G-town SMP get together???

Started by imrep1972
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imrep1972

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, all. We're T-minus 1 week to orientation. How about we plan a get-together to get to know each other? Enjoy a few frosty, cold ones? Etc?

I'm thinking either next wednesday (10th) the night before orientation, or, if everyone would prefer, the following Friday night.

What does everyone think? What time?
 
imrep1972 said:
Ok, all. We're T-minus 1 week to orientation. How about we plan a get-together to get to know each other? Enjoy a few frosty, cold ones? Etc?

I'm thinking either next wednesday (10th) the night before orientation, or, if everyone would prefer, the following Friday night.

What does everyone think? What time?


Either time works for me! I will be moving in this weekend!
Marcia
 
imrep1972 said:
Ok, all. We're T-minus 1 week to orientation. How about we plan a get-together to get to know each other? Enjoy a few frosty, cold ones? Etc?

I'm thinking either next wednesday (10th) the night before orientation, or, if everyone would prefer, the following Friday night.

What does everyone think? What time?

Wednesday night sounds good.

Is anybody familiar with the area and know a good place for a casual get together like this? I know there are several bars and restaurants in Georgetown itself, but they're kind of expensive from what I've heard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tacrum43 said:
Wednesday night sounds good.

Is anybody familiar with the area and know a good place for a casual get together like this? I know there are several bars and restaurants in Georgetown itself, but they're kind of expensive from what I've heard.

Seems like the former SMP'ers were able to find some inexpensive bars to meet at... maybe one of them would be kind enough to post to this thread where they used to go...
 
jackbnimble said:
How about Rhino's on M Street? Or Garrett's? Both are on M Street and about 1/2 mile from school.

jack

Works for me. What time is good? I'm completely open, I don't know if anyone has any preference for a time to get together. We could go for something relatively early, say 7, if people want to get home early, or we could start at 9 and close the place down 😛
 
imrep1972 said:
Works for me. What time is good? I'm completely open, I don't know if anyone has any preference for a time to get together. We could go for something relatively early, say 7, if people want to get home early, or we could start at 9 and close the place down 😛

Well since we have to be at the orientation at 10am (let us not forget that is 7am West Coast Time), I think meeting earlier at 7pm or so sounds good. I looked up Garrett's and it sounds good, and features American food with a southern influence as well as a bar, well "tavern" as they call it. I couldn't find much about Rhino's, but it sounds more like a bar.

So how many of us are meeting? So far I guess it's just us three? Do you think once we know how many are coming we should try to make a reservation?
 
im in. fooding and drinking sounds great. why dont we do this the night before the planned nite also. haha. no really.


-ed
 
jackbnimble said:
Count me in. I doubt if we need reservations, as the undergrads will not be in town yet. The med students will be in town as their orientation extends through the week.

Does that mean, Garrett's it is? It is about 30th and M Street, fairly close to Wisconsin and M...the major M Street cross street.

jackb

Yes, we are doing Garrett's, Wed night 7pm.

I think there will be more than just the five of us. When I posted this earlier, there seemed to be a lot of interest, it was just too early to plan. I'm thinking that a lot of the new SMP'ers that come to SDN are probably in the process of moving and have limited access right now. We've just got to keep publicizing this, I think.

Next question... how will we recognize each other? Maybe we should all wear huge hats? (kidding).
 
people that show up yell, "ka-kaaaa."

those already present will reply, "tookie tookie tookie..."


did ANYbody get that reference?
 
eddaman said:
people that show up yell, "ka-kaaaa."

those already present will reply, "tookie tookie tookie..."


did ANYbody get that reference?

I'm getting it, but I'm blanking on where I'm getting it from... I can hear it in my head, but for the life of me can't remember where.
 
Funny Guy #1

"Ca-Caaaw! Ca-Caaaw! Tookie Tookie Tookie Tookie..."



Funny Guy #2

"I think we've already established that Ca-Caw and Tookie Tookie doesn't work."
 
Hey everyone!

Okay guess I got beaten to this idea! Defintely count me in!

2 questions...

1. outside of the 'Ca-Caw and Tookie Tookie' idea, how are we gonna meet in the bar? is there like a certain section that everyone's going to be? I just have this feeling that I am gonna go up to somebody to ask them if they are in the SMP and they are gonna mistake it for a pickup line and then I'll get slapped with my luck 😀 :hardy:

2. i've been in DC for a week and i'm bored out of mind because i don't know anyone yet...anyone want to meet up b4 then maybe on campus at that coffee place in the leavy center (uncommon grounds i think)?

anyhow if anyone's interested i guess just drop a post or IM (AIM = Ni5hit)...i'm practically spending half my day around there trying to kill time! i look foward to meeting all of you soon!

