Gap Year- Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RL1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking a gap year between undergrad and med school and am currently dependent on FAFSA loans. I was wondering how the gap year effects my student loans. I understand that I need to start paying after 6 months out of school, but when I reenter medical school do my undergrad loans get deferred again? Also, is it the same process to reapply for FAFSA loans as I do now each year or is it different because I took a year off?

Thanks In Advance

Members don't see this ad.

Once you enter your medical school, your undergrad loans will be deferred again.
You can also do an adjustment, income-based adjustment, so that you are paying after those 6 months based on your income.

You will continue to fill out FAFSA thats my understanding, because FAFSA is a federal program. Graduate students fill it out, medical school is no different, so yes FAFSA is filled out. Make sure its before the deadline since you will be out of school and might not have the same cues as you normally would (constant chatter about FAFSA).

Reactions: 1 users
Once you enter your medical school, your undergrad loans will be deferred again.
You can also do an adjustment, income-based adjustment, so that you are paying after those 6 months based on your income.

You will continue to fill out FAFSA thats my understanding, because FAFSA is a federal program. Graduate students fill it out, medical school is no different, so yes FAFSA is filled out. Make sure its before the deadline since you will be out of school and might not have the same cues as you normally would (constant chatter about FAFSA).
Thank you so much.