GA school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea he said the same thing to me. Pretty depressing news....

Members don't see this ad.

***Sigh***

So uh, in that financial aid seminar letter, it says that you should bring your spouse, parents, etc.

Well, I'm 28 years old and my mother will be coming with me.

She is adamant that I let her come with me, and she will talk to every single one of you guys.

Anyone else bringing their parents or am I the only one?

Yeah my Dad is coming with me. I would be lost without him, finances really are not my thing, so I will be turning to him to see if the interest rate is good and stuff, lol. It is cool though, me and my parents are like best friends. I would have never made it through this process without their help and advice. I am just happy they care enough about me to help me go through all this. But let not your heart be troubled, although
we might be the only two, lol.

***Sigh***

So uh, in that financial aid seminar letter, it says that you should bring your spouse, parents, etc.

Well, I'm 28 years old and my mother will be coming with me.

She is adamant that I let her come with me, and she will talk to every single one of you guys.

Anyone else bringing their parents or am I the only one?

Well, I have to force my parents to go. I want my Dad to go to help me understand the finances as well, although he said he'd probably get it in less than 2 hours and want to leave. ha. My Mom said she didn't want to go but would if I wanted her to. Gee, thanks for the support!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have to force my parents to go. I want my Dad to go to help me understand the finances as well, although he said he'd probably get it in less than 2 hours and want to leave. ha. My Mom said she didn't want to go but would if I wanted her to. Gee, thanks for the support!

Hate to tell you, but you're not going to learn much you don't know: medical school is really expensive, Mercer is especially expensive; fortunately, you can take out enough loans to cover tuition and to live on for a year.

Seriously, any school who is approved to loan money from the federal government is required to make you attend one of these. You'll attend another one when you graduate. That little quiz you have to take is part of all this. You'll spend little time listening to Mercer financial aid talk to you. Most of the day is dedicated to the Army, Navy, Air Force, and National Guard talk about their scholarships. They'll also talk about the Country Doc program and several others. You'll also get your big binder with your award amount and a bunch of other stuff. The best part of the day is breakfast, lunch, and meeting your classmates. Also, since you're actually attending, you should ask some of the second years to give you the "behind the scenes" tour. They'll take you into the anatomy lab.

Yea he said the same thing to me. Pretty depressing news....

I was told that there are two big movements for acceptances. One falls right after the May 15th date. The other one is during the first/second week of June. After that, it's hit or miss and they don't expect much movement.

At this point in time, schools know if you are holding multiple acceptances and they will have already "pressured" you into making a decision.

Looks like EDP 09' for me. I submitted it last night.

Mine was submitted last night and it is complete today! Talk about a fast turn around!

Cool! Maybe EDP applicants get priority this early. Mine was complete the day after they received my last transcript.

Cool! Maybe EDP applicants get priority this early. Mine was complete the day after they received my last transcript.

Did you get an automatic secondary like last year? I haven't seen one float by yet and I heard that MCG didn't expect to get the packets from AMCAS until the first of July?

"We expect to begin getting verified applications from AMCAS around the first of July" is what I heard last night from MCG.

Did you get an automatic secondary like last year? I haven't seen one float by yet and I heard that MCG didn't expect to get the packets from AMCAS until the first of July?

"We expect to begin getting verified applications from AMCAS around the first of July" is what I heard last night from MCG.

I wish all of you having to reapply the best of luck and am hoping that a call may still come your way. MCG is def. one of the best programs out there for early clinical exposure. My gf's pops was talking to his derm. about MCG and he said that it was def. superior than most programs.

No, I didn't get one yet. The AMCAS site says they will be sending out the first processed apps to the medical schools around June 24th. I guess we will start getting the secondaries pretty soon.

Last edited:
So, what did those of you who were at the Mercer financial aid seminar Saturday think? Not that I expected you to have any revelations, but it is interesting to see the whole class together for the first time.

