Gap Year conundrum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meisbad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two roads diverged in yellow wood.............

After about 350 applications to be a clinical research coordinator (NYC) I finally got 2 job offers at the same time. I am having a tough time deciding which one to choose, I would appreciate any input!
Option 1: Clinical research coordinator 2 (Manhattan)
- Light & health research on sleep, education, traffic, neurodegenerative diseases
- Patient recruiting, collect patient specimen, visit homes, admin work like IRB
- Allowed to help with data analysis + paper writing
- Salary mid 60k
- 55 min subway commute
- PI really supportive of professional development

Option 2: Clinical research coordinator (Long Island)
- Neurosurgery dept mostly admin work + patient recruitment
- Patient recruiting, weekly presentations (to neurosurgeons :oops: ), mostly admin work + on-call 1 week/month, seems like more total work + more tedious work
- Salary mid 70k
- 20 min drive
- Did not love the workplace vibes
- Must become an "expert" in clinical trial protocols & learn nuances of neurosurgery but no writing opportunities

I have these two options for my (1) gap year while I apply to medical schools around the Northeast. Salary diff is 14k. Is me not vibing with a workplace + wanting slightly less (and more interesting) work to focus on med school apps enough of a reason to justify 14k less?

Members don't see this ad.

The first job sounds better for your personal development, despite the lower salary and the longer commute

Reactions: 1 user