Future residency rec letter from non-MD research faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam2012

Reaction score
I've narrowed my potential research for this upcoming post-M1 summer to two labs, and I'm having trouble making a decision. I have a history with lab A, and if I continue there, I'll likely complete a substantial project, get a nice rec letter from an up and coming MD faculty member, and get published. Lab B is in a field related to my past research with lab A, but in a slightly different direction where I would learn new lab techniques and analyze datasets I've never worked with before. I'll likely also complete a project and publication. Looking at the projects alone, I'm slightly more interested in lab B because of all the new exposure I'd get, though I'd be happy in both labs. The only drawbacks to lab B seem to relate to rec letters. Because I don't know the PI of lab B as well, the letter may not be as good, though by residency application time, this might not be an issue. The other issue is that the PI of lab B isn't an MD (just a PhD), and I'm not sure if that's an issue with residency applications. Both projects are translational research, so they're very relevant to medicine.

Am I overthinking the rec letter issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I think In general for your letters for residency you want a doc letter not a PhD, people want to know how you perform clinically. But in terms of research, pick the one you’re most interested in. There are plenty of opportunities to get doctor letters on rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree, you should likely stick with lab A. When it comes to research I don't think the MD vs PhD letter matters, but rather while in theory gaining new techniques is cool, in reality the deliverables are more important as a med student. Don't discount the learning curve when entering a new lab, as no matter what you're promised you should imagine there will be a month or two where you're just figuring things out.