GAP YEAR HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTUREDR.AX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in college and will be graduating in May. I want to apply to dental school this summer. I took the DAT last summer and didnt do as well as I wanted to (18 AA). So I decided to take the test again this summer and then apply. This would mean that I will have a gap year. I just cant decide what I want to do during this year. I could apply to post-bacc programs, or just take additional classes to boost my GPA. My overall GPA is a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.2.
If someone could give me some advice or tell me about their GAP year and what they did, that would be sooooo helpful. I dont want to spend my whole year in classes, I want to volunteer and travel too so I want to incorporate all of that in the time that I have!
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some questions before I can give you a better answer
1. What did you major in?
2. If non-science, then what science classes did you take?
3. How many shadowing hours do you have?
4. How many volunteer hours do you have and in what?
5. What are your extracurriculars like?

Some questions before I can give you a better answer
1. What did you major in?
2. If non-science, then what science classes did you take?
3. How many shadowing hours do you have?
4. How many volunteer hours do you have and in what?
5. What are your extracurriculars like?
- I am a major in Biology with a minor in Psych
- I have well over 100 shadowing hours and work experience as a dental assistant.
- I have volunteered in dental offices and in in programs that put free sealants on children who cant afford them, and I also volunteer in religious groups.
- I am involved with 3 clubs on campus and also work as a lab assistant in my science building on campus

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything seems pretty solid except for the DAT and sGPA. This summer or fall, try to take a couple more science classes to bring that up. You might have to retake the DAT and aim for at least a 21 to be competitive.

It might suck having to study again, but it'll make our cycle at lot less stressful. If you retake the DAT in late June, you'll still be considered an early applicant.

With all this said, make sure to apply in June. Schools are bit for forgiving of stats earlier in the cycle

My opinion is work on that DAT and perhaps make some money while you wait. Try and choose a job that revolves around dentistry. You will probably get a few interviews when you apply (practicing social skills can help prepare for when you do). Throw in some volunteer hours that is not dentistry if you apply to a school that focuses on the community. Then after that it's out of your hands but fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
retake the DAT and get a 21+ minimum with no sections under 20. if you take it again and don’t improve to that score then take some classes to raise your sGPA as mentioned previously. your DAT is definitely holding you back and with a good DAT you should be able to get in assuming everything else is there

My opinion is work on that DAT and perhaps make some money while you wait. Try and choose a job that revolves around dentistry. You will probably get a few interviews when you apply (practicing social skills can help prepare for when you do). Throw in some volunteer hours that is not dentistry if you apply to a school that focuses on the community. Then after that it's out of your hands but fingers crossed.
I'd almost suggest working in an industry to boost your people skills (this can be so many things). That will really help you out in the long run being able to relate to people. You've already worked in a dental office as an assistant, you know what that's like.

I like everything else in this post!

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions!! Does anyone have specific classes in mind that I should take? I have already taken many science classes since I am a Biology major, but I dont really know what other classes could help me! thanks!!

Honestly I’d study like crazy for a couple months for the DAT and seriously shoot for like a 23-24. I think realistically that would offset your low but not-that-low GPA, and then you can avoid spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on more classes. If you’ve taken enough credits for a bachelor’s already, getting A’s in 12 more credits will bring from a 3.2 science to what, a 3.3? Not worth the time/money/effort, people get in with a 3.2 sGPA already and high AA/TS will show that you improved your understanding of the sciences. Apply in the first week of June, I wouldn’t work or anything (if possible) and study like it’s a full time job from graduation until maybe the end of June and take the DAT then. A focused period of dedicated studying should significantly increase your score. It’s an opportunity cost between making some money for a couple months and maximizing your chances of going to dental school, the smarter thing to do is invest some time in advancing your career. After that, getting a dental related job would be good to talk about in interviews this fall.

