galvanic cell question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gangazi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
q2.PNG

i was trying to do 1.82V-0.53V but not in the answer choice... can anyone explain this for me thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For any cell, one half of reaction must be oxidation and the other half must of reduction (An Ox and Red Cat). Here, Non metal Iodine is the reduction half rxn. So the Cobalt half must be oxidation half (makes sense because Cobalt is a transition metal and Iodine is a non metal). However, the reduction half is given for Cobalt so we need reverse it to make oxidation reaction which reverses the E cell to -1.82 V. Then its simple plug and chug:

E cell= E ox + E red =-1.82+0.53 = -1.29 V

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Ashish Isn't the Ecell for a galvanic cell always positive though? Thats what I have in my notes at least...

@Ashish Isn't the Ecell for a galvanic cell always positive though? Thats what I have in my notes at least...
Yeah thats true. To make that happen I guess Iodine is the anode? But that leads to answer that is not even one of the options? I am stumped lol We need @orgoman22 to the rescue. Like always. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a faulty question... Most positive value written in terms of reduction is the reduction potential. Then flip the less positive, which will then equal the oxidation potential. E = red + ox. Supported by the fact that galv/volt cells are also always spontaneous (Ecell > 0).

What software is it from?

View attachment 204334

i was trying to do 1.82V-0.53V but not in the answer choice... can anyone explain this for me thank you!
In a galvanic cell the overall cell voltage must be positive. You are given 2 half reactions that are both reductions, thus one of them must be reversed. Keeping in mind that the overall answer MUST be positive. Keep the first equation and reverse the 2nd equation. 1.82 - .53 will do the job. I suggest you consult a general chemistry textbook written by a PhD chemist to reinforce the concept.

Hope this helps..

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 users
In a galvanic cell the overall cell voltage must be positive. You are given 2 half reactions that are both reductions, thus one of them must be reversed. Keeping in mind that the overall answer MUST be positive. Keep the first equation and reverse the 2nd equation. 1.82 - .53 will do the job. I suggest you consult a general chemistry textbook written by a PhD chemist to reinforce the concept.

Hope this helps..

Dr. Romano
Hey, so does the opposite apply to electrolytic cells?