Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An SDN classic!

Also best diagram ever:
picture.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you automatically got 8 points for filling in the scantron?

I couldn't remember if it was 8 or 3; but you get points for not even answering, I know that. :laugh:

"Isn't it harder to get in your in-state school because you're competing with more in-state applicants?"

:smuggrin:

smh....this person is applying this upcoming cycle. I wish them the best...

years ago....

some girl had like a 2.5 gpa or something and was studying business mgt at a crap university...she then told her mom that she was "changing her major" to medicine in order to become a doctor...the mom of course gets super excited and starts bragging to all her friends...i had the pleasure of deflating that balloon :smuggrin:

AT THE MCAT, AT CHECK IN:

Homeboy: Can we use a calulator?
Me: No.

YESTERDAY, by someone with a very recent 'revelation' that medicine was her only viable career path. Her GPA: 2.1/MCAT:not taken/Prereqs:hungover:rug problem

*on the topic of contemplating vegetarianism*
Homegirl: Did you hear that stuff about what eating chicken does?
Me: No...what does eating chicken do?
Homegirl: It like, causes inflammation.
Me: Of what/where?
Homegirl: It inflames your B6. Yeah. Like, really bad. It's really not good for you.
Me: Oh, that makes sense....

There's this kid at my lame state school who gets all Cs and Ds in pre-reqs. One day he added me on fb, so I checked out his info page. Turns out he is an anatomy TA at Harvard Medical School, and also works at Mass General as a CRNA, where one of his responsibilities is assisting with general surgical procedures. After reading that, I was really impressed with him. Who would have known?

Also, there was a girl in my biochem class who I overheard talking about how she didn't do well on her MCAT, so her plan was to "go to DO school first, and after she graduated then she would apply to medical school". She was nice, so I tried to explain to her that DO school is medical school, and that it is still difficult to get into. I told her that she should look into a kaplan course or something if she was having trouble with the MCAT, to which she replied that she already took the kaplan course 3 times and it only helped her the first time, wait for it... because she went from a 7 to a 10, but the third time she went back down to an 8 (total score, not section average) She said the application process is also BS, because the MCAT is just one part of the applicant, and she is "clearly qualified because she a solid B student". Fantastic, good luck to you.

she should probably order a CT scan

I heard this one yesterday.

Dermatologist@my lecture: "Who wants to become a dermatologist?
Girl" (raises hand) "I want to become a dermatologist."
Dermatologist: What year are you (he assumes medical school)?
Girl: "I'm a freshman (in college)"
Dermatologist: "Well, you need to get into medical school first."
Girl: (shuts up)
Me: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

This doesn't seem 'less informed' as much as it seems like the Dermatologist being a dick.

Reactions: 6 users
Some girl told me she wanted to open her own practice right when she got out of medical school because she "didn't want to put up with all that residency bull****."

• Haha
Some girl told me she wanted to open her own practice right when she got out of medical school because she "didn't want to put up with all that residency bull****."

Certainly "lolwut"-worthy.

I got a really good one about a pre-dent student.

Me: Oh so you want to become a dentist.
Pre-Dent student: Yeah, I'd much rather become a dentist than a doctor because of simple supply and demand.
Me: What? What do you mean?
Pre-Dent Student: You can become a doctor anywhere, in the U.S., in the carribean, in eastern europe, so there are going to be lot of doctors than dentists in the next 20 years in this country. Since there are more doctors the supply is high and their salaries go down. Since there are fewer dentists for the same general population, their salaries go up. See simple supply and demand.
Me: WTF?????!!!!!????????!!!!! God I am scared about the direction that our high school education system is headed in.

Another one about an uninformed pre-med

Dumb Pre-Med: So what kind of doctor do you want to be, if you get into medical school.
Me: I was thinking about becoming a Neurologist.
Dumb Pre-Med: who the hell wants to see a neurologist? Very few people in the country have neurology problems and as a result, neurologists get paid very little compared to a family doctors.

^^^ This kid has no idea about how doctors are compensated for their work from insurance companies.

