Future of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsaab1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all optometry students,

As a pre-optometry student, I have done much research into the industry. Today, I got into a debate with my brother (who is an ER doctor), about the future of optometry. He doesn't recommend that I follow optometry as a career path because of the decreasing price of surgery. According to him, there is a large possibility that the future of optometry may be at risk because an increase in technology could result in people not wearing glasses as much. In his oppinion, it won't be long before surgury will be the same price as glasses. As I explained to him that becoming an optometrist is more than just giving out glasses, he came up with other reasons why I should shy away. I really don't agree with him, but I would like to hear some thoughts from people with a little more knowledge about the field. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

As a pre-optometry student, I have done much research into the industry. Today, I got into a debate with my brother (who is an ER doctor), about the future of optometry. He doesn't recommend that I follow optometry as a career path because of the decreasing price of surgery. According to him, there is a large possibility that the future of optometry may be at risk because an increase in technology could result in people not wearing glasses as much. In his oppinion, it won't be long before surgury will be the same price as glasses. As I explained to him that becoming an optometrist is more than just giving out glasses, he came up with other reasons why I should shy away. I really don't agree with him, but I would like to hear some thoughts from people with a little more knowledge about the field. Thanks for your help!

Ahhh yes... the old "LASIK is going to eliminate the need for EVERYONE to wear glasses" story. This is unlikely, because not everyone can have LASIK surgery, and more importantly, not everyone WANTS LASIK surgery. Optometrists can also be involved in the post-op care of LASIK, and most LASIK warranties require the recipient to have a comprehensive eye exam every year to maintain their warranty (at least, that is the case where I live, someone jump in if I'm wrong) and could go to ODs for that care. So even if the number of surgeries went up dramatically, there would still be something for optometrists to do.

As far as ODs doing more than glasses, I'll let one of the more experienced posters chime in there. Yes, we are capable of doing MUCH more than glasses, however, many (or some, not sure on the numbers) optometrists see mostly "vision" type complaints for a variety of reasons, including the public's lack of awarness of what optometrists can do, the inability to bill medical because of insurance discrimination, etc.

Your brother is kind to be looking after your future and all, but if optometry is something that you are truly passionate about, and something you have thoroughly researched and understand what you are getting into, then you have to tell him, "Thanks, but no thanks" and move on.

I've read KHE say "you have to have a game plan" to make it in optometry. I really think that is true. I think there are some down sides to optometry too. If you are willing to take the bad with the good, all professions have bad sides, no?

Lasik is not one of the risks to eliminating optometry though. Myopic regression, Keratoconus contraindications, corneal degeneration contraindications, fear of getting operated on, are a few things that pop into mind, even with low cost lasik it is still cheaper to get glasses so not everyone can get lasik. I wouldn't get the $200.00 dollar special, just doesn't sound right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to resist the urge to chime in on this one. Don't trust what anybody says, let alone your brother.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling." No, it was just an acorn.

Lasik is far from perfect. The future will probably involve advanced contact lenses or other technology. Don't forget the children should not get LASIK and those over forty will need reading Rx's if they don't go for the less than optimal monovision.

Heck I'm a healthy myope with thick corneas and I have no interest.

Holy smokes, this is the funniest thing I've seen in some time!:laugh: :thumbup:

I know... I just love it. It showed up on SDN awhile back, when someone thought it was real. Obviously, it isn't, but I still crack up every time I think about it. Did you see the plume of smoke coming up from the guy's eye in number 3? Priceless!

I know... I just love it. It showed up on SDN awhile back, when someone thought it was real. Obviously, it isn't, but I still crack up every time I think about it. Did you see the plume of smoke coming up from the guy's eye in number 3? Priceless!

Don't blink!

It seems that the common response to the LASIK debate is that presbyopia can't be fixed, not all candidates are eligible, and not all candidates want lasik. Optometrists involved in comanagement of LASIK patients may also earn by providing pre/post-operative care.
These all describe the current situation, but we can't forget that things can always change. There already is research on creating transplants to correct presbyopia, Refractive surgery is always evolving, and as technology advances and procedures become increasingly commonplace, prices may fall as well. I still don't think they would ever fall as low as a few hundred dollars--older methods of refractive surgery have not fallen that low, why would we expect LASIK to--but I would still expect it to be a hefty price compared to glasses.

