Gap year between TY and advanced program.

Ilikebuttertoast1

Jan 20, 2020
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

So I decided to change specialties and ended up matching into an advanced program during my Transitional year. This means I have the next year off and would like some advice as how to fill this gap year. Ideally paid research would be great but given the circumstances I don't know if paid radiology research fellowships are a thing right now.

Thank you in advanced.

CalmAndCollected

2+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2017
  1. Medical Student
You could try working in consulting. Since you already have a year of experience, you may even be eligible for a a full license in some states, which would be very attractive to companies looking for consultants. Big firms might be disinterested in hiring you if you won't stick around, but smaller companies or startups might be open to it. This however, is dependent on the economy, which isn't looking to good in this COVID environment.

Although, if you can get a full license, it might just be worth just moonlighting to make some cash.

I would suggest you take a vacation or try doing a gap year in a foreign country, but this doesn't seem very likely to be available right now.

Reactions: 1 user

EMThrowaway2020

Mar 24, 2020
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you're able to relocate a paid radiology research fellowship should be possible. If you can't relocate I would contact your local radiology residency/research faculty to see if they have any paid or volunteer opportunities.

Moonlighting + being a volunteer research intern could be a sweet year.

A friend of mine, who worked for 2 years after his first year of residency, had luck finding positions through Staffcare and Doccafe. There can be problems getting malpractice coverage without board certification, but this varies by state.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.