Gap Year... for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take a gap year just for research? Or should I have a stronger reason?

• YES GAP YEAR

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • NO GAP YEAR

• you're being too nitpicky about this just go with the flow

• Total voters

aklvkk

C&H85
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the gap year(s). I'm not sure about research powerhouses giving leeway due to type of UG school (it doesn't matter what type you go to though). Your reasoning for taking a gap year is legitimate enough.

Reactions: 1 user
-deleted-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1 year is no much in the grand scheme for most people. I would take it if you are especially interested in the top schools. However, you should evaluate your current application and see if it is one that would have a chance at those top schools. No reason in taking a gap year to strengthen research solely for the purpose of attracting top tier love if other aspects are not up to par; a year of research and a pub (unless like NSC 1st author or similar) will likely not bring you to top 20 status by itself.

You will probably be fine without a gap year (with mcat pending that is much more critical than more research given your current position).

That said I took a gap year for research and it's been one of the best years of my life. Plenty of free time before med school, a little extra maturity and real world experience, and a chance to make some cash. Can't go wrong with a gap year IMO

Plus applying during the gap year makes writing apps and traveling for interviews Wwwwwaaaayyyyyyyyy less stressful

MCAT >>> research in terms of admissions. Do you like or want to do research? If not, then why are you so interested in the research powerhouses to begin with? If yes, then take the gap year.

All of my MD and PhD mentors have given me the same advice: "if you are even thinking about a gap year and it feels right, then just do it" or something to that effect.

Thank you! I was just hesitant about taking a gap year or two because med school + residency is already a 7~11 year process, but I guess a year or two in the long run isn't really that much (especially when doing something meaningful).

I personally took 4 yrs before med school. And I'm on a 15 yr training track :). You'll be fine, especially since the median age for applicants is slowly creeping (I think it's around ~24 now).

-deleted-

Last edited:
thank you everyone!!! I think I'm a pretty competitive applicant GPA-wise (3.85+), but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. The problem is that I will have finished all the pre-requisites by this summer, so I should take the MCAT now when the knowledge is fresh in my mind. But also if I am to take a gap year or two, the score would have expired by then. So I'm planning on taking it next year summer, after I have taken higher-level bio courses. Is this a bad idea? I am auditing biochemistry right now, but I will have taken the laboratory portion in addition to the lecture portion by next year spring.

EDIT: I'm currently a sophomore, if it's relevant.
I think having had biochemistry is definitely helpful for the new mcat. There are questions regarding laboratory techniques (affinity chromatography, CD spec, that sort) as well as amino acids, etc. I don't believe taking it fresh after you finish a course is necessarily better; you will have to review everything again right prior to the exam anyways. The mcat should also be valid for at least 3 years so it shouldn't expire if you take a gap year or two.

I'd say take the gap year, do some research, but mostly do something fun with the time you have before it all begins.