So, what did those of you who were at the Mercer financial aid seminar Saturday think? Not that I expected you to have any revelations, but it is interesting to see the whole class together for the first time.

It was depressing and exciting at the same time. I didn't want to be reminded that I was going to have to pay back upwards of $250,000. On the other hand, it was exciting to meet some of my future classmates and colleagues.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was depressing and exciting at the same time. I didn't want to be reminded that I was going to have to pay back upwards of $250,000. On the other hand, it was exciting to meet some of my future classmates and colleagues.

Why would you have to pay back that much?

Why would you have to pay back that much?

Well that is assuming I take out the full ~$60,000 each year plus all the intrest that accrues over my medical training. I think that ends up being around 250,000, but I could be wrong. Do you have a plan for paying less, besides a Country Doc or Military Scholarship?

What's sad is that if you want to pay off that amount of debt in say... 5 years... It's going to cost you a cool $5000+/month to do it. That's
$60,000/year once interest in taken into consideration. (5-7% I'm guessing will accrue each year)

I was excited, but overwhelmed at the thought of the debt load. I have previous student loans, so I will have approximately 300K when this is over. I looked around the room, and I thought of how much debt potential was sitting there with me.

The students all seemed nice, but I wish I would've met more Savannah students. Also, I hope financial aid has a branch office in Savannah, because it will get really old trying to get everything to Macon.

I met my replacement today, so I'm starting to realize how real this process is. Wow! I didn't realize I would be this anxious.

Well that is assuming I take out the full ~$60,000 each year plus all the intrest that accrues over my medical training. I think that ends up being around 250,000, but I could be wrong. Do you have a plan for paying less, besides a Country Doc or Military Scholarship?

I didn't realize the GA medical board scholarship was for any field as long as you practice in a county of <35K. That made me think about it.

The students all seemed nice, but I wish I would've met more Savannah students. Also, I hope financial aid has a branch office in Savannah, because it will get really old trying to get everything to Macon.

When I toured Savannah I distinctly remember the dean of admissions echoing that same concern; he assured me that finaid would have an office in the SAV.

I was excited, but overwhelmed at the thought of the debt load. I have previous student loans, so I will have approximately 300K when this is over. I looked around the room, and I thought of how much debt potential was sitting there with me.

I met my replacement today, so I'm starting to realize how real this process is. Wow! I didn't realize I would be this anxious.

Yeah, I couldn't sleep very well Saturday night thinking about debt and how much I still had to do before moving to Savannah. I only met 2 others going to Savannah. I wish we could have separated ourselves from the Macon people, but I guess we'll meet everyone once we get there.

GAdoc, what exactly do we do during the week-long orientation? I was thinking orientation would only be a day or two. So I've discovered I'll be moving a day before orientation and wondering how long each day will be. Hopefully, I'll have time to get settled!

Guys, chill out for a second.

I'm by no means an expert at this sort of thing, but let's just separate emotion from reality for a minute.

We will have debt by the time we're done with school.

So does everyone else in the country.

Mercer does cost, but look at the cost of admission at every other school in the country. We think we're getting tooled because we're too close to MCG.

We look at MCG like it's the standard around the US, when the fact of the matter is that it's clearly not. Most medical schools are around the mid-thirties just like Mercer.

So, number one, we're not special with regards to tuition costs.

1. We're not paying any more than most medical students around the nation, and statistics even prove this to be true.

Okay, so when the AAMC lady showed us the average salaries for those 7 or 8 specialties, she then broke it down for monthly payments in order to pay off a debt in 10 years.

She was showing us that, even with an internal medicine salary, we can pay that thing off with just 10% of our monthly salary.

Well, why wouldn't you pay like 50% of your monthly salary instead, and be done with this thing faster, thereby reducing the amount of interest accrued?

I mean come on gents, if you're making $15k a month, why in the name of the good Lord would you only pay 10%?

