Future Med/Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Takayasu

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am very much interested in adult hospitalist medicine as well as peds critical care. Any advice on the possibility of doing this at the same time going into med peds?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am very much interested in adult hospitalist medicine as well as peds critical care. Any advice on the possibility of doing this at the same time going into med peds?
Theoretically this is doable. One of my chiefs is heading into PICU fellowship with that exact goal. Since hospitalist fellowships are new (and dont seem to be growing too much though i could be wrong), you would only need to complete the one fellowship. You'd just need to keep up on your adult medicine while going through, but that is the issue all of us intending to head into fellowship one day have.

Reactions: 1 user
Theoretically this is doable. One of my chiefs is heading into PICU fellowship with that exact goal. Since hospitalist fellowships are new (and dont seem to be growing too much though i could be wrong), you would only need to complete the one fellowship. You'd just need to keep up on your adult medicine while going through, but that is the issue all of us intending to head into fellowship one day have.
Is it complicated to keep up with those skills? Genuinely interested...

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm wondering if it is possible to find a hospital that would be willing to create an adult hospitalist/PICU combined fellowship. I've heard of a few hospitals that have even been willing to combine 2 different specialties (i.e. heme onc/cardio) into a fellowship program.

I love the idea of med/peds hospitalist but I also love the critical care component. Theres the MICU/PICU one but so competitive & I prefer PICU over MICU. Did your chief mention anything about how he/she plans on keeping up with adult medicine?

I have heard of MICU/PICU fellowships, and at NMPRA one of the speakers was MICU/PICU attending at U Chicago. My understanding with a lot of the combined fellowships is that it's just a matter of finding an institution that is willing to work with you on it. You won't find them necessarily listed on ERAS, but you'll have to reach out to both PDs and see if it's possible to arrange.

I also don't think you'd have to do a hospitalist fellowship unless you decide to do peds hospitalist, as I know that's growing a good amount and I think will soon be required.