Gap year boredom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone already accepted experiencing this? Anyone have any interesting ideas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been reading and exercising a lot, apart from working part time. I've been bored since August.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take a trip if you have the money!

haha i've been waking up at 11 AM everyday and chopping all day haha

Get yourself on a better sleep schedule.
Develop some good/better health habits.
Track your steps (your phone may have a free app that does that right now) and aim for 10,000/day.
Learn to cook meals that will get you through the next 7 years.
Hone a skill that you enjoy and that will help you destress in the coming years. (Go to a craft store or a hardware store and you may find some inspiration). Buy a "How-to" book or sign up for lessons and acquire a new hobby.
Find someone who needs help and help them. This doesn't need to be a formal program; ask around your community and find out if anyone needs help with errands, handy-man projects, companionship, mentoring, tutoring, help with kids due to an illness or high risk pregnancy, etc.
Find some of the long reading lists on this site and read some enjoyable and enlightening books (not textbooks). A long book I got into recently was The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

Reactions: 15 users
I've been teaching myself to draw, and finally learning some new piano pieces I've wanted to get to forever ^_^ Super satisfying imo.

Not a gap year, but a non-traditional student waiting to quit my job...I recently purchased a national parks pass ($80 gets you into any national park/reserve/historic site for a year) and have been trying to visit as many places as I can before school starts.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm learning Spanish! I think being fluent is important as a prospective physician.

Not a gap year, but a non-traditional student waiting to quit my job...I recently purchased a national parks pass ($80 gets you into any national park/reserve/historic site for a year) and have been trying to visit as many places as I can before school starts.

Ugh, preach. I'm literally counting down the days. I plan on leaving in May to give myself two solid months of having zero obligations before med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of accepted students on this site conplaining about being bored is astonishing. My guess is that will be the same people complaining that they don't have enough free time once school starts.

The amount of accepted students on this site conplaining about being bored is astonishing. My guess is that will be the same people complaining that they don't have enough free time once school starts.

I for sure will be, no shame at all

Reactions: 5 users
Same! After spending five months in Europe, I came back for interviews, got accepted and now I'm just working part-time and reading a lot of Russian Literature (Tolstoy and Doestovesky are badasses). I actually started studying Romanian, just for kicks.

How are you going about doing this??
I'm a high school teacher, so I walked down the hall to the Spanish teacher and asked to borrow a text book ;)

My focus right now is vocabulary. I'm learning three words every day. I don't have time at the moment to start learning conjugation or sentences. I'll probably do that closer to summer after finals.

I'm a high school teacher, so I walked down the hall to the Spanish teacher and asked to borrow a text book ;)

My focus right now is vocabulary. I'm learning three words every day. I don't have time at the moment to start learning conjugation or sentences. I'll probably do that closer to summer after finals.

You should use Duolingo and Anki which are free. Those combined can have you speaking proficiently in 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been traveling locally (visiting museums, my friends in other states, making trips into manhattan) with tight funds.
I signed up for a 5k next month, hoping to complete a half marathon before school starts.
I'm overall trying to better myself while working my part time job that I cannot wait to quit

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to push my BMI into the obese range while keeping abs.

And reading a lot.

Ugh, preach. I'm literally counting down the days. I plan on leaving in May to give myself two solid months of having zero obligations before med school.
Look at Mr. Moneybags who can quit in May! La dee dah! :laugh::laugh:

I moved to France and have been trying to exercise, eat healthier, travel europe, study for my MCAT, and take advantage of the countries amazingly cheap healthcare. (I've went to a Family Med,Nutritionist,Podiatrist, and about to go to a chiropractor in the same first month)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile