Gap year ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sawood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been trying to formulate a plan B for what I'll do for a year if I have to reapply, if only to alleviate some of the stress this cycle of "what am I going to do if I don't get in?" I applied late with average stats, so its possible I'm heading towards reapplication.

I'll have my master's in biomed engineering, but most of the jobs are career positions. I don't feel right lying to a company saying that I intend to stay with them when I would have already resubmitted AMCAS before my first day of work. I'd prefer to find something that is geared towards ~1 year committment that allows me to pay my bills and is somehow related to science, engineering, medicine, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of something (programs, etc) I could look into? For example, there's this thing called Teach America where you teach math/science in underserved areas and you get paid, but they want a two year committment, not one. One idea I had is staying on at my university to get an joint MBA (it would take a little less than a year to complete that).

Seriously, it would just help me sleep better at night knowing about different options I can do if reapplication becomes a reality. Ideas? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The NIH has a postbacc research program aimed at those who are applying to graduate & professional school. The salary isn't much (between 20-30k I think) but they do give time off for interviews and such. You can check it out here.

The NIH has a postbacc research program aimed at those who are applying to graduate & professional school. The salary isn't much (between 20-30k I think) but they do give time off for interviews and such. You can check it out here.

Thanks for link. Unfortunetely the programs on the website are for either people who received their BS less than two years ago, or current graduate students taking a break. I'll be neither of those :(. I'll contact them anyway to see if there's a way I can slide in.

Maybe I'll join the circus, I can juggle three ping pong balls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering going abroad for the year. If that at all interests you can check out websites like (http://www.idealist.org/) for ideas. You won't make money this way (though most programs should cover your expenses) but it's a great way to rest your mind from school for the year, do something amazing and rewarding, and hopefully get some medical-related experience.

The only downside is that you'll have to schedule all your interviews into a 3-4 week block of time, and come back to the U.S. to do your interviews. The med schools I called said that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for link. Unfortunetely the programs on the website are for either people who received their BS less than two years ago, or current graduate students taking a break. I'll be neither of those :(. I'll contact them anyway to see if there's a way I can slide in.

Maybe I'll join the circus, I can juggle three ping pong balls.

Well they do have other programs so browse their site. They have different programs for students, see if you qualify for one. If not, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they'll let you in. Good luck.

I'm spending a year doing disaster response with the Red Cross through Americorps. It's designed as a one year position with a living stipend (which is small) and functions as somewhat of a rotating internship placement. Americorps is the federal umbrella agency that provides the funding for the Red Cross program as well as many others. You might want to check into available programs. They have also been super flexible about taking time off to interview and I'm glad to have chosen this way to spend my gap year.

You could always try to get a contract position at a pharma company doing research, or get a research position at a university. Neither of those positions are career track, and they often expect people to only commit for 12-24 months. This might fit in with your plans.

I like the Americorps idea boodthedog. Is there a rolling start date?

Maybe I'll join the circus, I can juggle three ping pong balls.[/quote]
:):)

I think it will depend on how much financial stress you have. I have a coworker who got his MBA and working in a cardiac lab at the same time (just as a research speciliste of course). After this period of time he went to med school and came back to this lab as a resident.

i have been wondering about the same thing.

i am graduating from undergrad and will be working for 6 months, after which i have no idea what i will be doing so i need some ideas!

that will leave two years between undergrad (class of 08) and matriculation into med school (enter in '10),

does that look bad? do SMPs not accept you if you're more than a year out?