~Ni5hit (SDN seems to like to **** out half my name if i don't use '5' 😛 )
 
imrep1972 said:
Seems like the former SMP'ers were able to find some inexpensive bars to meet at... maybe one of them would be kind enough to post to this thread where they used to go...

We used to meet up at Club Dahlgren. 3900 Reservoir Rd.
 
ni5hit said:
Hey everyone!

Okay guess I got beaten to this idea! Defintely count me in!

2 questions...

1. outside of the 'Ca-Caw and Tookie Tookie' idea, how are we gonna meet in the bar? is there like a certain section that everyone's going to be? I just have this feeling that I am gonna go up to somebody to ask them if they are in the SMP and they are gonna mistake it for a pickup line and then I'll get slapped with my luck 😀 :hardy:

2. i've been in DC for a week and i'm bored out of mind because i don't know anyone yet...anyone want to meet up b4 then maybe on campus at that coffee place in the leavy center (uncommon grounds i think)?

anyhow if anyone's interested i guess just drop a post...i'm practically spending half my day around there trying to kill time! i look foward to meeting all of you soon!

~Ni5hit (SDN seems to like to **** out half my name if i don't use '5' 😛 )

Ni**** 😛

without knowing the layout of the place, it will be hard to pick out a specific location. I too am now in DC. I wouldn't mind getting together sometime to hang. Maybe we should pick a day/night and scout this place out ahead of time?

BTW - did you already finish all your secondaries? Damn!!! I'm impressed 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sweet, lets do it. im sick of sitting here avoiding secondaries anyweeey.

message me on AIM: vipered 000
 
garrett's, wed nite, 7pm. sending to the email list.

hope i dont get 150 replies for me to not spam people...

some people can get SO TESTY about emails...
 
just so yall know, 23 (20 + roommates, girlfriends, etc) people have replied saying that they are going and 3 said that they will not.

where the hell are the other 127? check ur email people.
 
eddaman said:
garrett's, wed nite, 7pm. sending to the email list.

hope i dont get 150 replies for me to not spam people...

some people can get SO TESTY about emails...

Ok, so Ed and I checked out Garrett's - we have reserved a room to meet in. When you get there, go upstairs and to your right. That's where we will be. Julie (an owner) has agreed to give us happy hour pricing from 7-9. That means half price appetizers and cheap drinks!!! What more do you need????

Please try and respond to Eddaman's email and RSVP, so we can give Garrett's a fairly accurate headcount. Thanks!!!
 
imrep1972 said:
Ok, so Ed and I checked out Garrett's - we have reserved a room to meet in. When you get there, go upstairs and to your right. That's where we will be. Julie (an owner) has agreed to give us happy hour pricing from 7-9. That means half price appetizers and cheap drinks!!! What more do you need????

Please try and respond to Eddaman's email and RSVP, so we can give Garrett's a fairly accurate headcount. Thanks!!!

Awesome. I just got to DC on Saturday night. Man is it hot and humid here! But otherwise good. I'm still working on moving in and secondaries, but I'll see you guys there on Wednesday.

I'll be the giant echidna. 😉
 
tacrum43 said:
Awesome. I just got to DC on Saturday night. Man is it hot and humid here! But otherwise good. I'm still working on moving in and secondaries, but I'll see you guys there on Wednesday.

I'll be the giant echidna. 😉

I'm looking forward to meeting you in person... I've always wanted to see an echidna.
 
Hmmmmmm, isn't it 2 dollar Ice House night at Mr. Smiths on M? It's been so long since GT. Have a good time all, party it up now.
 
hey all,

Sorry I missed out tonight. I was planning on coming , but I was also planning on being fully moved in to my apartment at noon today... however, that was not to be. It's 11 pm and I'm still trying to fix everything the movers screwed up, so I hope everyone had a great time and I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Okay, really neurotic question here, but is there any specific dress for orientation? I always screw this stuff up, don't wanna show up in a tshirt and jeans for a tie affair. Oh well, enjoy all.
 
Timmythemic22 said:
hey all,

Sorry I missed out tonight. I was planning on coming , but I was also planning on being fully moved in to my apartment at noon today... however, that was not to be. It's 11 pm and I'm still trying to fix everything the movers screwed up, so I hope everyone had a great time and I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Okay, really neurotic question here, but is there any specific dress for orientation? I always screw this stuff up, don't wanna show up in a tshirt and jeans for a tie affair. Oh well, enjoy all.