Heck, you could pay 75% each month and still be okay with bills, rent, food, etc.

$15,450 a month minus 75% comes out to your still bringing in over $4k a month.

You'd have that debt payed off in a year.

2. You'll pay off that debt without even realizing the cost when you start practicing.

There are also ways of "gaming" that system too. We can sign up for the graduated payment plan, pay smaller payments at first, then after finishing your residency start paying it off with huge amounts out of your monthly salary such as what I just mentioned above this paragraph. I mean really, do you seriously need to bring in $15k a month in your first year out of med school?

My brother is a real estate guy here in Savannah, and a lot of his friends are local doctors. They all said for him to tell me that the debt is no big deal. They all said that the doctors that have trouble with the debt are people who can't stop spending money.

We also have to remember that when you start practicing, just about every major hospital has loan repayment plans where they'll pay off your loan for you if you agree to work for them.

Basic lifestyle costs can be cut greatly. We are not doctors yet, we don't need filet mignon every night, and we don't need much other than what it takes to get us to and from school every day, and in good health.

I'm personally not even worried about the debt at all. It will get payed off and my life won't be affected by it.

Guys, chill out for a second.

I'm by no means an expert at this sort of thing, but let's just separate emotion from reality for a minute.

We will have debt by the time we're done with school.

So does everyone else in the country.

Mercer does cost, but look at the cost of admission at every other school in the country. We think we're getting tooled because we're too close to MCG.

We look at MCG like it's the standard around the US, when the fact of the matter is that it's clearly not. Most medical schools are around the mid-thirties just like Mercer.

So, number one, we're not special with regards to tuition costs.

1. We're not paying any more than most medical students around the nation, and statistics even prove this to be true.

Okay, so when the AAMC lady showed us the average salaries for those 7 or 8 specialties, she then broke it down for monthly payments in order to pay off a debt in 10 years.

She was showing us that, even with an internal medicine salary, we can pay that thing off with just 10% of our monthly salary.

Well, why wouldn't you pay like 50% of your monthly salary instead, and be done with this thing faster, thereby reducing the amount of interest accrued?

I mean come on gents, if you're making $15k a month, why in the name of the good Lord would you only pay 10%?

Heck, you could pay 75% each month and still be okay with bills, rent, food, etc.

$15,450 a month minus 75% comes out to your still bringing in over $4k a month.

You'd have that debt payed off in a year.

2. You'll pay off that debt without even realizing the cost when you start practicing.

There are also ways of "gaming" that system too. We can sign up for the graduated payment plan, pay smaller payments at first, then after finishing your residency start paying it off with huge amounts out of your monthly salary such as what I just mentioned above this paragraph. I mean really, do you seriously need to bring in $15k a month in your first year out of med school?

My brother is a real estate guy here in Savannah, and a lot of his friends are local doctors. They all said for him to tell me that the debt is no big deal. They all said that the doctors that have trouble with the debt are people who can't stop spending money.

We also have to remember that when you start practicing, just about every major hospital has loan repayment plans where they'll pay off your loan for you if you agree to work for them.

Basic lifestyle costs can be cut greatly. We are not doctors yet, we don't need filet mignon every night, and we don't need much other than what it takes to get us to and from school every day, and in good health.

I'm personally not even worried about the debt at all. It will get payed off and my life won't be affected by it.

And remember it is not debt it is an investment ;). Actually I was not too overwhelmed, me and my interviewer had talked at length about the cost of Mercer at my interview and he reassured me that it is not as bad as it seems so I had already stressed and restressed over the cost so it did not come as shocking. I also spent all of last month budgeting and such, because well I suck at finances and really don't want to run out of money in January. On a side note did anyone understand what the national guard was saying? Especially when they said "only 3 years but really 8 years of service," it really did not make sense to me at all.

