Gabapentin schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Well some may or may not have noticed, but gabapentin has been shipped in with the controls in recent news of gabapentin changing to CV status in Kentucky at least. All in favor for going federal Controlled substance?
http://www.chfs.ky.gov/os/oig/KASPER.htm
Kentucky: Cabinet for Health and Family Services - KASPER

How Gabapentin Differs From Pregabalin

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally? Maybe I won't be going through 1000 count bottles of Gabapentin in a day.

Reactions: 4 users
I know stores that I worked at in KY were already treating gabapentin as a controlled when it came to refills. The amount of customers getting scripts from multiple doctors was getting ridiculous. Glad to hear it's really happening now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In Ohio we've been treating it like a control for almost a year now. Our board has made suggestions that would follow suit with Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Gabapentin shows up on the ohio pmp but it is not a control yet.

We're going this way in IN. Treated as a c4 when it comes to refills.

I hope CA follows this soon as well. Tired of people calling in for there "gabementin" early every single month or trying to pay cash for it.

I do not like the large dosing range with this drug up to 3,600mg/day with questionable efficacy after 1,800mg/day. This often involves MDs prescribing a combo of 100, 300, 400, 600, & even 800mg tabs/caps.

So much short term memory issues with the people on this drug. I swear, I had this 1 women call me up like 3-4 times over a few days (sometimes like 1 hour after she called already) asking the same question verbatim, "what's gabapentin used for?...." With the same responses every time.

I do not like the large dosing range with this drug up to 3,600mg/day with questionable efficacy after 1,800mg/day. This often involves MDs prescribing a combo of 100, 300, 400, 600, & even 800mg tabs/caps.

So much short term memory issues with the people on this drug. I swear, I had this 1 women call me up like 3-4 times over a few days (sometimes like 1 hour after she called already) asking the same question verbatim, "what's gabapentin used for?...." With the same responses every time.

3600mg? Yeah right, I've seen up to 4800 and not that infrequently. There aren't dose-limiting AEs or risk of harm going higher, so docs will up and up. Of course, that's totally separate from the abuse risk.

In Ohio they show gabapentin on PMPs.

I say it's used for epilepsy and the main side effect is weight gain. Gets some good reactions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why do people want it to be a controlled substance? Doctors will still prescribe it just as much, and you now have to double count a truckload of gabapentin every day. You do realize that if someone is blatantly abusing it you can still turn them away/refuse to fill early even if it's not a controlled drug? I just don't see the benefit other than it being on the state pmp, which it already is in my state anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope CA follows this soon as well. Tired of people calling in for there "gabementin" early every single month or trying to pay cash for it.

What's the difference? It doesn't need to be a controlled substance for you to say "We don't fill this medication early anymore". If they don't like it they can go somewhere else, counting 360 gabapentin is a pain in the ass anyways. Double counting it will be even worse.