future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how long foreign grads usually have to wait for a residency if they don't match through the matching or scramble process. Do they have to sit out another whole year? I guess if that were to happen, one would work somewhere until a residency became available. I am just very concerned with all these teaching hospitals closing, etc that by the time I graduate (around 2004 probably) the situation may be a lot worse than it is now. Does anybody have any feelings on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly, no one has a cystal ball on this issue. Nevertheless, as one who has been said to be of some value in such maters in the past, I will give here my studied opinion. Again, this is only studied opinion.

This is way over simlified, but with regard to foreign medical graduates, nations tend to fall into the following categories in progressions along lines of degree of their being medically served:

--Those who are highly medically unserved and are very free with regard to FMGs. Such will frequently have standards that are little more than one having graduated from a WHO listed medical school. No residenecy required, internship, usually (e.g., E, W, C, Africa, underdeveloped Asia--Laos, Nam, Cambodia, etc.)

--Those who are quite medically unserved but take FMGs by official agreement only. This isuch as when the nation swaps something with another nation for a batch of FMGs. SA copmes to mind clearly in this vein.

--Those who are adequately served medically but still have mechanisms for anyone who wihes to enter to come in, but in a limited way. The US falls into this category.

--Those who are adequately served medically but still have mechanisms for anyone who wihes to enter to come in, but in a limited way, BUT much preference is given TO THEIR OWN CITIZENS WHO ARE FMGs. Lots of nations in this one.

--Those who are adequately served medically but still have mechanisms for anyone who wihes to enter to come in, but in a limited way, BUT much preference is given to THOSE WHO ARE FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES. Hello United Kingdom.

--Those who are adequately served medically except for pockets, and allow FMGs to come only to those pockets, or at least initially. Down Under!

----Those who are adequately served, at least in the cities. But if you want in YOU MUST GRADUATE FROM THEIR SCHOOLS.

--Those who are adequately served, at least in the cities. But if you want in the message is STAY AWAY.

Now, as for the US, my analysis is that THE US IS DIVIDED over whether to be an FMG culture that favors their own FMG citizens, be one that favors those from other countries, or one with both.

Still, the question is asked, "If spaces become more limited, which group should get most of the boot?" There are fair arguments on both sides, and I have an opinion on which are stronger (will not give it here).

So for now, in this, division can be good.

And it is upon this division of opinon that I base my own best opinion in this which is that LITTLE WILL CHANGE ANYTIME SOON.

But there will come a time when...?

The arguments will continue till...?

[This message has been edited by Stephen Ewen (edited 07-19-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude with the long reply, what are you talking about? Did you do a thesis on world medicine or something?

The person asking was concerned about USA, not Laos and Sierra Leone.

The answer is if you don't match you have to wait a year, obviously, whether American or FMG. Once FMG is ECFMG certified there is no dicrimination, whatever american grads can do they can do, except obviously some programs don't like to accept FMGs

Where are all these hospitals that are closing? The total number of residencies is not going down at all, it's about 24,000-25,000.

Once you have your certificate it's possible to apply year-round to progs such as anesthesia, if they have open spots. Most residencies though start July 1st and you simply have to wait a year. Very simple.

I am responding to what is the poster's larger question about the future of IMGs in the U.S.:
I am just very concerned with all these teaching hospitals closing, etc that by the time I graduate (around 2004 probably) the situation may be a lot worse than it is now. Does anybody have any feelings on this?
So I did give him my feelings on this larger issue.

And yes I have done a thesis on world medicine.