Australian Medical Council Exam prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReedSternbergCell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just graduated from a UK uni with an MBBS. Long story short, can't get FY1 and I'm an australian PR so i'm now here preparing for AMC MCQ.

Exam is in a month and though everyone says oh you need 6 to 12 months, considering that I just finished my final exams I went ahead and signed up for part 1 exam. Now preparing using the AMC question book and some recalls I've found online.

Need some guidance; do you think this period would suffice to pass the first part? What Qbank would you suggest reflecting the toughness of the real exam? and what mark should encourage me to delay the test for now?

Also;

Given my PR status and the UK degree, how gloomy/hopeful should I be by my chances of finding a placement after cleaning AMC?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nooo idea about the AMC.

But this thread is a must for grads with non-Australian degrees wishing to practice in Australia, by the way: US doctor moving to Australia. I have no idea if it covers what you're after with regards to that exam.

with regards to chances.
there's massive bottlenecks surrounding the Australian intern year, which is equivalent to the foundation year in the UK, I believe. It's not a good year to start on in Australia, as even those with Australian degrees increasingly struggle to obtain one. it's not impossible however, but you're more likely to find yourself doing the intern year at a rural or remote hospital. And your best bet is not to merely apply, but call around the hospitals directly for positions (as in, find something outside of the match system, as it's quite possible no one will ever look at your application otherwise)

Australia follows a priority system, as in, spots are filled first according to your PR status and where you got your degree from. i.e. local domestic Australians with Australian degrees will get first priority to internships, followed by international students with Australian degrees, and then any non-Australian degrees (generally speaking). The more competitive, tertiary hospitals may not even look at the international students with Australian degrees. Suffice it to say, they probably wouldn't regard yours either.

If you're dead set about Australia, it's relatively easier to get a position after FY1 or internship. it is starting to get harder and more competitive. But traditionally, there's been lot of Brits and Irish grads in Australia floating around as house officers. As if to remind everyone that Australia was a former colony. :p

G'luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!! really helpful.

Yeah chances of getting a place through the system (HETI, PMCV etc) looks bleak... would definitely go around ringing up all the hospitals in the outer regions and remote areas for sure. just read about some developments regarding the priority system! Seems like people like me have been upgraded from a category 5 to 2 (at least in SA), not bad I'd say.

> it's relatively easier to get a position after FY1 or internship

Yeah I missed the boat on that one, can't do my FY1 in the UK, I'd be jeopardizing the PR status if I do which is a big no for me. Yeah it's not a good year to start any where in the world with the current climate, I don't have much choice any way.

There's almost no information out there for australian/resident IMGs. Hope more like me would join in and share their experiene.

Thanks again! : )

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy...
Technically you're cat 4 or 5 in south australia. Notice the list goes "1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc"?

If you wish to take your chances and believe they're great you can. But everyone in 1.1 to 2.1 or 2.4 etc is ahead of you. Most spots will fill up by 1.3. Its really dumb terminology if you ask me. Google the south australian med student societies at uni adelaide or flinders for further info on what final yrs in that state are facing. Its just as tight as NSW or VIC.

Again...
Anecdotal but
Most brits come to Aus after foundation yr. I've met tonnes. But never met a UK grad intern here.

Hi there.
I just joined the forum today and hope to get some support in regards to the AMC preparation, and internship searching.
Would you mind sharing your experience with me on your AMC journey?
How is it going so far? Have you passed both the exams?
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user