People like piss me off, but also give me something to laugh about. Sad thing is they don't understand just how stupid they really are. :)

I got a really good one about a pre-dent student.

Me: Oh so you want to become a dentist.
Pre-Dent student: Yeah, I'd much rather become a dentist than a doctor because of simple supply and demand.
Me: What? What do you mean?
Pre-Dent Student: You can become a doctor anywhere, in the U.S., in the carribean, in eastern europe, so there are going to be lot of doctors than dentists in the next 20 years in this country. Since there are more doctors the supply is high and their salaries go down. Since there are fewer dentists for the same general population, their salaries go up. See simple supply and demand.
Me: WTF?????!!!!!????????!!!!! God I am scared about the direction that our high school education system is headed in.

To be fair, applications to dental school have risen far more than applications to medical school in the past few years. Dentists make more money earlier on than most docs, and can open their own practice without having done a residency. (For just general dentistry, anyway). His reasoning is ****ing ******ed, though.

I'm surprised nobody took the opportunity to call this one out.

You mean by pointing out the fact that the scale is purposely set to inflict a national mean of ~25? Psssft, nah, must just be those stupid pre-meds are too dumb to make the mean a 30.;)

This is a representation of how little people know about the difficulties of being a premed...

My boyfriend is a psych major. He is going to be graduating a year before me and this is a conversation we had about why I couldnt finish when he did.

Him: This is your fault. You should have taken more classes at once.
Me: I dont think you understand how intense many of these classes are.I still have to take Org 1 and 2, biochem, physio, AND pchem.
Him: You should have taken three of them every summer....

He's right. I should have just taken orgo, biochem, and pchem all at once in a 6 week semester.

how come you are taking pchem? chem /chem E major?

This doesn't seem 'less informed' as much as it seems like the Dermatologist being a dick.

I don't think so. How many people know they want to be a dermatologist as as a college freshman? They don't have the grades yet and no board scores and when kids think of doctors they don't think of dermatologists.

The derm was actually pretty cool.

To be fair, applications to dental school have risen far more than applications to medical school in the past few years. Dentists make more money earlier on than most docs, and can open their own practice without having done a residency. (For just general dentistry, anyway). His reasoning is ****ing ******ed, though.

Well in a slight defense of his logic, I think that he thinks because dentists in the US cannot be licensed without attending an American/Canadian? dental school, that makes dentistry safer from hoards of IMGs as compared to medicine. Not to mention since he probably isn't familiar with the statistics on IMG residency placement and is probably relying on anecdotal evidence of seeing a bunch of foreign graduate doctors. He probably put two and two together and made the assumption that medicine is very inclusive and thus could take a major plunge. I mean obviously he's pretty wrong.. but probably based on the amount of information he had, he probably made a pretty decent assumption.

I don't think so. How many people know they want to be a dermatologist as as a college freshman? They don't have the grades yet and no board scores and when kids think of doctors they don't think of dermatologists.

The derm was actually pretty cool.

They think the profession is cool

Same logic with tons of people who want to be plastic surgeons, or radiologists, or orthopedics, they like the idea of it.

Noone except people in medical school think of specialities in terms of board scores, only about the general interest.

Go to a pre-med club, or go find a general biology class and poll the pre-meds about specialities, and the bulk will have some idea and simply won't say "I haven't taken Step 1 yet, so I dunno if I'm out for certain specialties yet".

Let them dream, then wait to be neurotic later :D

Reactions: 2 users
My cousin who is a senior in high school told me the other day that he took a look at an MCAT test prep book and thought it looked "really easy." For full disclosure, he has only had one semester of chemistry and one semester of ap biology. And no, although he's smart, he's not a genius.

My cousin who is a senior in high school told me the other day that he took a look at an MCAT test prep book and thought it looked "really easy." For full disclosure, he has only had one semester of chemistry and one semester of ap biology. And no, although he's smart, he's not a genius.

MCAT is designed that way. The distracting answers always look good if you're not solid on your material. And instead of 1 distracting answer out of 4, there are 3.

