Quantcast

Gap year dilemma: to quit or not to quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSall2011

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm at a bit of a cross roads.
I took two years off (graduated may 2015) to retake my MCAT and apply to med school. My retake went well (516, 95th percentile) and the rest of my application is solid (3.9 GPA with a BS in bio, 3 other research opportunities, a publication from another lab in a nephrology journal, tons of volunteering and leadership through a cancer related org, shadowing, etc)

I'm currently working a lab tech position at my top pick for medical school. I've been working here since June of 2015 (almost a year now). I am in a 3 person lab and I'm not enjoying it at all. My boss is harsh and a micromanager to put it simply. I don't feel that I'm gaining anything from working here other than perseverance and promised authorship on two papers (one of which we are submitting in June).

I recently took on some tutoring clients and am overloaded with potential inquires. In addition, tutoring pays 2-3 times what I'm making now.

My family is going through some pretty serious events. My uncle just lost his foot to diabetes last week. In addition my mom lost her job a little over a month ago and my dad lost his job yesterday (parents are divorced).

I really would rather quit my job and take on tutoring and substitute teaching work while I prepare to apply for med school this cycle. The money is better and the hours would be much more flexible. I also think I'd be a lot happier. My biggest concern is that this will hurt my application or future residency competitiveness

What are the potential downsides of making a change? Is there anything I'm overlooking? Would you recommend staying or going to a better financial situation?

Thanks in advance!

Mr Roboto

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your parents and uncle. Just quit, you'll be happier and make more money. Perhaps wait until June, if you can, so you'll have the paper on your CV.

Reactions: 1 user

eteshoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're a strong candidate as it is. Quit the tech position and do something more fulfilling and economically viable (i.e. Tutoring). No point in stressing yourself too much since you'll have plenty of that in med school

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quitting the research won't hurt your app, especially if you can express the reasons for doing so (sounds like they're solid), it just won't help as much as if you stuck around and got the publications. As said, the rest of your app sounds strong. Get your life together and keep everything as stressless and organized as possible before med school so you don't have more stress than necessary when you start.

starstarie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No one cares too much. They'll ask you about the things you got out of your time off, but they won't dig into the details if you don't offer them up. I did soemthing similar.

Smurfette

Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt this would affect your chances of getting into med school. Do what is best for you.

Moving to PreAllo.

moisne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quit. I tutored and built a pretty damn good reputation as a tutor. Kept the job in Med school. Covered my monthly rent and food expenses for only 10-15 hrs a week.