And remember it is not debt it is an investment ;). Actually I was not too overwhelmed, me and my interviewer had talked at length about the cost of Mercer at my interview and he reassured me that it is not as bad as it seems so I had already stressed and restressed over the cost so it did not come as shocking. I also spent all of last month budgeting and such, because well I suck at finances and really don't want to run out of money in January. On a side note did anyone understand what the national guard was saying? Especially when they said "only 3 years but really 8 years of service," it really did not make sense to me at all.

The Nat'l Guard guy made no sense at all to me.

I've already done my 8 years in the military, and I know how all of those scholarships work. What threw me off is that the Navy chick didn't talk about the other scholarships they have.

She should have mentioned the loan repayment option for residency.

Yeah, I couldn't sleep very well Saturday night thinking about debt and how much I still had to do before moving to Savannah. I only met 2 others going to Savannah. I wish we could have separated ourselves from the Macon people, but I guess we'll meet everyone once we get there.

GAdoc, what exactly do we do during the week-long orientation? I was thinking orientation would only be a day or two. So I've discovered I'll be moving a day before orientation and wondering how long each day will be. Hopefully, I'll have time to get settled!

Glad all you guys are thinking about the debt. It should make you nervous to know that you're taking on that kind of debt, but as some of you have mentioned, its no different than taking out a loan to start a business (except the "business" is in you head and the loan is much more of a sure thing since doctors are in short supply). I agree that we'll all pay off the debt without a problem...it just depends on how we're willing to live until its paid off. That will determine whether we pay for 5, 10, or more years!

Also think about how you can reduce debt while you're in school. You're giving up the prime of your life to be a medical student, so I wouldn't totally deny yourself any pleasure (you don't want to have regrets). But, you probably don't need at BMW right now. And if your dad wants to buy you one, ask him to put it towards tuition! And if he's already doing that, then why are you going to med school in the first place ? (j/k)

One thing you should also think about is that during your 3-7 years of residency you'll barely be making enough to live on, let alone pay towards your loan. Most students apply for (and are granted) an economic hardship deferrment. Obviously, the upside is not having to use your meager $40,000 for loan repayment. The downside is that the interest continues to accrue. Just something to think about.

Finally, for those of you who are married and are worried about protecting your spouse...all of you federal loans are forgiven if something happens to you. This may not apply to any private loans you take out, but for all Stafford Loans and GRAD Plus loans, if you die, your debt is cancelled. So, don't pay for term life insurance.

As far as orientation. I didn't enjoy it and could've done without it. There. I've said it. But, you have to do it so you might as well have a good attitude about it. They'll feed you breakfast and lunch every day. You'll meet your classmates, and you'll be assigned PPL groups (essentially care groups). Your PPL leader will be Mercer faculty and you'll go over to their house one evening for a cookout. If you're the type person who really thrives on team-building games, ice breakers and being sweaty and smelling like a wet dog by 10:00am then you'll love orientation. The ropes course isn't too bad. Also, be prepared for a fitness assessment. The second years (us) will be there to put you guys through the works!

You'll be there from about 9:00 to mid-afternoon each day. Some days may be longer others shorter. Hopefully they'll give you a schedule soon. And whenever they give you a book list, please post it and I'll try to help you weed through what you do and don't need.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Here's a question: I think I remember you being an M1. What are you doing this summer? What are your classmates doing?

Here's a question: I think I remember you being an M1. What are you doing this summer? What are your classmates doing?

I'm doing bio-impedance research with a cardiothoracic surgeon in the CVICU at the Medical Center. We're doing a correlation study to prove that the non-invasive cardiac output measured by the bio-impedance machine is as accurate as the traditional thermodilution measurements taken via Swan-Gantz PA catheter. Our hope is to publish a paper that will help change the standard of care among patients recovering from CABG.

As far as my classmates...I can't speak for them. There were 17 paid faculty-student positions. Mine is one of them.

Please tell me that you are kidding me about taking a physical fitness assessment.

Please tell me that you are kidding me about taking a group rope course.