What assurances about the future can students have that will preclude the demise of optometry sometime in the next generation of optometrists (for the next 40 or so years)?

Your brother is wrong.

Dentists were predicted to go bankrupt when they started fluridating the water supply. I have yet to see any dentists on the food line.

Teachers were predicted to be on their way out when BETAMAX came out because the thought was that everyone would learn at home just be watching VCR tapes of prerecorded lessons. The demise of the teaching profession did not happen. The demise was predicted again 10 years ago as the internet and online coursework became more popular, but still today teaching is one of the most in demand fields out there.

Based on the research that I have seen, it is my belief that the future of refractive correction will not involve surgery. It will involve contact lenses made out of biocompatible materials far superior to even the best ones we have today. I believe that in 20 years, we will look back on this time in medical history and say "WOW BOB! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT WE USED TO SLICE INTO HEALTHY CORNEAS WITH KERATOMES AND THEN ZAP THEM WITH EXCIMER LASERS? WOW! THOSE WERE THE CAVEMEN DAYS! NYUK NYUK NYUK."

Of course, I could be wrong. No one can predict the future. I do believe however that if optometry goes under as a profession, it will not be because of LASIK, or any other refractive surgery.

People will always need glasses or contacts. They'll just get them on line in the future. You are better off going to med school and becoming an ophthalmologist if you can. If you don't want to do surgery you can practice medical ophthalmology and you can still fit contacts and glasses. You'll have the best of both worlds. And if you need to supplement your income you can do botox or other cosmetic procedures. THE REASON TO GET YOUR MD IS B/C YOU HAVE A LOT MORE OPTIONS TO MAKE MONEY. Don't forget MDs can get on vision plans and medical plans. Mds are at the top of the food chain.

Members don't see this ad :)
imagine a world where the only way to correct ametropia (having a prescription) was surgery (LASIK).

one day, some guy comes along, and says "Hey - I've got an invention! Glasses! I can fix your vision WITHOUT surgery!!"

everyone would be lining up in droves to get glasses.

LASIK is the last thing on my mind as a threat to optometry. optometry has multiple "threats" to it that have a greater chance of concern than LASIK ever will be. these include:

- opticians getting prescribing rights
- over-saturation of the market for ODs

LASIK is the last thing on my mind as a threat to optometry. optometry has multiple "threats" to it that have a greater chance of concern than LASIK ever will be. these include:

Which comes to show that optometry has many threats and is doomed for destruction?

doomed. dooooooomed.

to you, a list of two items is "many".

what adjective do you use to describe a list of one item?

#1 reason why optometry is doomed:

non passionate, low med school rejects, wanting high pay for little work, people going to optometry school.

seriously if you dont believe in the profession and you join it, you are just screwing everyone in it. thanks alot

I was in optometry schools years ago and the profession wasn't for me. It is retail driven not practice and care driven. To make a buck and pay back loans you almost have to work for walmart; however, you do very well if you have a good business sense and have a great practice.

i rushed my career decision out of college and went into it. My advice to everyone is optometry is a great field and their are many great fields in healthcare. Choose what best fits you and i implore all of you to actually work in those fields before you commit to them professionaly. Also don't think about your finances to much when making that decision. A very wealthy man told me if you do good work in whatever profession you choose the money will come naturally.

Here's hoping that the new wave of students is more interested in practice/care and not solely retail. I agree with your second paragraph whole-heartedly.

Which comes to show that optometry has many threats and is doomed for destruction?

The profession has its problems, yes. But, we are not unique in that regard. Spend some time in the dentistry, medicine, or even podiatry forums, and you will hear people complain about declining reimbursments, universal healthcare, or even osteopathic medicine opening up a new podiatry school (sound familiar?). Go into the profession because you can't imagine being happy doing anything else, and prepare to roll up your sleeves and FIGHT to ensure it remains a viable profession for many years after you're gone. If you have any doubts... deal with them, or find a "better" profession.

i rushed my career decision out of college and went into it. My advice to everyone is optometry is a great field and their are many great fields in healthcare. Choose what best fits you and i implore all of you to actually work in those fields before you commit to them professionaly.
That sounds like great advice but I don't know if it's possible in most cases. Can you really work in the field of optometry without being an optometrist? Work in dentistry without being a dentist? Work in medicine without being a doctor? You see where I'm going with this. I guess you can do job shadowing and whatnot, the only way you can really be in those fields is by going through the education so you can actually do it. And by then, you're either where you want to be or it's too late.

