GA school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if distaste for idpt learning, tuition, and desire for competition trump what Mercer has to offer, I say go to MCG.

I will be attending MCG. I spoke with several physicians (some Mercer grads) who all said consider the money. It's great to talk about how it's not a big factor, but for me it plays a large part. I'm older than most students, I have a wife and three children, I went to a private PA school (thus, almost 70K left in loans from PA school), and I want to retire before I'm eighty. I have a friend who went to Med school at a later age, and she just paid her loans off two years ago. She is now ready to retire. I don't want that to be me. I will have to take the max loans for living expense....so tuition is the only thing that can be cut.

As for the competition and indepth learning....I will do the best I can and not worry about what others do. Also, I think the med experience is what you make of it. While I was in PA school I rotated with Mercer and MCG students on the wards. Some were "smarter" than others...better at thinking things through, etc. I don't believe the training of either really made the individual student more adept/intuitive. I think either school will offer a quality education, just use different methods to arrive at the same goal. I haven't seen anything pointing to one school having significantly better board scores or grads being drastically better prepared for residency. A lot of med school (at least from what I observed/participated in as a PA student) was what the individual student made of it. If you are lazy and slack off, you may get by with it for a while, but you will suffer in the end. Hopefully, I will be happy at MCG, and I wish all the Mercer students the best. I would love to stay in Savannah, and if I receive a 25K/year scholarship by Monday to go to Mercer....I will be overjoyed. Otherwise, I'll just have to suck it up and move to Augusta. I trained at Memorial in Savannah while in PA school so it would be great to stay, but in the end I just don't want the added debt.

Goodluck to all, and I hope one of our SDN friends get an acceptance soon.:luck:[/QUOTE]

Good luck to you dude.

And congrats on the additional acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending MCG. I spoke with several physicians (some Mercer grads) who all said consider the money. It's great to talk about how it's not a big factor, but for me it plays a large part. I'm older than most students, I have a wife and three children, I went to a private PA school (thus, almost 70K left in loans from PA school), and I want to retire before I'm eighty. I have a friend who went to Med school at a later age, and she just paid her loans off two years ago. She is now ready to retire. I don't want that to be me. I will have to take the max loans for living expense....so tuition is the only thing that can be cut.

As for the competition and indepth learning....I will do the best I can and not worry about what others do. Also, I think the med experience is what you make of it. While I was in PA school I rotated with Mercer and MCG students on the wards. Some were "smarter" than others...better at thinking things through, etc. I don't believe the training of either really made the individual student more adept/intuitive. I think either school will offer a quality education, just use different methods to arrive at the same goal. I haven't seen anything pointing to one school having significantly better board scores or grads being drastically better prepared for residency. A lot of med school (at least from what I observed/participated in as a PA student) was what the individual student made of it. If you are lazy and slack off, you may get by with it for a while, but you will suffer in the end. Hopefully, I will be happy at MCG, and I wish all the Mercer students the best. I would love to stay in Savannah, and if I receive a 25K/year scholarship by Monday to go to Mercer....I will be overjoyed. Otherwise, I'll just have to suck it up and move to Augusta. I trained at Memorial in Savannah while in PA school so it would be great to stay, but in the end I just don't want the added debt.

Goodluck to all, and I hope one of our SDN friends get an acceptance soon.:luck:

Good luck to you dude.

And congrats on the additional acceptance.[/QUOTE]

This year's class at MCG had a student who had 3 kids. I think he was 37.

My daughter went through a rotation in her fourth year with a 60 year old resident.

You have a difficult but obtainable goal. Good luck.

Good luck to you dude.

And congrats on the additional acceptance.

This year's class at MCG had a student who had 3 kids. I think he was 37.

My daughter went through a rotation in her fourth year with a 60 year old resident.

