Ga-PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvt27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have considered GA-PCOM:

I have been excepted and would love to attend a school in Atlanta, but was concerned about being the first class at GAPCOM. Do you guys see any disadvantages to that or do you think its okay? Also, the school is not yet accredited. What do you guys think about this? I just don't feel too secure and am very confused because I'd love to stay in Atlanta.

Any help and clarification is welcomed. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

pvt27 said:

I have been excepted and would love to attend a school in Atlanta, but was concerned about being the first class at GAPCOM. Do you guys see any disadvantages to that or do you think its okay? Also, the school is not yet accredited. What do you guys think about this? I just don't feel too secure and am very confused because I'd love to stay in Atlanta.

I'm sure it will be accredited... no worry there. The main goal for me is to study somewhere convenient and close...

good luck. go for GAPCOM

pvt27 said:

The disadvantage of being the first class is BEING THE FIRST CLASS. I look at that as being an advantage though. I was also accepted and am attending in the fall and could not be more excited. Since we are the first class, much of the accreditation depends on our success and performance on the boards. They are going to make sure at all costs that we have high marks on the boards. Full accreditation cannot be awarded until they graduate the first class. Really and truly, unless something goes terribly wrong, they should be awarded accreditation upon our graduation.

Also, as the first class we are going to provide a great deal of input for the future of the school i.e., curriculum, clinicals, standardized patients, clubs, etc. It's a great opportunity to be a trailblazer. Personally, as a Georgia resident, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to be a charter member of the first osteopathic medical school in Georgia. :thumbup:

Having said that, if you don't feel as though you can reconcile any insecurity or fear that you have about the school, you probably shouldn't attend. That is to say that, medical school is going to be stressful enough; you wouldn't want to spend the next four years worrying about issues like accreditation when you should be focusing on school.

Again, I don't think we'll have to worry about things like accreditation and the like. Mama PCOM in Philly has a prestigious reputation in the field of medicine and the type of graduates she produces, they aren't going to let anything happen to us. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
From my interview at PCOM-GA, I really felt like the dean and the faculty knew what they were doing. We (students) are their primary focus and I would be willing to bet that the first batch of students gets extra special treatment.

Of course, the new building will have its glitches and so on, but other than that, I expect the faculty and staff to hit the ground running come August. This interview was the most comfortable and relaxing one I have had (I've had 3 DO interviews, and 12 MD interviews, and 3 PhD interviews), so that's saying something.

The thought of being a new school could be scary. But as a second campus of a major player, with highly regarded professional staff, top notch facilities, financially secure, and on a mission to perform. That sounds great to me.

The test file access might be slim. Accrediting is a non-issue, only a formality with sequential hoops for the administrators.

Something else that might be a huge benefit. Residency Programs lean heavily upon their own graduates. Some might say there exists an in-house bias for residency positions. Maybe the audition rotations are easier, whatever. The point is that GA-PCOM students and graduates will unparalleled opportunities for rotations and residency positions in multiple locations.

What's the dummy's name? STAN or something? (Very cool patient simulators)