Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! So my boyfriend and I plan to marry after graduation from undergrad and he wants to take a year off before going to med school (and possibly be an EMT). We have talked about life while he is in med school but not indepth. I plan to work and use my money to pay most of the bills, my undergrad loans, and he will have loans for med school as well (he's lucky, his parents paid for his undergrad).
However, I have been really wondering about the whole having kids thing. All my life all I've ever wanted to do when I grew up was be a stay-at-home mom. Almost everyday I just worry over the little things that have to happen in order to make it work though. My mother had a lot of trouble being able to become pregnant (it took her like 5 years or so I believe) and I'm so worried that will happen to me as well! I don't want to wait years and years to have kids and then find out I have problems like she did. I don't want my children to have health problems either merely because I decided to wait until I was older to have them. However, with my boyfriend/future husband not only going to med school but also taking a year off inbetween, I am really wondering when to start "trying" I guess. Did anyone else have this issue? It seems a lot of people on here could plan their pregnancies really easily, I'm just not so sure that will work for me.
On top of that, the whole idea of finances has me scared to death. I am a big saver and hate being in debt (although my undergrad loans will only be around 20,000 when I graduate, I'm still super scared by that). I had always thought that during his 4th year of med school we could start trying and that way we'd have a baby when he was in residency and making an income in order to afford our family. However from reading other posts, it seems as though that is a bad time to start? He will more than likely be going to the University of Michigan's Med School or Michigan State's so any information from someone who had a child while in med school there would be AWESOME!
I've always been told that if you wait until you can afford kids it'll be too late. I don't want this to happen but again I want my kids to be able to enjoy sports and other activities and not make them miss out simply because we'd be so poor. On the other hand I guess we could just take out more loans and just be paying them back our whole lives?
Please any information on financing, when to have a child, what it's like to be in this situation, etc would be MUCH appreciated.
However, I have been really wondering about the whole having kids thing. All my life all I've ever wanted to do when I grew up was be a stay-at-home mom. Almost everyday I just worry over the little things that have to happen in order to make it work though. My mother had a lot of trouble being able to become pregnant (it took her like 5 years or so I believe) and I'm so worried that will happen to me as well! I don't want to wait years and years to have kids and then find out I have problems like she did. I don't want my children to have health problems either merely because I decided to wait until I was older to have them. However, with my boyfriend/future husband not only going to med school but also taking a year off inbetween, I am really wondering when to start "trying" I guess. Did anyone else have this issue? It seems a lot of people on here could plan their pregnancies really easily, I'm just not so sure that will work for me.
On top of that, the whole idea of finances has me scared to death. I am a big saver and hate being in debt (although my undergrad loans will only be around 20,000 when I graduate, I'm still super scared by that). I had always thought that during his 4th year of med school we could start trying and that way we'd have a baby when he was in residency and making an income in order to afford our family. However from reading other posts, it seems as though that is a bad time to start? He will more than likely be going to the University of Michigan's Med School or Michigan State's so any information from someone who had a child while in med school there would be AWESOME!
I've always been told that if you wait until you can afford kids it'll be too late. I don't want this to happen but again I want my kids to be able to enjoy sports and other activities and not make them miss out simply because we'd be so poor. On the other hand I guess we could just take out more loans and just be paying them back our whole lives?
Please any information on financing, when to have a child, what it's like to be in this situation, etc would be MUCH appreciated.