You have a difficult but obtainable goal. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks, Now if I could only sell my house. Any Mercer students want to invest...I'll make a good deal. I'm going to sell it for at least 20-25K below appaisal, so I can unload it faster. I have a couple of people who have asked about it from work, but if anyone want info I'll be glad to share (haha). I live in Rincon, GA(effingham county) which is about 20 miles from Memorial hospital. The schools are great here so few people use a private school in this county. I live on a golf course, nice neighborhood, community amenities (pool, clubhouse, lake, tennis courts, etc.), low taxes, low crime/safe, etc. This would be a great investment for someone. It has 3-4Br(Finished bonus room over garage), two baths, two car garage, fence, sprinkler system, lots of upgrades. You could easily have four students live in this house with no problem. Anyone want more info PM me.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Make me HAPPY MCG!

Nah, not yet. I'm still don't know what I'm going to do. Got accepted to a few carib schools. Waiting on a few master's in sci progs. So confused... wish MCG would call and settle things for me!

Nah, not yet. I'm still don't know what I'm going to do. Got accepted to a few carib schools. Waiting on a few master's in sci progs. So confused... wish MCG would call and settle things for me!

Which Carib schools? I too was waitlisted at MCG, and I haven't heard a thing. I am reapplying ED, but I can't figure out if I should also apply DO or just go to the Carib school I have already been accepted to. So many life changing decisions!

Consider what specialty you see yourself in. If primary care is your thing then you shouldnt have a problem in the carib., but If you want a more competitive specialty like derm, ortho, rads, gas, etc. than you are better off as a DO. Personally I favor primary care.

Anybody else get the gay email from Emory saying the secondary won't be ready until late august? Oh well, I suppose that is just more time for other secondaries, I just don't want to be burnt out when I'm filling Emory's out bc it is one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, any regular decision people getting a secondary from MCG yet? I had a friend say a friend already got one so im just curious. I recieved the initial email from them July 3rd.

I'm applying for jobs right now. If I apply again, it'll be 2010 cycle.

MCG...how am I supposed to get a letter now from an academic advisor? I wish I had known before. I've talked to mine twice, both times for under 10 minutes, and that was only because it was a requirement before selecting classes.

And no, I have no secondary yet.

Consider what specialty you see yourself in. If primary care is your thing then you shouldnt have a problem in the carib., but If you want a more competitive specialty like derm, ortho, rads, gas, etc. than you are better off as a DO. Personally I favor primary care.

What do you recommend if I am interested in OB/GYN?

I wouldn't go to the carib until I applied to US schools 2 or 3 times. That is just me though.

I wouldn't go to the carib until I applied to US schools 2 or 3 times. That is just me though.

That is a touchy subject. Suffice it to say, if you are young, still in college, and don't know for sure what you want to practice in (this description fits most) then you should definately apply again. If this isn't you, then you will have to weigh the pros/cons yourself.

And note that I said SGU. That is the only carib school that I would feel comfortable attending.

MCG...how am I supposed to get a letter now from an academic advisor? I wish I had known before. I've talked to mine twice, both times for under 10 minutes, and that was only because it was a requirement before selecting classes.

And no, I have no secondary yet.

So you don't have a pre-med committee? If you answer no to both that, and the academic adviser, then you better start mingling with them.

Also, any regular decision people getting a secondary from MCG yet? I had a friend say a friend already got one so im just curious. I recieved the initial email from them July 3rd.

In one of my e-mail messages from MCG, I think it said the regular decision secondaries wouldn't go out until August. I submitted my early app on the first day, and received the secondary via e-mail around June 28. I'm pretty sure it said the regular forms wouldn't come until August.

I just got off the waiting list at MCG!!!!

By the way, it really hopes to apply early admission (something I didn't do).

In one of my e-mail messages from MCG, I think it said the regular decision secondaries wouldn't go out until August. I submitted my early app on the first day, and received the secondary via e-mail around June 28. I'm pretty sure it said the regular forms wouldn't come until August.

