Gaaaah, never be roommates with another pre-med!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binky12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, few months back, I started the application process. While I was busy STARTING my application, my roommate had already turned his in... and been verified by AMCAS.

Theeeen, finally I finished my application. Such an accomplishment! Praying away for the possibility of an interview or two maybe 3 months down the road... or at least verification by AMCAS. By then, my roommate had something like 10 interviews (he eventually went on to get 18... maybe more...)

So finally I get my first interview! Hazzah! But by then my roommate had something like 3 or 4 acceptances from very good schools (most top 20).

And now, while I wait to hear from EXTREME REACH schools in March, my roommate gets into a top 10.

GAAAAAAH! Why must someone in such close proximity to me accentuate my failure at life?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but don't forget about that kid down the hall with 0 interviews

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. However, when I first started reading this post, I was under the impression that your roommate was going to rub it in your face or something mean like that- at least thats where I thought the direction of the post was going given the title. I'd be happy for him for getting into all those good schools and having great scores but then again i can understand how its a stark reminder for you. Good luck with the application process!

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. However, when I first started reading this post, I was under the impression that your roommate was going to rub it in your face or something mean like that- at least thats where I thought the direction of the post was going given the title. I'd be happy for him for getting into all those good schools and having great scores but then again i can understand how its a stark reminder for you. Good luck with the application process!

No, he's not mean about it at all. But I would have been so much more relaxed if I were roommates with a non-pre-med major.

understandable. On the same tenet, I think ive made a vow to date someone outside of medicine. My current girlfriend (probably soon to be wife) is a teacher with a background in art. I think conversations come out to be more interesting that way (not that dating a pre-med wouldnt, but it would seem to be more difficult given that both your lives are in medicine).

Sooooo, few months back, I started the application process. While I was busy STARTING my application, my roommate had already turned his in... and been verified by AMCAS.

Theeeen, finally I finished my application. Such an accomplishment! Praying away for the possibility of an interview or two maybe 3 months down the road... or at least verification by AMCAS. By then, my roommate had something like 10 interviews (he eventually went on to get 18... maybe more...)

So finally I get my first interview! Hazzah! But by then my roommate had something like 3 or 4 acceptances from very good schools (most top 20).

And now, while I wait to hear from EXTREME REACH schools in March, my roommate gets into a top 10.

GAAAAAAH! Why must someone in such close proximity to me accentuate my failure at life?

I find it hard to believe from your post that college is the first time someone helped to illustrate that you suck at life.

That was my life in college too, and I wasn't even applying then! Just think of it as a learning experience: there's always someone who is smarter than you, more prepared than you, who'll get more of the good stuff in life than you. It's good preparation for med school. :D

All my friends are premed, I room with 2 of them and go out with another. Luckily no one is the gunner type and we just support one another and keep each other on track. I think if it wasn't for my friends I would have turned in my AMCAS a lot later and wouldn't have been as prepared for my interviews.

Misery loves company :)

Besides, who else would understand why a normal person would suddenly break out into the Chicken Dance at 10 in the morning after reading an email?

No, he's not mean about it at all. But I would have been so much more relaxed if I were roommates with a non-pre-med major.

Then thank your luck stars he's not mean. I lived with another pre-med once. It ended badly. Very badly.

We no longer speak...but if we did, I'm sure we would have some choice words.

I now live with a French major....and life is much easier. :thumbup:

all my friends that were premed, are no longer premed. everyone else has given up. and when i did room with another premed, it was quite annoying being in the same classes when tests were coming up. i like to study on my own and at my own pace, but he would always inject himself into my studying and try to arrange our studying around his understanding of the material. i only have one other premed friend that's also applying, but she did EDP and got accepted.

Some people just get envious of others accomplishments.:thumbdown:

He's probably a great influence. I lived with and am friends with all non-premeds and it took me a year and a half extra to get into med school. Not that I would ever want to take back that 1.5 years but in no way was it relaxing! :)

Youve had no acceptances yet? At least interviews are a good sign. Statistically, of those who are interviewed, more are accepted than rejected. At least I think thats how it works at most schools...

Consider it another life lesson. We all have to do our best. There will always be people better than us, and there will always be people worse. The important thing is to keep trying. At least your roomate didn't outwardly do anything to make you feel bad.

I'm in a similar situation myself. My roomate is not pre-med or in a career remotely related to medicine. I call him the 30 year old loser (behind his back, haha).

His mom is a tenured professor somewhere, and his dad is an executive at some big company. He's the typical suburban kid born with a silver spoon up his ass. He went to a posh private high school, then to a private university. He's a mediocre student (and in everything else in life); connections and money was a large part of his admission qualifications. After that, went on to get a masters in history, took a few years off to bum around Italy, then went back to get his pHd which is what occupies his days now. Never worked a day in his life...mommy supported him all the way. Somewhere along the way, he got married to someone who actually...gasp...works for a living. So instead of spending his mommy's money, he spends his wife's.

He values himself as some sort of scholar. He is so unbelievably full of himself and narcissistic...beyond the point of obnoxious. He feel's it is his right of passage to approve those around him. I've only lived with him for a couple months, and in that time I've been studying for the mcat, researching schools, and working on my PS but with him constantly talking down to me and bashing doctors. Arrgh! I'd go into the kitchen for a study break snack, and he'd be there messing with my mind to make me feel incompetent. Ugh, to state the obvious, 30 year old loser and his wife had to rent out a room coz I think mommy cut their spending account. Why..oh why did I sign that year lease. Just earlier today, I came home from orchestra practice, and he scoffed something along the lines of whether I fit in with the group who is "much better" than me. I'm a competent trumpet player, and he's never heard me play. I would imagine a person whose musical background is a "bitch'n" Gnarls Barkley album isn't fit to hand out judgement.

Anyhoo, my point is, we have to learn to focus, do our best, and not let jerks around us affect our lives. The thing that bothers me the most is when someone stands between me and my med school aspirations. I was really bothered by their $hit when I was studying for the mcat. :mad:

I am just curious Binky... when did your friend apply and when did you apply. Also when was his and yours amcas verified?