Please, please, please tell me that you are kidding me.

Please tell me that you are kidding me about taking a physical fitness assessment.

haha. I was thinking the same thing. Why on Earth would we do a ropes course? Plus outside activities in August in Georgia is crazy.

Oh no, now I will never be a doctor because I failed orientation :eek:

Oh no, now I will never be a doctor because I failed orientation :eek:

I hope MCG's idea of team-building activities involves Call of Duty. Or at least air conditioning.

Sounds like something that you'll remember, though. But glad its not me!

Ha! You wish. Nope, not kidding. They'll ask you to wear gym clothes one morning...you'll all go up to the University Center (which is nice and cool) and be divided into groups. You'll then rotate through stations where second years will do things like measure your blood pressure, weight, body fat, aerobic capacity. You'll be timed on push-ups and sit-ups. We'll prick your finger to test blood glucose and total cholesterol. A few weeks later, family medicine will make you attend a lecture where they give you the results of your "fitness profile". That's always fun.

My favorite part was watching all of the gunners really try to do it up.

And yeah...there is a rope's course. The worst part: its low rope only. In other words, team building activities for three hours in the 96 degree, 98% humidity August morning in Macon, GA. To top it all off, they ask the ROTC to take you through the course. Our class joked for months about that. We even called the Phase A notes our class produced "Hero's Notes" in honor of the fact that the leader kept calling us "Heroes".

Have fun.

Well, what about the Savannah campus people?

The Nat'l Guard guy made no sense at all to me.

I've already done my 8 years in the military, and I know how all of those scholarships work. What threw me off is that the Navy chick didn't talk about the other scholarships they have.

She should have mentioned the loan repayment option for residency.

I think the Nat'l Guard recruiter scholarship is perfect for you. The 8 years she was talking about is the 8 yrs that you can be recalled to duty if needed. Since you've served 8yrs of active duty...you have no further obligation than the 3yrs of med school recruiting. I would take advantage if I was in your position.

I was about to ask the same question.

I wouldn't expect to be treated any different...especially since the faculty usually get roped into participating in at least part of the activities and you guys are getting some of our faculty. Yeah, they're pretty much experts by now. As far as the ropes course goes...who knows? It might be better...or they might substitute it with something worse...

In any case, you guys can probably go ahead and thank our class. Some of my classmates are the biggest bunch of whiners and they made sure the facutly knew in no uncertain terms how much they disliked parts of orientation. As much as I like Mercer, I was admittedly one of the complainers. I just don't see how sweating together and fighting mosquitoes all morning creates a closer bond. Why not go out to the lake for a BBQ? Really, the only think that was truly painful was the rediculous lectures from people you'll never hear from again (unless you start to fail out). I guess the idea is to put the "fear of God" in you. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your summer. After your first week of Phase A, orientation (and the rest of a "normal" life) will seem like a distant memory.

I don't know who GaDoc is but he seems like a big loser to me. Just kidding, he's quite the gentleman and scholar type. Regarding the ropes course, I rather enjoyed it. Again, I might be more "blessed" than GaDoc with my PPL group but its one of those things that is fun to look back on when you're chin deep in neurology and wanting to lesion your spinal cord. The lectures can be fantastically horrible and GaDoc is totally correct in our complainers helping shorten some of that, again, what's great is totally ripping the lectures with your classmates later. Like the coffee budget lady.. I splurge big on coffee come 1 week pre test, don't tell me otherwise. Great advice to enjoy the rest of your summer and make most of that first week. Get to know your classmates, the second years, go out if you can and just so folks know, we're not all heavy drinkers or drinkers for that matter. One of the biggest things you want to avoid doing is staying isolated and out of the loop when it comes to venting, getting some money sheets or having some friends because those things count. :)

Okay, please list the events in the physical assessment.

How is aerobic capacity measured?

VO2 test? 1 mile run? 2 mile run? Step test?