I was told the same thing by the admissions office in regards to the normal applicants

I just got off the waiting list at MCG!!!!

By the way, it really hopes to apply early admission (something I didn't do).

I'm on waitlist at MCG too.

can u post ur stats for me to make my own prediction?

thank you

Hi all. I have been watching all the confused posts for a while now and haven't posted in a couple months and thought it was time to put my 2 cents in.

I would also wait on the Caribbean school ... in fact I have done that (declined Ross and deferred my SGU acceptance to Jan.). I will have a decision for ED in October - if accepted= Great, if not = here I come SGU.

I will not apply for a third year. The reality is this (because I asked the admissions directors), if you do not get accepted for ED, do not plan on being accepted in regular decision! Last year ZERO applicants were accepted at Mercer and only a couple made it at MCG after being denied admission during ED. Sound Grim? Yes it does!!!

As for the DO vs Caribbean MD??? Everyone has their own opinion. I prefer the MD route no matter where it is. You are not going to have a better chance at derm in either case. If ortho was your desired specialty, then DOs have the edge because there are a LOT more osteopathic ortho residencies. In fact, I believe the last time I looked, Philadelphia College (DO program here in Georgia) had about 28 residency slots for ortho. Almost 4 times more than MCG and Mercer combined.

My point is that it is all about preference. My friend has two uncles practicing medicine here in Georgia. One OB/GYN and the other an optometrist. Both went to SGU! Neither one has ever been asked where they went to medical school. So I am content in knowing that if I don't make it this year that I will be just fine in the long run -but I am not gunning for an unrealistic residency in Derm either! For those that are, I have a scary statistic for you - I spoke with a UC Medicine professor while at the airport in May. She said that the school conducted a survey for top choice in residency - over 90% chose dermatology. There were more med students at a single school gunning for derm than there are spots nation-wide. Add the rest of the country and you get a ridiculously competitive field. I guess that huge salary without the call is very attractive. So much for their students wanting to practice medicine to actually care for people for the sake of humanity. Clearly, their admissions process has failed to produce a diversified population (one lacking a silver spoon). That survey should send a message to their admissions committee that reads - "We are all about the Benjamin's!" Good luck with that.

I would just be happy to get in, get done, and treat people. At this point I really don't care where. The steady pay check would be nice eventually though! Student loans suck. I had to go to Grad School just so that I could defer student loans another year. I am sure some of you know exactly what I am talking about.

I am in agreement with the guy who post the comment "I'm sorry to inform you that I have declined your rejection and will be attending your medical school this year."

Done venting. Who's next?

Last edited:
...The reality is this (because I asked the admissions directors), if you do not get accepted for ED, do not plan on being accepted in regular decision! Last year ZERO applicants were accepted at Mercer and only a couple made it at MCG after being denied admission during ED. Sound Grim? Yes it does!!!

How did you find out the number of people who went on from ED to get accepted; to what dean of admissions did you talk to?

I enjoyed your post. Where did you end up applying this year?

So much for their students wanting to practice medicine to actually care for people for the sake of humanity.

Hey now, what about skin cancer? Let's not forget the lessons that Jerry Seinfeld taught us. :D

Does anyone know when the absolute last day is that we could hear from MCG about coming off the alt. list?

How did you find out the number of people who went on from ED to get accepted; to what dean of admissions did you talk to?

I enjoyed your post. Where did you end up applying this year?

I met with the Dean. Both Mercer and MCG.

I am applying ED to Mercer. Last year I applied regular decision (huge mistake). Although I interviewed, I didn't get in. Mercer is close to home and I am SERIOUSLY worried about trying to sell my house in this market. I have houses in my neighborhood that have been on the market for two years. Not good. It would be a huge benefit if I could attend med school without having to sell.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the absolute last day is that we could hear from MCG about coming off the alt. list?