Get him to take a practice test.

pre-pharm/med confused person: family doctors don't know **** compared to pharmacists cuz they only do 3 years of school. pharms do more!!:sleep:

I'm an engineering major, so I don't encounter a lot of pre-meds.
We do have plenty of social gems like the guy that wears a japanese schoolgirl outfit to class and another that wears a squirrel tail.

I did that on halloween once to my intro to computer engineering class, actually. Granted, I was also carrying a kusarigama, so that kind of evened out the cuteness, I guess...

This girl in a biochem. class I took had a "medical dictionary" and used it to look up everything that the professor would present. It was like maybe 300 pages so it wasn't that ridiculous but....cmon......really? She could have used some other reference (i.e. the required course textbook)

She didn't take notes at all, just waited for a good opportunity to whip out the big medical dictionary. Haven't seen her since either.

This girl in a biochem. class I took had a "medical dictionary" and used it to look up everything that the professor would present. It was like maybe 300 pages so it wasn't that ridiculous but....cmon......really? She could have used some other reference (i.e. the required course textbook)

She didn't take notes at all, just waited for a good opportunity to whip out the big medical dictionary. Haven't seen her since either.

Probably whipped out that medical dictionary during an exam and got herself expelled! :laugh:

Pre-med: "I'm just going to go to medical school part time so I can keep my job"
Me: "But you....there's....you know what? Let me know how that works out for you"

Pre-med: "I'm just going to go to medical school part time so I can keep my job"
Me: "But you....there's....you know what? Let me know how that works out for you"

Nevertheless, I would be curious how many med students actually DO manage to maintain a job while going to school! I'll bet there are some who pull it off.... (Obviously, it's not the norm, but surely there are a few brave geniuses....)

Nevertheless, I would be curious how many med students actually DO manage to maintain a job while going to school! I'll bet there are some who pull it off.... (Obviously, it's not the norm, but surely there are a few brave geniuses....)

Plenty of people manage parenthood+school, which is not too much different from full time job+school IMO.

I once had a pre-med tell me she was just going to apply to Harvard. I told her that it's pretty hard to get in there - maybe she'd want some backup schools. She said, "Yeah, well most people that apply there have no business applying there."

I gave her a thumbs up and said, "I'm sure you're gonna do just great."

good advice :laugh:

Not a pre-med story but I ran into a guy I knew from high school. He asked what I was up to and I told him I was finishing up grad school and getting ready to start medical school in August. He says, "Wow man that's great, but don't stop there. You should totally keep going and try to be a doctor or something." I just agreed and told him those were my plans.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Not a pre-med story but I ran into a guy I knew from high school. He asked what I was up to and I told him I was finishing up grad school and getting ready to start medical school in August. He says, "Wow man that's great, but don't stop there. You should totally keep going and try to be a doctor or something." I just agreed and told him those were my plans.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the number of people that aren't aware that going to medical school means that you'll become a doctor. It hurts my ego, super serious.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the number of people that aren't aware that going to medical school means that you'll become a doctor. It hurts my ego, super serious.

It's also disheartening when you find out how many people think you "just go" to medical school right after college. They have no idea how difficult the admissions process can be.

It's also disheartening when you find out how many people think you "just go" to medical school right after college. They have no idea how difficult the admissions process can be.

No doubt. If I hear from one more person that doesn't know ANYTHING about applying to medical school "I'm sure you'll get in... you're a smart guy" I'm gonna choke. People don't seem to understand why I'm stressed about applying. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
No doubt. If I hear from one more person that doesn't know ANYTHING about applying to medical school "I'm sure you'll get in... you're a smart guy" I'm gonna choke. People don't seem to understand why I'm stressed about applying. :rolleyes:

I mean I got this a lot. But what do you want them say?

"Yeah, it's tough, your stats don't seem to meet the par. Good luck though."

Derm guy kind of sounds like an idiot for not knowing he was only lecturing to pre-med students.