1 minute of timed pushups / situps?

Any pullups?

Okay, please list the events in the physical assessment.

How is aerobic capacity measured?

VO2 test? 1 mile run? 2 mile run? Step test?

1 minute of timed pushups / situps?

Any pullups?

I think someone is worried about passing...haha

Regarding what some of our students are doing, about 1/4 are here doing research.. some in the lab with basic sciences, 3 in the hospital, and some with community medicine/admissions (non lab) type research. There's a one week mission trip to Reynosa Mexico in late July. Otherwise other people are spending time with spouses/family/sig others, or bummin round macon/hometown. After 6 weeks research I'm doing 2 weeks between NY and Lawrenceville Ga (Hometown) .

Events (off the top of my head) - one minute push ups, sit ups, grip strength, BMI, height, weight, cholesterol, vitals, questionaire, blood sugar (?). there were no push ups or VO2 as i remember.

There's no passing/failing just utter embarrassment especially when our health profiles are analyzed later in the year and they just happen to use yours as the anonymous example. :(

Last edited:
I think someone is worried about passing...haha

Not by a long shot brother.

Just annoyed is all.

It's just I've been competing physically my entire life, and now that I'm 28, I'm ready to be done with the physical testing.

I stopped competing in martial arts tournaments last year, and I'm just tired of seeing some dude standing there with a stopwatch in his hand waiting for me to begin whatever it is I'm about to do.

Regarding what some of our students are doing, about 1/4 are here doing research.. some in the lab with basic sciences, 3 in the hospital, and some with community medicine/admissions (non lab) type research. There's a one week mission trip to Reynosa Mexico in late July. Otherwise other people are spending time with spouses/family/sig others, or bummin round macon/hometown. After 6 weeks research I'm doing 2 weeks between NY and Lawrenceville Ga (Hometown) .

Events (off the top of my head) - one minute push ups, sit ups, grip strength, BMI, height, weight, cholesterol, vitals, questionaire, blood sugar (?). there were no push ups or VO2 as i remember.

There's no passing/failing just utter embarrassment especially when our health profiles are analyzed later in the year and they just happen to use yours as the anonymous example. :(

Ishzter missed one....there is a two minute aerobic step excercise. No big deal.

Ishzter made me feel guilty...I normally don't complain about stuff. If you can't tell, I love being at Mercer and wouldn't choose to be anywhere else. Everything you do will be what you make of it. Yes there are quite a few hoops to jump. Some of them seem utterly rediculous. But, with good friends and a good attitude you'll be fine. Sorry if that sounds a little cheezy. I'm as introverted as they come and never studied with another person. Still, the nature of the curriculum is that you absolutely have to have some reliance on each other.

MCG called and offered me an admission this afternoon. I have until tomorrow to decide. I thought I would automatically say, "no, thanks." But, now I can't decide. I just had the fin aid seminar....that didn't help my feelings. Mercer is a great school, and I live in Savannah...so, I really want to stay here. But, MCG does have benefits. I'll let you guys know if someone else may get a call...either MCG or Mercer (savannah campus) will be calling someone else soon. :luck:

MCG called and offered me an admission this afternoon. I have until tomorrow to decide. I thought I would automatically say, "no, thanks." But, now I can't decide. I just had the fin aid seminar....that didn't help my feelings. Mercer is a great school, and I live in Savannah...so, I really want to stay here. But, MCG does have benefits. I'll let you guys know if someone else may get a call...either MCG or Mercer (savannah campus) will be calling someone else soon. :luck:

All I'm going to tell you is that my cousin just finished her second year at MCG, and she took her boards this past Monday.

She hates MCG, and she wishes she hadn't gone there.

She hates Augusta, she hates the curriculum, and she hates the environment.

That's all I'm saying, and if anyone wants to ask me about my own personal experience at MCG, I'll tell them about it. I did a summer there, and I took the medical school biochem class, and it was taught by MCG's professors.