My physician buddy told me that he went to school with a guy that was taken off the list The Day Before classes began. The guy had given up hope and was in shock when the news came, but also happy as a woodpecker in saw mill.

That is a rare case, but it does happen. If someone leaves for some reason, they are going to try to fill the slot.

I called earlier in the summer and the woman I spoke to said "the first week of August."

Hi all. I have been watching all the confused posts for a while now and haven't posted in a couple months and thought it was time to put my 2 cents in.

I would also wait on the Caribbean school ... in fact I have done that (declined Ross and deferred my SGU acceptance to Jan.). I will have a decision for ED in October - if accepted= Great, if not = here I come SGU.

I will not apply for a third year. The reality is this (because I asked the admissions directors), if you do not get accepted for ED, do not plan on being accepted in regular decision! Last year ZERO applicants were accepted at Mercer and only a couple made it at MCG after being denied admission during ED. Sound Grim? Yes it does!!!

As for the DO vs Caribbean MD??? Everyone has their own opinion. I prefer the MD route no matter where it is. You are not going to have a better chance at derm in either case. If ortho was your desired specialty, then DOs have the edge because there are a LOT more osteopathic ortho residencies. In fact, I believe the last time I looked, Philadelphia College (DO program here in Georgia) had about 28 residency slots for ortho. Almost 4 times more than MCG and Mercer combined.

My point is that it is all about preference. My friend has two uncles practicing medicine here in Georgia. One OB/GYN and the other an optometrist. Both went to SGU! Neither one has ever been asked where they went to medical school. So I am content in knowing that if I don't make it this year that I will be just fine in the long run -but I am not gunning for an unrealistic residency in Derm either! For those that are, I have a scary statistic for you - I spoke with a UC Medicine professor while at the airport in May. She said that the school conducted a survey for top choice in residency - over 90% chose dermatology. There were more med students at a single school gunning for derm than there are spots nation-wide. Add the rest of the country and you get a ridiculously competitive field. I guess that huge salary without the call is very attractive. So much for their students wanting to practice medicine to actually care for people for the sake of humanity. Clearly, their admissions process has failed to produce a diversified population (one lacking a silver spoon). That survey should send a message to their admissions committee that reads - "We are all about the Benjamin's!" Good luck with that.

I would just be happy to get in, get done, and treat people. At this point I really don't care where. The steady pay check would be nice eventually though! Student loans suck. I had to go to Grad School just so that I could defer student loans another year. I am sure some of you know exactly what I am talking about.

I am in agreement with the guy who post the comment "I'm sorry to inform you that I have declined your rejection and will be attending your medical school this year."

How does PCOM have 28 ortho spots for residency when they haven't even graduated a class yet?

The rest of your post is sour grapes...

1st year book list?
Did MCG students review the book list sent out for 1st year? Is there any upperclassmen who could give recommendations on what is really essential vs not really needed? Some of the books are not rated too high on some reviews I've read. Ex: Embryology book--Langman's was rated much higher on almost all recommendations that I've read....I need someone with experience to direct me.

Thanks

p.s. sorry for the repost/posted in class thread with no response

anybody like me wishing for seat to open up at MCG?

V is reapplying regular admissions and MDPride is going to GA-PCOM.. I think....

V is reapplying regular admissions and MDPride is going to GA-PCOM.. I think....

Good luck V

MDPride-congrats. I'll look you up in the next year if this cycle doesn't go better for me!

Question: for reapps, is anyone contacting the docs that interviewed them/that they may have met at MCG/Mercer?

A doc recomended that I send what amounts to an 'update' letter the the people that interviewed me. I wanted to see if this was something people did...

I connected really well with my interviewers and both expressed to me that they wanted to see me at the school, so...?

How does PCOM have 28 ortho spots for residency when they haven't even graduated a class yet?

The rest of your post is sour grapes...

Because thats what their website said from their Philadelphia Campus... thus the name. Atlanta is their 2nd site.

Have any EDP MCG people received interviews?