Future DR resident interested in IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cephaladosaur

Reaction score
Hello,

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in IR. I recently graduated med school and will be starting residency in diagnostic rads after an intern year in general surgery. I'll be going to a mid-tier academic place with 2 ESIR spots/year. Right off the bat, I don't mean to come off as neurotic. I am indeed enjoying my vacation time, but I do find it valuable to set short-term goals for myself. I did not apply to direct IR programs, but have developed a strong desire to pursue this path as a fellowship after rotating with IR during my fourth year of med school
My understanding, through interviewing with DR, is that obtaining fellowship in most non-IR subspecialties is fairly easy, but I have no clue how competitive IR fellowships are. A few questions I have:

1) I read that 2-year VIR fellowships are shutting down, and 2-year independent IR fellowships will replace them. What is the difference between these two?
2) Any advantages/disadvantages to applying to independent IR fellowships through ESIR vs. non-ESIR?
3) I also wanted to know what exactly the application criteria is for 1) obtaining an ESIR spot and 2) independent IR fellowships. How much weight is placed on Step 1/2/3? Research? Letters? Med school grades?
4) And lastly, I wanted some advice on what I can be doing now to bolster my chances of getting on the ESIR path and being competitive for fellowship. I have thought about getting involved in IR or vascular surgery projects during my surgical intern year. For fellowship, I would ideally like to end up in a specific geographic region (and a specific school) in order to be closer to family.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.