Gaining Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw6q8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to gain residence in a neighboring state during my gap year. I have family there that is willing to let me use their address as a permanent address, however I am on a lease for an apartment in my current state. Will the school look for that, or would they accept my permenant address?

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to gain residence in a neighboring state during my gap year. I have family there that is willing to let me use their address as a permanent address, however I am on a lease for an apartment in my current state. Will the school look for that, or would they accept my permenant address?

Each state has different rules for what constitutes residency. If you are doing this you'll need to probably switch your drivers license and voter registration. However, you should move there. If you are in college there are different rules. If you are in the process of moving there and have two residencies then switch to where you are moving. If you are doing this based on just wanting to be in the neighboring state for the school DON'T! It will be found out and again there are different laws that govern what a residency is. If it looks like you moved there for that school without a job or anything like that then you won't be considered a resident anyways so it's not worth it.