You guys have a lot of nerve griping out "underlings" trying to undercut you. You probably were all for the Oklahoma optometrists getting surgery privileges. How does it feel to have someone steal your turf? I hope opticians get script rights in every state and run you out of business.

You guys have a lot of nerve griping out "underlings" trying to undercut you. You probably were all for the Oklahoma optometrists getting surgery privileges. How does it feel to have someone steal your turf? I hope opticians get script rights in every state and run you out of business.

wow. you call my post griping? i sense bitterness in your post and it's not coming from the part you quoted.

and btw, i'm all for opticians prescribing and getting surgical rights. if opticians get cataract surgery, that would be a great lobby for optometrists to get cataract surgery also.

That is what one might say an "ignorant" post. If 40k ODs loose their livelihood from opticians, the cost of eyecare will drop through the floor and ODs will furiously fight for surgery let alone treat every medical condition possible. OMDs will also loose big time!

Refractive surgery is nearly hands off with lasers now cutting the flap, AMO is working on a way for lasers to do phaco. Soon there won't be any need for Fl angiograms with new technologies.

What EGO MacGyver ......get a grip
Look at some of this guys posts !

Yet another pretender trying to steal turf in the hopes that he can "play doctor" too. Lets call this obsession with PharmDs what it is: pure envy of doctors. I have seen how much of the PharmD board has posts like "can I script drugs like a real doctor" in the form of the incessant harping on "clinical" pharmacy.

You do realize that your proposal is based on ZERO precedent whatsoever. You are arguing for a wholescale revolution in healthcare delivery and a role for pharmacists that has NEVER existed in the United States or anywhere else.

Just be honest and dont bull**** me. Its not about "patient access" or "improving healthcare" its about artificially bumping up your prestige level so you can call yourself a "doctor" and make more $$$$. Thats all this is about and your attempts to get us to swallow this BS in the form of a "I just want to help patients" bull**** is a fraud and deception that midlevels, psychologists, and now pharmacists are trying to use in their attempts for ill-gotten gains.
"The question is, 'Do I have a God complex?' Which makes me wonder if this... lawyer... has any idea as to the kind of grades one has to receive in college to be accepted at a top medical school. If you have the vaguest clue as to how talented someone has to be to lead a surgical team. I have an M.D. from Harvard. I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery. I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever, sick at sea. So I ask you: When someone goes in to that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry, or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death, or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trauma from post-operative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, you go ahead and read your Bible... Dennis, and you go to your church, and with any luck you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, He was in operating room number two on November seventeenth, and He doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex? Let me tell you something. I am God." - Alec Baldwin as Dr. Jed Hill, from the movie Malice

whatever. after 3,371 posts, you'd think he'd be smart enough to not have to post such meaningless drivel. or maybe he just isn't smart, so he's still hacking away. so a PharmD eh? lol. all bow to the wise one!

move on move on, nothing to see here...

That sounds like great advice but I don't know if it's possible in most cases. Can you really work in the field of optometry without being an optometrist? Work in dentistry without being a dentist? Work in medicine without being a doctor? You see where I'm going with this. I guess you can do job shadowing and whatnot, the only way you can really be in those fields is by going through the education so you can actually do it. And by then, you're either where you want to be or it's too late.

You can work for an optometrist as a tech or optician. I currently work as a tech while in undergrad and I go in the room and scribe for my doc. I am with my pt. from the beginning of the exam to the end. I get to see and here everything the doc does and says. --- Just didn't want someone out there reading thinking they couldn't get some "work" and "hands on" in the field before choosing optometry as a profession!

By the way, I love my job and couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I've worked in the field for 5 yrs - now I know what I want to be when I grow up!:D I just hate it took me so long!

OK, now. That was intelligent. Are you finished? Time to crawl back under your rock.