OP, your gap year is entirely dependent on your interests and where you want to supplement your application. I agree with other replies, focus on getting your DAT to 21+. I wouldn't waste money on additional classes. It's expensive, time consuming, and will most likely only offer a very marginal increase to your GPA.

Post-baccs or masters programs can be helpful if money/time isn't a huge issue for you.

If you are interested in potentially specializing or doing research in dental school, try to find a lab job or clinical research coordinator position. If not, try and make (and save!) some money in a field you enjoy that you could see being applicable later. Stay engaged in dental related activities. Enjoy the time you have off. Go on vacation.

I took a total of two years off and got in with a lower sGPA and 21AA/TS DAT. I worked full time at an academic institution. That being said, other parts of my application (dental, volunteer, leadership, extracurricular experience) were very strong. Good luck :)

During my gap year I spent the first 6 weeks after graduation editing my thesis and studying for the DAT, which I retook, scoring a 24AA/24TS. Then I got a job as a medical scribe (I know, more of a pre-PA school job, but it’s still relevant experience). I continued to shadow dentists when I was burnt out from studying and volunteered with local community programs to assist in disaster relief and provide meals to the less fortunate. I also tutored several students at my university in science or math courses. I spent a good amount of time on my personal hobbies as well like reading books and following rigid gym plans.

My best advice is enjoy everyday, life is precious. Once you get into school, your life will change. I stressed out for several months after applying; it was miserable, so submit your best you and don’t fret.

Visit schools for tours early in the cycle if you have means to and be proactive in improving your application even after your initial submission if you’re really concerned. Hope this makes sense from my personal experience.

During my gap year I spent the first 6 weeks after graduation editing my thesis and studying for the DAT, which I retook, scoring a 24AA/24TS. Then I got a job as a medical scribe (I know, more of a pre-PA school job, but it’s still relevant experience). I continued to shadow dentists when I was burnt out from studying and volunteered with local community programs to assist in disaster relief and provide meals to the less fortunate. I also tutored several students at my university in science or math courses. I spent a good amount of time on my personal hobbies as well like reading books and following rigid gym plans.

My best advice is enjoy everyday, life is precious. Once you get into school, your life will change. I stressed out for several months after applying; it was miserable, so submit your best you and don’t fret.

Visit schools for tours early in the cycle if you have means to and be proactive in improving your application even after your initial submission if you’re really concerned. Hope this makes sense from my personal experience.

Hiiii can you please share how you studied for the sciences? I am also retaking scored 22bio 21 gc 21 oc but my rc was really low.
Thank you.

Hiiii can you please share how you studied for the sciences? I am also retaking scored 22bio 21 gc 21 oc but my rc was really low.
Thank you.

Well, your science scores look fine. Honestly though, I got a 27 GChem and 25 Ochem, and a 22 Bio, but did not study much for either chemistry sections, so I'm unsure if I can provide much insight. I did a few practice tests is all. I have always had a really strong chemistry background and Ochem came very easily to me. For biology on the other hand, I put the majority of my studying time into that. My biology background isn't as strong - I never took anatomy, genetics, or some lower level biology classes. I only took micro, molecular, and cell biology, so I knew that my focus needed to be in biology when studying. For RC, do some practice exams. I completed a master's degree where I got much better at critical reading and paying attention to details, but I think a large part of doing well on RC is having confidence in your answers. RC is in the middle of the exam and is a huge mental step of a long exam. You're exhausted from getting super challenging biology questions, have no idea how you did on chemistry, and you've never seen PAT questions that hard. My best advice is to buckle down and focus during RC and don't dwell on previous sections. I was halfway through the RC section and almost had a breakdown because my first passage was very dense, but had to regather and tell myself that I didn't spend the last 6 weeks studying to retake this stupid exam.

Sorry it's not much, but I hope this helps some - my personal experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is your # 1 school that you would like to get accepted to next cycle? Depending on the school depends on how you would want to spend your gap year

After you take your DAT and hopefully do well in it, take additional science classes to improve your GPA.