HS senior class recommendations? future pre-med, biology major.

celine40

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am now a HS junior. Im interested in taking pre-med classes in college and majoring in biology. Im looking to see if anyone can help me with some classes I could take as a senior, I have most picked but looking for some advice for a few classes.

Junior classes: (what i'm taking right now)
Journalism
APUSH
Physics Honors
Algebra 2 honors
Spanish 1 honors
English 3 honors

- I regret taking Journalism, as im not interested in Journalism at all! But I did need to take an arts class to graduate. And -
the class has taught me a lot about writing essays/stories but still I kind of regret it.
They don't have AP physics at my high school but I would have liked to take that
- Yes I should be in pre-calc. Typical Junior class. But when I was in middle school they had more than half of my class take the same math class twice. At the time I didn't really question it... It was a really small school and Im guessing academics wasn't their prime focus. I hate that it set me back so far. But I heard most colleges won't set you back for not taking AP calc.... most understand.
- I know you are supposed to take four years of the same language. At my school they don't have four years of any language. I took French 1 in 9th grade... but I hated it and didn't feel strong enough to go into French 2. But I suppose two years of Spanish will make up for that. Still awful decision of taking French at all.
- No explanation for English....

For my senior year im going to a different school. A much better school with MUCH more AP classes

Senior classes: (Hopefully what i'm taking.... any advice/recommendations?)
AP lang
Pre Calc
Chemistry 1 honors
0.5 of Macroeconomics, 0.5 AP US government
Spanish 2
AP psychology
need one more class

I can't take AP chem as you have to take chemistry 1 first and for AP bio you have to have taken chem 1 first too!

A few of my choices for that last class:
Anatomy/Physi honors
AP physics
AP statistics
or if anyone else has anything in mind

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, your high school classes don't really matter that much. Take whatever you want. Only recommendation I would have is not to take any AP courses that are pre-med prerequisites (AP bio, chem, physics, stats, psych, sociology). You will want to retake those courses at the college level anyway to make sure you are adequately prepared for the MCAT, and some med schools won't take AP credits. So unless you really struggle in those subjects and want to basically take the same class twice, it really won't help you to take those at the AP level. I would think it would be more valuable to do things like AP English, foreign language, government/history to get those "liberal arts" requirements out of the way. That way, once you're in college, you can focus more on your pre-med courses and your major without having to deal with random BS classes you aren't interested in but need to graduate.

Ahh! that is super helpful! thank you so much!

I would like to echo what you have already been told but also wanted to emphasize the idea that you shouldn't shoot yourself in the foot grades-wise. I am sure you are a good student but consider taking the one from that list that is both most interesting and you can do well in, especially since it doesn't matter which courses you take in high school, as long as you do well enough to get into your undergraduate program.