Future Forensic Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damusiel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can forensic psychiatrists work in a corrections facility or prison? What do they generally do?
I really want to work in a corrections facility as a forensic psychiatrist.

Also, do forensic psychiatrists do general psychiatry and have clinical patients on the side? Can they have their own clinical private practice?

Can forensic psychiatrists work in hospitals? Where do they usually work?

Members don't see this ad.

Can forensic psychiatrists work in a corrections facility or prison? What do they generally do?
You want to work as a forensic psychiatrists in a corrections facility, yet you don't even know if such a job exists or what it entails? What makes you say you want that job, then?

Reactions: 2 users
my favorite part is the "Pre-Dental" status.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A forensic psychiatrist is a psychiatrist, and they can work anywhere that needs a psychiatrist. When you say you want to be a forensic psychiatrist who works in a prison, you may want to clarify if you mean one or the other or both. Though forensic psychiatry technically includes correctional psychiatry, in general the training of forensic psychiatrists is more about evaluation and communicating that evaluation to whomever (courts, employers, lawyers, insurance companies, etc.) You may need to be a forensic psychiatrist (or have some background experience) perhaps if you’re working in a role where you’re treating and evaluating such as with people who are not competent to proceed. You may need a forensic background if you’re looking to be an upper administrator for a prison system. But then there are people who are providing psychiatric care to inmates. This does not require being a forensic psychiatrist. They can’t even find psychiatrists to staff these positions, let alone forensic psychiatrists.

Reactions: 2 users

Also, do forensic psychiatrists do general psychiatry and have clinical patients on the side? Can they have their own clinical private practice?

Can forensic psychiatrists work in hospitals? Where do they usually work?

I am forensically trained in psych. Have worked in prisons and jails, also determining competency to stand trial and criminal responsibility at the mental health court in Baltimore. But I still have a general psychiatric private practice. You can certainly do both.

I am forensically trained in psych. Have worked in prisons and jails, also determining competency to stand trial and criminal responsibility at the mental health court in Baltimore. But I still have a general psychiatric private practice. You can certainly do both.

This sounds really interesting. Is this adult psychiatry residency followed by a forensic psychiatry fellowship? Does the fellowship open any doors / allow you to do things you couldn't without the fellowship?

This sounds really interesting. Is this adult psychiatry residency followed by a forensic psychiatry fellowship? Does the fellowship open any doors / allow you to do things you couldn't without the fellowship?

I hope I am not blown off as a resource, but I am a PMHNP. I completed two years of forensic psych training in Baltimore. U OF MD and Johns Hopkins both have great fellowships in forensics for MDs. I piggy backed on their training and U of MD initiated contracts with the same facilities so I could also complete forensic rotations. I'm sure you can find such opportunities near you. I love forensics but still own a private practice. My colleagues who are forensically trained psychiatrists in town also do both, as well as inpatient

Last edited:
A forensic psychiatrist is a psychiatrist, and they can work anywhere that needs a psychiatrist. When you say you want to be a forensic psychiatrist who works in a prison, you may want to clarify if you mean one or the other or both. Though forensic psychiatry technically includes correctional psychiatry, in general the training of forensic psychiatrists is more about evaluation and communicating that evaluation to whomever (courts, employers, lawyers, insurance companies, etc.) You may need to be a forensic psychiatrist (or have some background experience) perhaps if you’re working in a role where you’re treating and evaluating such as with people who are not competent to proceed. You may need a forensic background if you’re looking to be an upper administrator for a prison system. But then there are people who are providing psychiatric care to inmates. This does not require being a forensic psychiatrist. They can’t even find psychiatrists to staff these positions, let alone forensic psychiatrists.

True. Those with forensic training are more likely to complete the "competency to stand trial " and "criminal responsibility " evaluations for recommendation to the court.

You want to work as a forensic psychiatrists in a corrections facility, yet you don't even know if such a job exists or what it entails? What makes you say you want that job, then?

That's why OP is inquiring.

That's why OP is inquiring.
OP said he wants to "work in a corrections facility as a forensic psychiatrist." How can you want a job you know nothing about? It makes sense to come here asking what the job is like to see if he's interested, but to already be interested based on nothing?

OP said he wants to "work in a corrections facility as a forensic psychiatrist." How can you want a job you know nothing about? It makes sense to come here asking what the job is like to see if he's interested, but to already be interested based on nothing?

C'mon hamstergang! Give him a break! He wants some info. Some details. Sounds interesting to him. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
C'mon hamstergang! Give him a break! He wants some info. Some details. Sounds interesting to him. ;)
You're new here so I'm guessing you aren't familiar with this poster. He started a bunch of threads expressing interest in various topics but never (outside of 2 posts stating he was in high school) returned to the threads to interact and get more from them.

In this thread, I tried to engage him to find out where he was coming from, find out what got him to be interested in this field to begin with. As you can see, he's disappeared, as usual for him. You don't really need to try to defend him just to argue with psychiatrists.

You're new here so I'm guessing you aren't familiar with this poster. He started a bunch of threads expressing interest in various topics but never (outside of 2 posts stating he was in high school) returned to the threads to interact and get more from them.

In this thread, I tried to engage him to find out where he was coming from, find out what got him to be interested in this field to begin with. As you can see, he's disappeared, as usual for him. You don't really need to try to defend him just to argue with psychiatrists.

Oh jeez... I was being playful and you are assuming the worst. Use your skills to look beyond the fact that I am not a physician. I don't enjoy disagreements with psychiatrists... take a different perspective. As for the OP, I didn't know he was a high school student or that he frequently does this. Are you just looking through my comments to disagree? Step back, I wasnt asking for an argument.

Are you just looking through my comments to disagree?
I'm not following you around -- I get an alert every time someone quotes one of my posts and you have replied to multiple posts of mine in these old threads.