GAMSAT Prep- Suggestions; study activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShowGoesOn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am studying to write the GAMSAT exam so I may attend a medical school in Australia. It is different from the MCAT, which is the exam that most of you are familiar with however what I seek is not necessarily directly related/marketed for either.

The GAMSAT is now, largely a logical reasoning/deduction type of exam and many who wrote it earlier in the year would classify the "Reasoning in biological and physical sciences" section as an Aptitude test. There is a need to know basic material but it is less about knowledge regurgitation and more of information extrapolation and reasoning; the answers are all provided you just need to deduce the info and select the appropriate response.

TLDR: I am wondering if anybody has apps/programs... anything that will help me in this regard? (To enhance/refine my logical reasoning/problem solving graph interpretation skill.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Try the Australian student version of SDN:
GAMSAT I've never tried this site by the way but it seems eerily similar.

Anecdotally - from Australian friends who took both. GAMSAT is easier.

I did some revision on GAMSAT before but will only be taking it officially next year. Here's what I found useful in my revision for GAMSAT.

Section 1

Usually people will just recommend reading books,but I found practicing questions more natural for my learning.

Vocabulary.com > Find the MCAT wordlist and practice to improve your vocab.
Readtheory.org > This is similar to the GAMSAT section 1 question style, practice a few passages each day

Section 2

Recommend to read the news or you can get the A.C Grayling The Meaning of Things Book

Practise constructing your ideas by writing based on random GAMSAT quote generator that can be found online.

Section 3

I did the Acer GAMSAT paper without much practise and scored a 67/110 ~61 for the section lll component, a few years back. I can attest that you do not really need knowledge regurgitation but I feel that I could have done a lot better with more practice.

Recommend the AceGAMSAT books, get those that you need. Let's just say you are good in Maths/Physics, but bad in Chemistry,Biology,get the Chem/Bio books instead,vice versa, to save $$.

GAMSAT Products

I think that should be more than sufficient for the GAMSAT, since the minimum entry requirements to get an interview isn't so hardcore like the local applicants. * I will strongly encourage having a balanced revision amongst each section (min. test score of 50 for each section) Had a friend who didn't practised section 2 and took the GAMSAT. Although his overall was a competitive 61-62,he did not get to apply to many schools because his section 2 was <50. (He didn't really had much prior exposure to writing since his high school since he majored in biomed science in college)

Reactions: 1 user
Try the Australian student version of SDN:
GAMSAT I've never tried this site by the way but it seems eerily similar.

Anecdotally - from Australian friends who took both. GAMSAT is easier.
Thanks Dom. Haven’t visited that website before- I’ll give it a scan after work. I’m sure it’ll be of use.