ga-pcom financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA Girl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Was wondering if someone could PM on their experience with GA-PCOM's financial aid. Do you know when the letter comes? Was the FAFSA code the same as PCOM's? Also. I was wondering how much they usually give for the subsidized stafford.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It is all done through Philly as is most of everything that needs any kind of approval! Are you talking about an award letter? It depends on how fast you sent in your info ( I think). FAFSA code is still the same as Philly's from what I have been told this year. You can take up to $8,500 in Subsidized. Hope this helps!

B-

GA Girl said:
Hi,
Was wondering if someone could PM on their experience with GA-PCOM's financial aid. Do you know when the letter comes? Was the FAFSA code the same as PCOM's? Also. I was wondering how much they usually give for the subsidized stafford.

Thanks

GA Girl said:
Hi,

Thanks

I filed my FAFSA about 2-3 months ago and still have yet to receive an award letter. I want to call the FinAid office but by the time I get off from work they're closed.

Has anyone else tried calling?

Members don't see this ad :)
HooahDOc said:
I filed my FAFSA about 2-3 months ago and still have yet to receive an award letter. I want to call the FinAid office but by the time I get off from work they're closed.

Has anyone else tried calling?

I spoke with the fin aid rep from Philly on the 16th at the workshop. She said that many award letters had already been sent out (about 1000), but about 85 or so people did not receive them, and should get something by July. I inferred from her demeanor that the Philly students had been taken care of and that I, a Georgia student, was not a priority. She did not even want my name, she just said that she had a "way of figuring out" who had not yet received one.

[ I inferred from her demeanor that the Philly students had been taken care of and that I, a Georgia student, was not a priority. She did not even want my name, she just said that she had a "way of figuring out" who had not yet received one.[/QUOTE]

Highlighting the problem with being an extension site. Hopefully over time we will be able to stand on our own more for the sake of GA students.

Zerosixjt said:
[ I inferred from her demeanor that the Philly students had been taken care of and that I, a Georgia student, was not a priority. She did not even want my name, she just said that she had a "way of figuring out" who had not yet received one.

Highlighting the problem with being an extension site. Hopefully over time we will be able to stand on our own more for the sake of GA students.[/QUOTE]

Any 2009 students have any comments about this? or can any one of you share your experiences from last year? I'm concerned about this. (that nobody has received their packages)

I say just chill out for a bit-unfortunately, it seems the Philly people are taken care of before us in Georgia, so they are probably just running a bit behind. I don't think I got my letter before July last year, so I would just look for it soon. But don't be afraid to harrass those in Philly to find out information-maybe it will help them get their act together a bit more. Things have gotten a good bit better than they were for us first years, but remember-the school is still only going to be in its second year, so things may be a bit slow...Anyway, enjoy the rest of summer and let me know if you have any more questions.

Do you know if GA students qualify for the scholarships listed on the web-site, or are they for Philly students only?

Zerosixjt said:
Do you know if GA students qualify for the scholarships listed on the web-site, or are they for Philly students only?

I dunno about all of the listed ones, but I know that a few of us received various scholarships mentioned on the website - so we definitily are qualified for some of them. Also, students who are residents of SC got some money from what I understand (some scholarship fund set up by a PCOM graduate from SC).

As for financial aid, I persoanlly have not had any issues yet, but they are indeed slow about some stuff. Just keep calling and buggng them.

Does anyone have any info about the financial aid advance? I read somewhere we can get a maximum of $1,000 to help cover some expenses. Unfortunately, I forget where I read this.

Yeah I am one of the lucky students from SC that got the scholarship from PCOM, but I also know that a few of my good friends got other types of scholarships, varying in amounts from $1000-$5000. So, we definitely qualify for them, and no one that I know of applied for them or anything. Every bit helps!

premedtiger said:
Yeah I am one of the lucky students from SC that got the scholarship from PCOM, but I also know that a few of my good friends got other types of scholarships, varying in amounts from $1000-$5000. So, we definitely qualify for them, and no one that I know of applied for them or anything. Every bit helps!

So when did you receive your FA letter?

HooahDOc said:

Well I am a second year, so I got it in May sometime. I am sure the first year's award letters will be sent out soon-So relax and go enjoy your last bit of free time for a while-You won't be sorry come August :)

Yeah you guys should def. chill out. If you start stressing about stuff like this now, it will snowball and you will want to rip your hair out by December break! Just remember if they don't give you the max then they ain't gettin tuition, so you can be sure that they will be on top of it when the time comes. Unless you are inheriting some insane fortune, you should prob. just assume that you got the maximum amount of stafford loans available. I know it is nice to see it in black and white, but get used to the waiting game.... for FA, exam grades, exams themselves, professors... it's all part of the game of hoops.....keep jumpin thru em

B-

HooahDOc said:

Heads up guys!

Check banner on nucleus. My awards are listed on there as of today. Apparently they still have not received stuff from the Army, as it says I am awarded $38,500

Any of my fellow 2009ers change to Nelnet for this year? Or are any of the newbies picking Nelnet as their overseer? I am having a heck of a time trying to switch because everybody is confused about the GA/Philly thing since FA is processed thru Philly.

B-

BMW19 said:
Any of my fellow 2009ers change to Nelnet for this year? Or are any of the newbies picking Nelnet as their lender? I am having a heck of a time trying to switch because everybody is confused about the GA/Philly thing since FA is processed thru Philly.

B-
I am just curious as to why you would pick Nelnet as your lender when PCOM as lender charges no fees. Are you talking about Stafford lenders or private Grad plus lenders? I am just interested in case you have info that could help me.

BMW19 said:
Any of my fellow 2009ers change to Nelnet for this year? Or are any of the newbies picking Nelnet as their lender? I am having a heck of a time trying to switch because everybody is confused about the GA/Philly thing since FA is processed thru Philly.

B-

Nelnet was my pvt loan provider for last year, I had no problems of Philly vs GA. I'm going to consolidate with them too. Just give them the philly school code, everything else should fall into place.

Max,

FA can be confusing. PCOM itself is not a "lender" per say. I should have used the term overseer above which I edited so people won't be confused. Banks are lenders i.e. Bank of America, Wachovia etc. PCOM works with some of these banks and endorses them. It would be conflict of interest for PCOM to directly give you money. I am referring to Stafford loans. The lender is the one that fronts the $. However, you also have overseers of the loan process. This is where Nelnet comes in and AES who I have now. I have found AES to be very un-helpful in the whole process of FA. My wife has Nelnet from her Master's loans and they have been great. Hence me wanting to switch to Nelnet as my overseer. However, first they told Nelnet to use the new GA-PCOM code and when they tried to do that, Philly said "no that is wrong" use the philly code. Hence the usual confusion when Philly will not let go of the leash.

BMW-

max831 said:
I am just curious as to why you would pick Nelnet as your lender when PCOM as lender charges no fees. Are you talking about Stafford lenders or private Grad plus lenders? I am just interested in case you have info that could help me.