Timmy, sorry we missed you. There were probably 70 or so people there last night - looked like everyone had a good time. I hope you have been able to get everything fixed.

I don't believe there is any specific dress code for the orientation or for class for that matter. Personally, I am taking to heart what Dr. Myers said once: "this is a year-long interview." So I am going to be a little more dressy than I might usually (which is typically california beach bum 🙂 ) but I'm not coming in a suit or anything like that.
 
Can someone tell me the average MCAT, GRE and GPA for Gtown SMP? I really would like to be part of next year's class, and am wondering if I am a qualified candidate. I am taking this year off to do reasearch in Neural Imaging at UCLA and am plannng to take the MCAT in April. I know they say that it is not a problem, but it is my first time taking the exam, and I wouldnt want to ruin my chances of Gtown SMP admission because of my incoming MCAT. DO you think it might be wiser for me to take the GRE as well? Thank you!
 
LilMango said:
Can someone tell me the average MCAT, GRE and GPA for Gtown SMP? I really would like to be part of next year's class, and am wondering if I am a qualified candidate. I am taking this year off to do reasearch in Neural Imaging at UCLA and am plannng to take the MCAT in April. I know they say that it is not a problem, but it is my first time taking the exam, and I wouldnt want to ruin my chances of Gtown SMP admission because of my incoming MCAT. DO you think it might be wiser for me to take the GRE as well? Thank you!

For this year's class, we were told that our average stats were the highest in the history of the program. We had a 3.3 GPA and a 30 MCAT.

That being said, there are plenty of exceptions of high GPA/low MCAT and vice versa.

I would recommend you go to the "physios" group on yahoo groups and ask your question about the GRE. Dr. Myers, the program director checks often and usually answers questions like that within a day. If I were you, I would also post your stats (GPA, what you expect to do on the MCAT, etc) and he can let you know how competitive you would be.

Good luck!
 
Just wondering, what other programs did you guys who were accepted to Gtown SMP also apply to? I think Gtown SMP would be ideal for me, the only prob is that I havent taken my MCATs yet and am not planning on taking them until april.

I am going to apply to Gtown, but what other similar pgorams are there out there? (that take one year). Thanks!
 
LilMango said:
Just wondering, what other programs did you guys who were accepted to Gtown SMP also apply to? I think Gtown SMP would be ideal for me, the only prob is that I havent taken my MCATs yet and am not planning on taking them until april.

I am going to apply to Gtown, but what other similar pgorams are there out there? (that take one year). Thanks!

Rosalind Franklin's program is probably the most similar, and only takes one year. It costs more though and the students usually only get into Rosalind Franklin's Chicago Med School (not that there's anything wrong with it; their match list looks good to me), but it also much more of a sure thing.

Drexel has a program too, but I think it might take longer. EVMS has a program as well, but I'm not sure of the details.
 
how's everything going for you guys who started the physio program last week? i remember our first week seemed like it lasted forever last year. then, after that, the weeks flew by. it's pretty crazy. anyway, i hope things are going well. tgood luck, have fun. 👍
 
medstylee said:
how's everything going for you guys who started the physio program last week? i remember our first week seemed like it lasted forever last year. then, after that, the weeks flew by. it's pretty crazy. anyway, i hope things are going well. tgood luck, have fun. 👍

Wow, medstylee, you just described how I'm feeling in a nutshell. This first week really seemed to drag on. I thought the weekend would never come. Now, the weekend is over and I have NO clue where the time went.

I was also noticing today: Last year at this time I was completely obsessing over interviews and whether I would get any and where. This week, I honestly haven't thought about them once.

BTW, where did you wind up this year? Are you in medschool? If you are, how's that going for you, and do you see a big difference between yourself and the other med students after a year of SMP?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
imrep1972 said:
Wow, medstylee, you just described how I'm feeling in a nutshell. This first week really seemed to drag on. I thought the weekend would never come. Now, the weekend is over and I have NO clue where the time went.

I was also noticing today: Last year at this time I was completely obsessing over interviews and whether I would get any and where. This week, I honestly haven't thought about them once.

BTW, where did you wind up this year? Are you in medschool? If you are, how's that going for you, and do you see a big difference between yourself and the other med students after a year of SMP?

glad to hear things are going well and that interviews are far from your mind. i had 3 last year and the first wasn't even until february. other people get invites before spring semester. so, don't let the timing phase you.

i didn't get in anywhere this past cycle, unfortunately. i had a few interviews, including georgetown med, but no dice. i think smp made my app much stronger for this year, though. i already have an interview set up at gw on one of their first days. we'll see how it goes. maybe i'll unknowingly meet some of you guys at interviews. good luck with everything.