I've tested under them as well.

Do what you want, but don't let something as small as debt sway your decision.

I did some volunteer work with a bunch of mcg students. It was a mix, some were really nice and helpful while others were stuck up and snobby. Congrats on the addittional acceptance though.

I did some volunteer work with a bunch of mcg students. It was a mix, some were really nice and helpful while others were stuck up and snobby. Congrats on the addittional acceptance though.

With 200 people one would expect a good mix! :) I have three friends at MCG, two that love it and one that hates it.

medstudtobe, that's a tough decision to make. i was waitlisted at mcg when i applied and accepted to mercer and morehouse so i had to make a decision. i'll be perfectly honest, mcg was my first choice. i am now at mercer, an MSII and do not regret my decision.at then end of the day, i like it at mercer. our curriculum, the environment , our profs.. make it work. but i would like to point some things out. first and foremost, you have to get an idea of where you'll be most happy or the least depressed. Where will you survive and perform best in these next four years. This is probably the more important factor because it takes into account the type of curriculum, the classroom environment (competitive vs. noncompetitive) , etc. Next, money does matter. Mercer has a tuition increase this semester and going to a private med school doesn't come cheap. Our debt is projected to exceed $200,000 easy. Most American med schools, and I think I can include the four Georgia schools have a vested interest in getting their students through med school and doing well on the boards, this reflects well on them. I don't think Mercer or MCG offers a sig edge when it comes to board scores or overall quality of education. That being said, Mercer is incredibly independent learning driven. It is incredibly hard to get the As at Mercer that you hear MCG students getting because we study and are responsible for a much more material and note taking services and powerpoints are not the mainstay. However, the kind of resident of 3rd/4th year that Mercer puts out is very different. We think differently and are used to indpt learning, so we read up on cases and bring that to the field, that I think is where some of the bang for buck comes in.

So if distaste for idpt learning, tuition, and desire for competition trump what Mercer has to offer, I say go to MCG.

I just phoned MCG and told them I am turning down my acceptance, which I have held for quite some time :( I really hope I make someone's day, this was a really tough decision for me. They should be calling the next person on their list as soon as they see I faxed over my withdrawl. Good luck!

So if distaste for idpt learning, tuition, and desire for competition trump what Mercer has to offer, I say go to MCG.[/quote]

I will be attending MCG. I spoke with several physicians (some Mercer grads) who all said consider the money. It's great to talk about how it's not a big factor, but for me it plays a large part. I'm older than most students, I have a wife and three children, I went to a private PA school (thus, almost 70K left in loans from PA school), and I want to retire before I'm eighty. I have a friend who went to Med school at a later age, and she just paid her loans off two years ago. She is now ready to retire. I don't want that to be me. I will have to take the max loans for living expense....so tuition is the only thing that can be cut.

As for the competition and indepth learning....I will do the best I can and not worry about what others do. Also, I think the med experience is what you make of it. While I was in PA school I rotated with Mercer and MCG students on the wards. Some were "smarter" than others...better at thinking things through, etc. I don't believe the training of either really made the individual student more adept/intuitive. I think either school will offer a quality education, just use different methods to arrive at the same goal. I haven't seen anything pointing to one school having significantly better board scores or grads being drastically better prepared for residency. A lot of med school (at least from what I observed/participated in as a PA student) was what the individual student made of it. If you are lazy and slack off, you may get by with it for a while, but you will suffer in the end. Hopefully, I will be happy at MCG, and I wish all the Mercer students the best. I would love to stay in Savannah, and if I receive a 25K/year scholarship by Monday to go to Mercer....I will be overjoyed. Otherwise, I'll just have to suck it up and move to Augusta. I trained at Memorial in Savannah while in PA school so it would be great to stay, but in the end I just don't want the added debt.

Goodluck to all, and I hope one of our SDN friends get an acceptance soon.:luck: