'm a junior while he's a senior planning to take a gap year. I had to show him the portal for the committee letter, remind him about the committee letter, and remind him about our premed advising. The portal also shows you your BCPM and AO GPAs, so you don't have to calculate it yourself. His BCPM is <3.0, and he's missed over half our physics lectures since he found that out. He's a nice guy, but I'm thinking this is classic self-sabotage.

Reactions: 7 users