"You guys have a lot of nerve griping out "underlings" trying to undercut you. You probably were all for the Oklahoma optometrists getting surgery privileges. How does it feel to have someone steal your turf? I hope opticians get script rights in every state and run you out of business."

MacGyver, your comment reveals a lack of knowledge on your part. If you have any understanding about market economy, capitalism, and malthusian economics, (which obviously are beyond your ability to comprehend), you would know that market forces in this country demand that competition occur in every industry including health care. Consumers have the ultimate influence on what providers of services, opthalmologists and optometrists will provide. There are more than enough optometrists to satisfy the market demand for refractionary services (i.e glasses and contacts.) Even in Oklahoma what the AAO considers to be "surgery" still borders on the peripheral aspects of ophthalmic surgery. LASIK , PRK, YAG'S etc....are profoundly affected by technological advancements making them easier to perform and dropping the cost----->again the market affected by technological advancement. I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but if Nurse Practitioners and PA's can be taught do anesthesia and prescribe meds respectively, OD's could be trained to (safely) do procedures like LASIK or YAGs etc. In the near future it is likely that Optometrists will probably be performing procedures like these-->when the cost of the equipment is sufficiently low enough, there is a profit to be earned, and educational training regarding it is included in optometric education. "Real" Ophthalmological surgery will still require a 4-5 year residency and stay in the realm of ophthalmology. Your comment is as ridiculous as me saying," I hope the DNP's (Doctors of Practical Nursing---new degree for nurse practitioners seeking complete autonomy) run Physicians out of business."-----that comment would be absurd. :rolleyes:

Supply and Demand.

Don't worry about Macgyver, hes still sore since I told him I wouldnt trust his simple visual acuity notation let alone his ability to diagnose or treat any eye disorder/disease. Mac, you have some nerve talking about our qualifications, when you are the one who is underqualified to render tx and care to the eye. That's right Mac, you keep playing the numbers, hopefully you wont actually harm someone. Macs post actually reminds me, our competition is not with ophthalmology so much as it is with all of these PCPs, Pedes, PA's, NPs who thinks every red eye is fargin "pink" eye and then proceed to dump 10% sulfacetamide in it. What a joke, I actually dont have a problem if an OMD wants to claim they have superior training with eye surgery and medical training, but I sure as shiit dont have to listen to the ass backward ER doc come on here and try and preach to the choir.

Don't worry about Macgyver, hes still sore since I told him I wouldnt trust his simple visual acuity notation let alone his ability to diagnose or treat any eye disorder/disease. Mac, you have some nerve talking about our qualifications, when you are the one who is underqualified to render tx and care to the eye. That's right Mac, you keep playing the numbers, hopefully you wont actually harm someone. Macs post actually reminds me, our competition is not with ophthalmology so much as it is with all of these PCPs, Pedes, PA's, NPs who thinks every red eye is fargin "pink" eye and then proceed to dump 10% sulfacetamide in it. What a joke, I actually dont have a problem if an OMD wants to claim they have superior training with eye surgery and medical training, but I sure as shiit dont have to listen to the ass backward ER doc come on here and try and preach to the choir.

And yet another thread begins circling the drain.....:thumbdown:

MacGyver,

So you are a PharmD, that is nice but totally unrelated to an optometry board----Are you bitter because you didn't get into medical school? I think that rsaab1234's ER doctor brother should be more concerned about PA's taking over ER medicine? PA's do a great job in the ER. It seems as if it is a numbers game for you ER guys----getting them in and out and consulting EVERY other service (ie surgery, cardiology, GI, etc..) when something beyond simplistic rolls off the EMT's cart......and this according to relatives of mine who are surgeons and complain that ER Physicians (most of them--not all) are a bunch of glorified PA's...This because the PA's can do 90% of what folks like rsaab1234's brother can do. I would trust an optometrist giving my relative oral meds for an ophthalmic condition far and away before an ER doc would touch me in a trauma related emergency. I would just say, "get the trauma surgeon, for the love of god."---if I was able to! When I finish my O.D.degree my business card will say "optometric physician" or whatever I choose to put on it (within the law) with pride. :)

PS: MacGyver, if you really are "MacGyver", shouldn't you take a paper clip, some tin foil, an old soda can, etc....and create a device to save the day? Because all you have created so far is a bunch of bull!!$!!it! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.