On more than one occasion, this has happened:

Some person (usually an old person): "So what are you doing after you graduate?"
Me: "I hope to go to medical school."
Some person: "Oh, to become a nurse?"
Me: :confused:

I get it a lot I assume because I'm female. At the hospital I volunteered at, EVERYBODY assumes I was going into nursing. It's fine, obviously some people are there because they're pre-nursing. And I have nothing against nurses, it's a respectable profession. But one time I was with a male volunteer. And a tech asked if he was premed (he said yes) and asked if I was pre-nursing :confused:.

Also, this happened at a retail job I had in college:

Co-worker (non-premed, old guy, just had met): "So you want to be a doctor, what kind of doctor do you want to be?"
Me: I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking about becoming a Neurologist.
Co-worker: Neurologist??? (laughs) Oh honey, you have to be smart to become a Neurologist. You'll probably become a Pediatrician.
Me: :eek: (just insulted my intelligence AND insulted the entire field of Pediatrics!)

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Also, this happened at a retail job I had in college:

Co-worker (non-premed, old guy, just had met): "So you want to be a doctor, what kind of doctor do you want to be?"
Co-worker: Neurologist??? (laughs) Oh honey, you have to be smart to become a Neurologist. You'll probably become a Pediatrician.
Me: :eek: (just insulted my intelligence AND insulted the entire field of Pediatrics!)

The sexism thing happens all the time. A post-doc (neuroscientist) I know was doing neurosurgery on the macaques in our monkey lab, and was in full scrubs, mask, etc. A male undergrad said, "Hey you look like a nurse!".

I don't even know what to say about that last quote with your co-worker. :confused:

On more than one occasion, this has happened:
I'm I the only one who found this funny? Anyways one convo I had went like this...
Pre-med: So i heard that when you get into medical school they cant kick you out.
Me: Really?
Pre-med: Yeah, so all you gotta do is work really hard to get in but once you're in you dont have to work that hard...
Me: What if you fail?
Pre-med: It doesnt matter, they cant legally expell you even if you fail
Me: oh cool thats good to know

Some people dont realize how dumb they can sound sometimes

I'm I the only one who found this funny? Anyways one convo I had went like this...
Pre-med: So i heard that when you get into medical school they cant kick you out.
Me: Really?
Pre-med: Yeah, so all you gotta do is work really hard to get in but once you're in you dont have to work that hard...
Me: What if you fail?
Pre-med: It doesnt matter, they cant legally expell you even if you fail
Me: oh cool thats good to know

Some people dont realize how dumb they can sound sometimes

Someone probably exaggerated and told him that med students never fail out (which is generally close to being true for US MD schools) and he extrapolated from that that it must be impossible to be failed out (and therefore illegal). Sure... pretty p*ss poor logic, but funny and semi-rational nonetheless (just lacking in any sort of common sense, but what else is new with pre-meds).

From same "premed":

"I'm going to be a physical therapist. Med school is going to be hard."

In response to me saying that I wanted to go into OB:
"You want to be an OB/GYN? That's a nurse right?"

Last edited:
I'm not a "pre med" yet, but this remind me of something that happened last year. I go to a trade/Voc HS and in my health/CNA trade we had to learn med terms. So one day when we were going over our list of terms each week, we come across Myorrhexis and the teacher asked if anyone knew what it ment. Soooo this girl raises her hand, proudly and said "rupture of the vagina" :laugh: mind you she was completely serious. everybody just laughed.

The other day on Jeoprady the question was to name the part of your face, just above your upper lip and below your nose. The guy answered "fistula". It was really quite funny.

Derm guy kind of sounds like an idiot for not knowing he was only lecturing to pre-med students.

It was at a medical school and college kids were present. He asked that question to the med students.

What's wrong with the dermatologist's response? The next logical step in fulfilling her goal would be getting accepted to medical school.

The sexism thing happens all the time. A post-doc (neuroscientist) I know was doing neurosurgery on the macaques in our monkey lab, and was in full scrubs, mask, etc. A male undergrad said, "Hey you look like a nurse!".

I don't even know what to say about that last quote with your co-worker. :confused:
I get things like that ALLLL the time. "What do you do?" "Oh I go to med school" "Oh, are you going to be a nurse?"....

Status
Not open for further replies.